advertisement

Stormy weather

piccadilly

pfm Member
Thunder forecast across much of the country. I will be taking the usual precaution of unplugging the hi fi system before going to bed tonight.

Plenty of info of potential damage done to hi-fi systems by power surges on this forum and on the Naim forum too..

BBC weather has been telling me for 4 days now that there will torrential rain and thunder. But no sign of it. Quite nice mackerel clouds and blue patches all day.

We had a thunder storm around us for about 90 minutes late afternoon yesterday. I did think about unplugging stuff but didn't in the end as it didn't seem quite overhead. Lots of rain though!

I don’t think storms are forecast here, but if they were I might be inclined to unplug my router, as mine was wiped out by a lightning strike a few years ago, along with a couple of things connected to it (PVR, DVD player) - as well as the particular HDMI socket on the TV that the DVD machine was connected to.

Raining Datsun Cogs in Wiltshire intermittently

I haven’t heard that joke punchline since the 1970’s. “Raining Datsun Cogs…”

Can’t remember the joke, but always remembered the punchline.

No storm yet, North of Nottingham.

I don’t think storms are forecast here, but if they were I might be inclined to unplug my router, as mine was wiped out by a lightning strike a few years ago, along with a couple of things connected to it (PVR, DVD player) - as well as the particular HDMI socket on the TV that the DVD machine was connected to.

ditto the router.
Both systems are on a dedicated spur so it’s easy just to isolate at the fuse box. Never worked out whether the spur improved SQ, but it’s convenient.

Ref 'unplugging the router' - the main culprit for damage to routers & items connected to it is not just from the mains plug but the 'EMP' that inevitably travels out along the telephone lines anywhere near a strike.
So pull the incoming cable from the phone socket as well.
The works router & telephone system has been totalled once, and the alarm system a fair few times.

Ref 'unplugging the router' - the main culprit for damage to routers & items connected to it is not just from the mains plug but the 'EMP' that inevitably travels out along the telephone lines anywhere near a strike.
So pull the incoming cable from the phone socket as well.
The works router & telephone system has been totalled once, and the alarm system a fair few times.

assuming your broadband arrives by "telephone line"

Yep, time to flip the master switch and enjoy the light show…. Unless in sneaks up from the north or east of course: be over the hill and apon us before you can say ‘bobs yer uncle’

BBC weather has been telling me for 4 days now that there will torrential rain and thunder. But no sign of it. Quite nice mackerel clouds and blue patches all day.
You should have it now. There’s a river running down our street and it’s only started.

advertisement

Back