advertisement

Technics SL1210mk2 Vs SL1210gr

Pinky

In suspense, not compressed
Is anyone aware if there is much difference in sound quality between these two decks?

Yes, the GR is a big step up from a stock MK2. Quieter and more composed, but keeping the originals sense of drive.

Don't know what MK2 prices are like these days, but suspect that a GR new retail is still quite a bit more than the price of good MK2.

Thanks for that and agree that a used MK2 is significantly cheaper than a GR.
So the question in my mind is whether the sound quality difference makes it worth stumping the extra to have a GR.

Aren't GR made for home audio while MK2 are for DJ.?
Never had a MK2 but can vouch for GR, much better than I thought - a keeper, I've got a Japanese.., manufacture now moved to Malaysia.

I'm not sure but from what I've read either could be used for dj'ing.
Good to hear about your GR and I didn't know that manufacturing had moved.
A used MK2 seems to go for around half the price of a used GR. Hence me wondering how much better the GR sounds.

I have both. The gr is better (obviously) it’s quieter, better resolution. But I wouldn’t say it’s twice as good, diminishing returns etc. Some of the build quality on the mk2 is actually better.

If you can get a mk2 for under £400 then I’d go for it. My mk2’s were bought in 96 and have been serviced once and still going strong. I love my gr but I don’t think I could ever part with my mk2’s (mainly for sentimental reasons tho).

Aren't GR made for home audio while MK2 are for DJ.?
Never had a MK2 but can vouch for GR, much better than I thought - a keeper, I've got a Japanese.., manufacture now moved to Malaysia.

SL1200 Series were designed by Technics for home hifi use, but then they were adopted for use in clubs by DJ's and became ubiquitous in those circles.
So in the later versions Technics added features specific to the club role, wider range of pitch adjustment/pitch reset button, and few other small things that I cannot recall.

Yes, the price difference makes the Mk2 more tempting but if a nice used GR came along it would be hard to resist!

Gza - I'd be interested to know which parts of the Mk2 have better build quality

Yes, the price difference makes the Mk2 more tempting but if a nice used GR came along it would be hard to resist!

Gza - I'd be interested to know which parts of the Mk2 have better build quality

the arm lift feels a bit sturdier on the mk2, as does the pop up light. Both minor quibbles, which tbh I hardly use. apart from that, the gr is impeccable.

The trouble is finding a nice condition mk2 is not easy either and they still go for serious money, so many I've seen look ok but have been given a hard time.

The trouble is finding a nice condition mk2 is not easy either and they still go for serious money, so many I've seen look ok but have been given a hard time.

Yes, that is a problem and of course makes a GR more attractive. Plus of course the GR would be a lot newer. The only drawback is the price differential but I can understand why that is.

advertisement

Back