Broad beans cooked with lemon rind

Charentais

Walnuts and dried apricots.

Coffee

What could go wrong?

This is the pic of my street

2-C932519-2-C19-465-E-A50-E-B63420-EC8265.jpg

What could go wrong?
Bummer. The village in France from which I have just come back was due to hold its huge annual braderie today. After ten days of sun, the forecast was for non-stop rain. As it was here at Marchbanks Towers - but so far not a drop, warm and 50% blue sky.

51334451321_da670d6415_z.jpg

I’d never tried this before last night, although I knew it had a good reputation. It cost me £16.50 in a Waitrose promo in March 2020. Mainly Syrah with decreasing amounts of Grenache, Cinsault and CS (plus 1% Viognier, taste that if you can) it put me in mind of a rather good Languedoc. Very enjoyable - but I didn’t get the chocolate bit at all. A fair bit of oak too, as far as this oakophobe is concerned - but just on the right side of too much. It went spectacularly well with a chunk of Bleu du Vercors, and otherwise was matched with a lot of enjoyable guitar abuse and ranty grumpiness from Marc Ribot on Ceramic Dog’s Your Turn.

Last edited:
Continuing my Italian groove with another Conterno Fantino, but just a lowly Barbera this time. Despite comments on CT I think it got better on the second day.
I like Barbera from a top producer as they are relatively good value and are ready before I pop my clogs, unlike Barolo. Have placed most of my bets on Giacomo Conterno.

I should have been enjoying some rosé this weekend but got the following email from the
wine society.

"We are sorry to say that due to shipping difficulties, this wine has been delayed in reaching The Wine Society. The estimated arrival date is now mid-August.

The reason for the delay is a lack of haulage on both sides of the Channel combined with ongoing Brexit customs delays causing port congestion."
It's all been said before.

I should have been enjoying some rosé this weekend but got the following email from the
wine society.

"We are sorry to say that due to shipping difficulties, this wine has been delayed in reaching The Wine Society. The estimated arrival date is now mid-August.

The reason for the delay is a lack of haulage on both sides of the Channel combined with ongoing Brexit customs delays causing port congestion."
It's all been said before.
Strange, last week I ordered a dozen bottles that were delivered across the length of France in three days. For under five euros, too. None of the merchants there seem to be having trouble with haulage.

If customs delays are the real problem I could always rent Serge out to the Wine Soc’s hauliers in order to guarantee them a quick, trouble-free passage through.

Strange, last week I ordered a dozen bottles that were delivered across the length of France in three days. For under five euros, too. None of the merchants there seem to be having trouble with haulage.

If customs delays are the real problem I could always rent Serge out to the Wine Soc’s hauliers in order to guarantee them a quick, trouble-free passage through.
Would that be Serge de Nîmes?
I suppose he would be good at flanneling.

51336664752_2856b9f736_z.jpg

I thought I would try a Beaujolais on the last night of summery weather for a while. I pulled the cork about half an hour before drinking, but it didn’t really hit its stride for a while after - I should have opened it earlier, or at least given it a good shake in the TK Maxx decanter. Conversely, although I could definitely identify it as Beaujolais when I first tasted it (the slight banana peel sensations) an hour or so afterwards when they had disappeared I couldn’t have been so certain. And if I had to guess right now I would probably go for Burgundy. Bang goes any remaining shred of credibility. Excellent and interesting stuff, a bargain at the 10€ I paid. I think I’d take this over the Ronsay, but I’ll enjoy a few bottles of the latter for now while I give my remaining stocks of this (five more) a bit longer. And on my recent trip I picked up six of the 2019 at the same price. Hooray!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back