advertisement

Tom Waits’ 20 favorite albums

I could never really see it myself but I guess this is proof that the cover of "Heart Of A Saturday Night" is a homage to "In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning"

I have 3 of them.

Trout Mask Replica, the Frank Sinatra and Elvis Costello ‘The Delivery Man’ which I like but don’t play as much as When I Was Cruel.

Wow! Didn't expect Elvis Costello's The Delivery Man to be on the list. It's one of five I have, the others are Beefheart, Dylan, The Pogues and the Stones.

It's pretty meaningless these days, but I have 12 of albums in one form or another and I'm not even that much of a Tom Waits fan.

The Alan Lomax Collection is actually 'Murderer's Home' not 'Murderous Home'.

'The Delivery Man' is a really good call, Elvis's best album since Blood and Chocolate.

Edit: Make that 11 - I only have the 2nd Marc Ribot and Los Cubanos Postizos album.

I’ve only got four (Sinatra, Monk, Beefheart, Cohen). By saying that I’ve only got two Tom Waits albums (Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs).

My immediate thought that there isn't a female represented in the list. I don't recognise a couple of the artists so apologise if they have slipped under my radar.

Reactions: kjb
You're missing out Tony

I’m sure you are right, but he’s one of those artists that I’ve sampled quite a chunk of his catalogue but never progress beyond a ‘yes, that’s pretty good, but it’s no Swordfishtrombones’ response. He’s actually an artist that got pruned as I always go for those two albums, which are the first ones I bought. It needs to be said I’m not someone who overly focuses on lyrics, so he may well be saying all manner of clever funny stuff and I haven’t noticed!

I’m sure you are right, but he’s one of those artists that I’ve sampled quite a chunk of his catalogue but never progress beyond a ‘yes, that’s pretty good, but it’s no Swordfishtrombones’ response. He’s actually an artist that got pruned as I always go for those two albums, which are the first ones I bought. It needs to be said I’m not someone who overly focuses on lyrics, so he may well be saying all manner of clever funny stuff and I haven’t noticed!

Rain Dogs is special for sure. I like the Asylum albums too

I've got 9 ( Sinatra/ Beefheart /Monk/ Stones/ Dylan / Lounge Lizards / Pogues/ Cohen/ Ribot). I think I had the Bryers CD a while back that it's long gone. But then I do love Waits so it's all coherent.

I must check the Costello. I gave up on him after Spike: maybe I've missed something?? He was testing my patience by that point.

( Correction: I seem to have something called Secret, Profane and Sugarcane that someone gave me as a leaving present. Can't say I recall much about it.... Must give it a spin)

I have ten of those. Nothing by Tom Waits though, he’s never really appealed. I particularly disliked his version of ‘Jesus’ Blood...’ - ironic, as like him I love the original.

Last edited:
I've got 9 ( Sinatra/ Beefheart /Monk/ Stones/ Dylan / Lounge Lizards / Pogues/ Cohen/ Ribot). I think I had the Bryers CD a while back that it's long gone. But then I do love Waits so it's all coherent.

I must check the Costello. I gave up on him after Spike: maybe I've missed something?? He was testing my patience by that point.

( Correction: I seem to have something called Secret, Profane and Sugarcane that someone gave me as a leaving present. Can't say I recall much about it.... Must give it a spin)
Have a listen to When I Was Cruel…

Have a listen to When I Was Cruel…

At the risk of derailing the thread, I've always through Costello was one of those artists who never really transcend his first record. I saw him with The Attractions at The Nashville Rooms after My Aim is True and just before This Year's Model and he was quite extraordinary.

Back to Waits --

I have ten of those. Nothing by Tom Waits though, he’s never really appealed. I particularly disliked his version of ‘Jesus’ Blood...’

I think you're missing something - you might revisit "Mule Variations" and "Alice" which are my two favorites although, tbh, I'll take most of his records maybe with the exception of "Heartattack and Vine", "Bad as Me" and "Real Gone"" each of which, IMO, is a bit tired.

advertisement

Back