advertisement

Devialet or Audionet?

I thought it was only Devialet speakers that were unserviceable.
That is the rumour for the speakers not the amps but that seems not to be true either.
The amps are definitely serviceable but like most with lots of surface mount components will possibly be board replacement rather than component replacement.
I have Devialet and I would say it is the cleanest, ie least coloured, amp I have heard which is particularly impressive in the bass.
I do have the Speakers too, 6 years old so just out of warranty. I have seen a video of a tech stripping one down so the no serviceability story seems to be a myth.
IMO the speakers are particularly good for the price.

I have had Devialet for almost 6 years, the amps have had two trips to Paris for upgrades (first from D200-D220 and then from D220 to D440 CI when I got the second unit). I paid for the board upgrades and they came back as good as new each time and have the latest features in the products. This has seen support for SAM (the speaker matching), RAM (the on the fly phono configuration), Roon etc added.

In my 30+ years of owning audio gear, I have to say that’s pretty rare and I think totally inaccurate to say they are not serviceable. I’ve previously owned Naim and Linn and they have offered some upgrade programs too but not many other brands have supported and upgraded the amps like Devialet have.

I should add - I chose to move to Devialet after a 1-week home loan from the dealer here in Dublin, so I had a great chance to listen and use the unit before buying. There’s really no substitute for good demos in your own system.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Devialet is fully servicable,great looking,takes little space,sounds high class and the 5 year warranty is fully transferable to the new owner.

Meridian? Linn? Naim? Benchmark? All produce similar options, or Bel Canto?

I already have a Naim. I don’t think a SN would be a massive upgrade. Meridian and Linn don’t make integrated amps in this class. I think Bel Canto does neither. And afaik Benchmark don’t make integrated amps at all…?

I already have a Naim. I don’t think a SN would be a massive upgrade. Meridian and Linn don’t make integrated amps in this class. I think Bel Canto does neither. And afaik Benchmark don’t make integrated amps at all…?

I own a DNA 2.0 with an upgraded EPS power supply which is a very worthwhile partner. It's just stonkingly good - and is also room tuneable with the Audionet CAMRA software. I also previously owned a Naim SN with with Avondale PS. Like CK says, there is just no competition with the Naim - and there shouldn't be, given the price differential. I don't have any experience with Devialet. The DNA 2.0/EPS G2 breathes life into music like no other amp I've owned - not sure if they are a match for SF speakers though, aren't they supposed to gel with ARC amps?

That looks like a 500 quid CA receiver ...

I think the CA probably looks better. At least it has a knob.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SPSVPCW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Sorry, couldn't help it. I am sure it sounds good.
The Devialet looks like an oversized DVD player to me. Only the remote looks high tech and good.

The Audionet Watt looks a lot better than the DNA but since the OP wasn't looking at it, I didn't bring it up.

Screenshot-20210722-203613.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
- not sure if they are a match for SF speakers though, aren't they supposed to gel with ARC amps?

Perhaps it's just that they were sold by the same distributor in the UK? AS normally would have recommended either Krell or Audio Research as they were the distributor for all three brands.
Now that they are being distributed by Fine Sounds in the UK I'd expect to see SFs demonstrated along side Mcintosh.
IME the Cremonas will perform well with any good amplification, okay maybe not single figure output SET amps but will work well with fairly modest output amps.
I've only heard an Audionet amp once, a single box integrated, when first introduced and distributed in the by WB. Although in show conditions and through a pair of WB's newly introduced 'entry level' ARC speakers it was one of the nicest sounding systems that day.
The Devialet amps are very swish looking, I think that at least one forum member uses a combo of the Devialet and later SF Olympica floorstanders.

Devialet is so….. yesterday. This is what puzzles me. For years it was touted as Gods gift to mankind and everyone (well some) raved about it. Now dealers find them hard to shift I’m reliably informed. Comments on here seem to support these assertions.

Devialet is so….. yesterday. This is what puzzles me. For years it was touted as Gods gift to mankind and everyone (well some) raved about it. Now dealers find them hard to shift I’m reliably informed. Comments on here seem to support these assertions.
They raved about it just as they raved about Linn and Naim etc. They will likely become classics. They are beautifully designed, very well built and can often sound sublime. Perfect credentials. Having seen,touched and heard a 1000, you can see where the praise came from. But like all hifi, it’s not for everyone.

I have had Devialet for almost 6 years, the amps have had two trips to Paris for upgrades (first from D200-D220 and then from D220 to D440 CI when I got the second unit). I paid for the board upgrades and they came back as good as new each time and have the latest features in the products. This has seen support for SAM (the speaker matching), RAM (the on the fly phono configuration), Roon etc added.

In my 30+ years of owning audio gear, I have to say that’s pretty rare and I think totally inaccurate to say they are not serviceable. I’ve previously owned Naim and Linn and they have offered some upgrade programs too but not many other brands have supported and upgraded the amps like Devialet have.

I should add - I chose to move to Devialet after a 1-week home loan from the dealer here in Dublin, so I had a great chance to listen and use the unit before buying. There’s really no substitute for good demos in your own system.
My experience too. I intended to ‘downgrade’ from my previous pre/power amps and SACD player and bought a D200. What a revelation, so now have two 220s which will form a 440 when I move into my new place.

Om other forums most people prefer the D200 even over the 3400…

Maybe Hegel is a worthwile alternative?

I can only really speak about Devialet, which I have used happily since 2013, but my limited experience of Hegel (at a hifi show) didn't impress. No experience of Audionet.

But really this thread just demonstrates that people tend to recommend stuff they actually use, and, since people have different tastes, they will use different things.

I would observe that HiFi is mainly a fashion business and this has been reinforced by working in different countries. What. the journalists rave about tends to be whatever the local well connected importers and manufacturers are selling because they get the best reviews and that permeates through.
Back in d'Agostino's ownership the Krell was the amplifier most praised here in UK magazines. Levinson stuff rarely got a mention but if it did it was "meh".
I then went to work in France and the magazines there were the opposite. It was evident then that it had to do with improter having a good relationship with reviewers, or so it seemed to me.
Ever since Devialet dropped Absolute Sound as a distributor its image has faded.
I still think mine is the least coloured amp I have heard so far, but I am an old bloke totally uninterested by fashion and an engineer so pretty technical bs resistant.

advertisement

Back