advertisement

Devialet or Audionet?

I'm also in the group of long term Devialet owners, like others, mine has been back for an upgrade which whilst expensive, wasn't unreasonable at 25% of the new cost and a new 5 year warranty to bring up to latest spec.

I haven't heard Audionet so they may be better but definitely some of the negative comments above about Devialet as a company are just wrong!

Whilst I can’t speak for Audionet, my move from Naim to Devialet has been the best amplifier upgrade I’ve made in 35 years of this hobby. The sound quality (dynamics, detail, power) flexibility and build quality have been a revelation.

Incidentally I’m using an Expert D250, which I find to be a sublime one box solution.

I'm a happy Devialet owner since 2016, a Le250 upgraded to a 250 Pro CI. The family love it because of its functionality, whether Spotify, Airplay or Roon. For us the looks are a distraction as the unit is hidden in a cupboard. It has an astonishing amount of good tech that I did not appreciate until I'd had it a while.

Devialet's problem with Expert is that they pretty much reached the end of the road with what they wanted to do with it with hardware (the Pro range in 2016) and Roon integration in 2019, so they probably have a lot of long-term users like me.

I heard a D200 about 10 years ago and was only moderately impressed. The Le 250 was a lot better amp and the 250 Pro is a more dynamic amp again with much improved digital (the Core Infinity board) and Roon. So a D200 is a an OK machine, but two generations old and a new Expert 140 Pro CI would be a better bet and fine with Cremona's.

Devialet are built with extreme quality control and are very reliable. I've never heard of one fail. I would be reluctant to buy one privately because their model is based on strong dealer and retailer relationships and if there was ever a problem I would just get the dealer to sort it out. Upgrades are door-to-door collect and return in about 2 weeks.

Whilst I can’t speak for Audionet, my move from Naim to Devialet has been the best amplifier upgrade I’ve made in 35 years of this hobby. The sound quality (dynamics, detail, power) flexibility and build quality have been a revelation.

Incidentally I’m using an Expert D250, which I find to be a sublime one box solution.

Having heard Audionet and being a previous Naim (52/SCap/135's) owner I always thought Audionet would be the perfect upgrade for Naim owners, and not Vitus as many seemed to go to.

Looks can be deceiving. Although the pattern of the Arcam shares an almost similar resemblance to the Audionet Watt, it looks plasticky cheap with the soft looking plastics of the panels. Just by looking at the Arcam you can sense it's a cheap AVR amp. Scrutinise the details and the weight of the Arcam is 10.25kg which is less than some budget integrated amps despite its £2,499 price tag. On the other hand the Audionet Watt is made from solid chunk of metal. Look at the details of the front panel. It's textured steel/metal. At 25kg the Watt is more than twice the weight of the Arcam.

In summary, the Arcam looks cheap and the Audionet looks solid expensive. They don't look the same too me at all even by judging from the photos, especially the build quality. In real life if they are placed side by side I think the differences may be even more apparent.

Being an Audionet fan i maybe biased but i can reassure anyone out there, they are built to last a lifetime and the styling of distinctly Bauhaus - so timeless and classic.

Believe me it doesn't compare, by even 20%, i owned a Superuniti prior to the the Devialet D220 then Audionet DNA 1, then the DNA 2.0, a year later i added an EPS G2. The latter being better than many £20K amps demoed at home over about a year.

advertisement

Back