advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I remember watching Once Were Warriors and Romper Stomper with Russell Crowe in the same sitting. Uplifting stuff LOL

Romper I'd recommend to anyone who doubted that Crowe wasn't a charasmatic future star in the making. He steals the show. It also shows the tough parts of Melbourne that I remember 30 years ago that are now trendy / 'gentrified'.
https://www.sbs.com.au/movies/revie...ew-movie-david-stratton-famously-refused-rate

Romper Stomper is a must see, if just for the style. I saw it in the mid-nineties, and it was memorable enough to not watch it again for a while. Violent, but it is part of the story.

The film has impact, a bit like the first time one views American Psycho

Watched The Tomorrow War on Prime last night. Basically a sci-fi version of a zombie movie. The enemy is toothy aliens with tentacles, always coming in great numbers. Heavy weapons smash them up just fine, and even assault rifles can work if you fire enough from the much longer than they look clips. The aliens have no weapons beyond their many many teeth, some nasty projectiles that shoot out the end of their tentacles, and their ability to throw and smash things (they are strong, and great jumpers.)

Still, since they have little in the way of action-at-a-distance weapons, and no anti-tank or anti-aircraft stuff, I can't figure out how they have wiped humanity out except for a remnant of 500,000. Must be magic reproduction, they ate billions of people, and so nourished, made billions more aliens. So, like I said, the zombie idea, just a little more biological about it.

At start of movie, some future soldier guys make an entrance at the World Cup, and inform everyone how crappy things are going just 30 years in the future. A good strategy immediately came into my mind, but not seemingly to anyone in the movie. Future guys instead proceed to suggest that the present send them infantry, they can take about 1000 at a time it seems. Doesn't seem like it would work. It doesn't, though it does occasion a lot of hairy fighting for our brave and gritty heros.

Ultimately a strategy along the lines I thought of initially (with a few twists) is implemented, and the Earth is saved. Great movie if you like seeing rough tough humans tear up alien monster guys, even when it seems impossible. There's a bunch of that.

I had the misfortune of attempting to watch “The Tomorrow War” a few nights ago, managed to suffer about an hr before deciding my time was better spent putting a wash on. Future and more technically advanced versions of us came back in time with current issue automatic rifles that are pretty ineffective in use against the aliens.

Christ sake……….I could’ve put up a better fight as a teenager back in 80’s, we were blowing shit up on my mates farm with the aid of the cookbook and “stuff” made from various materials and fertilisers from the farm/blacksmiths.

Watched The Tomorrow War on Prime last night. Basically a sci-fi version of a zombie movie. The enemy is toothy aliens with tentacles, always coming in great numbers. Heavy weapons smash them up just fine, and even assault rifles can work if you fire enough from the much longer than they look clips. The aliens have no weapons beyond their many many teeth, some nasty projectiles that shoot out the end of their tentacles, and their ability to throw and smash things (they are strong, and great jumpers.)

Still, since they have little in the way of action-at-a-distance weapons, and no anti-tank or anti-aircraft stuff, I can't figure out how they have wiped humanity out except for a remnant of 500,000. Must be magic reproduction, they ate billions of people, and so nourished, made billions more aliens. So, like I said, the zombie idea, just a little more biological about it.

At start of movie, some future soldier guys make an entrance at the World Cup, and inform everyone how crappy things are going just 30 years in the future. A good strategy immediately came into my mind, but not seemingly to anyone in the movie. Future guys instead proceed to suggest that the present send them infantry, they can take about 1000 at a time it seems. Doesn't seem like it would work. It doesn't, though it does occasion a lot of hairy fighting for our brave and gritty heros.

Ultimately a strategy along the lines I thought of initially (with a few twists) is implemented, and the Earth is saved. Great movie if you like seeing rough tough humans tear up alien monster guys, even when it seems impossible. There's a bunch of that.
We watched it too. Not memorable - to me it seemed like a time travel version of Space Troopers with a bit of Beyond Mountains of Madness toward the end. I ended up rooting for the aliens...

I had the misfortune of attempting to watch “The Tomorrow War” a few nights ago, managed to suffer about an hr before deciding my time was better spent putting a wash on. Future and more technically advanced versions of us came back in time with current issue automatic rifles that are pretty ineffective in use against the aliens.

Christ sake……….I could’ve put up a better fight as a teenager back in 80’s, we were blowing shit up on my mates farm with the aid of the cookbook and “stuff” made from various materials and fertilisers from the farm/blacksmiths.
Agreed on most points.

But there were a LOT of them, and they were legit hard to kill, especially females.

Enjoying Katla. Set in Iceland in a village under a volcano that’s been erupting for a year and missing people start reappearing covered in ash. It has the feel of referencing ancient folk myths and modern human insecurities, very atmospheric and tense.

Last edited:
Watching the Tomorrow War a gorganzola-fest of plot holes but, like Greenland, a bit of fun. Where are nukes when you need em and I take it lasers and railguns just didn't work out eh?

Lovecraft Country.....I wasn't expecting much but two episodes in and I'm wishing I could binge it.....HBO so its dripped out weekly. I never though anyone could do Lovecraft Justice but this is a damn good attempt so far.

Bumped into this a wee while ago and just finished it. I've not read the book but it was strangely enjoyable with an unusual mix of backdrop, drama, dabbled hiistory and scifi.

Watched "Before I go to sleep" on prime at the weekend - pretty good movie -ignore the rotten tomatoes low scores.

Watched Deepwater Horizon last night and was quite impressed for a Hollywood blockbuster take on a real world disaster. The scenes of the rig exploding and people trying to get out and off it into the lifeboats were genuinely harrowing. Not sure about the slightly invented plotlines around how it happened, but the rest of the movie works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back