advertisement

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3 Review.

I much prefer the look of the Nait 1 to the 2. Perfect piece of design, that. I don't think they ever bettered it.

What?! I’ve had 2 Olives and about 5 CBs. I just don’t like the little knobs in the middle of the Olive and those tractor wheels on the CB just look so right….

Now I understand why some call the early Naits ‘agricultural.’
I’m on a learning curve...

I would not have been able to afford such speakers but as @TonyScarlett knows I picked a virtually new pair up for 60% of the retail price.

They are rather lovely.
KMTzv3A.jpg

It looks like the speaker is in a box. I hope that’s not their usual place.

Family life is full of compromise. A new house in the future will provide a better location but it is better than it possibly looks. Rega RP6, AURALiC Aries Mini and Chord Qutest to the right of shot.
w05zlOM.jpg

ABBQOpR

Family life is full of compromise. A new house in the future will provide a better location but it is better than it possibly looks. Rega RP6, AURALiC Aries Mini and Chord Qutest to the right of shot.
w05zlOM.jpg

ABBQOpR
Have you tried pulling the speakers forward to be flush with the box opening?

They are 1 inch on one side and 3 inches in the other with the toe in. Spendor recommend that they are toed in. They sound fine to me.

They are 1 inch on one side and 3 inches in the other with the toe in. Spendor recommend that they are toed in. They sound fine to me.
Yes, I've had a pair of 3/5R2s for a few days now and concur that they sound best toed-in so they are on- or close to on-axis. My suggestion was aimed at reducing the contribution of early reflections off the nearby four surfaces of the enclosing box, speaking from previous experience of having mini monitors on my desk and observing a significant improvement in focus and clarity when I reduced the 'desk bounce' reflection by laying acoustic foam between the speakers and desk. However, if they sound good to you as they are then that's all that matters.

Thanks for the suggestion ToTo Man but they are pretty close to the front to avoid any bounce. I had a pair of 3/5R2s that I stupidly sold. Excellent speakers.

Cannot really comment as they were in another room with a different set up. All I can say is the the 4/5s are smaller in size and fit my situation well. The midrange is to die for and I do not find them lacking in bass.

As always you need to have them in your system at home to see how they work for you. But I would highly recommend them :)

Time to get back to the Stirlings….

Yes, I've had a pair of 3/5R2s for a few days now and concur that they sound best toed-in so they are on- or close to on-axis. My suggestion was aimed at reducing the contribution of early reflections off the nearby four surfaces of the enclosing box, speaking from previous experience of having mini monitors on my desk and observing a significant improvement in focus and clarity when I reduced the 'desk bounce' reflection by laying acoustic foam between the speakers and desk. However, if they sound good to you as they are then that's all that matters.
I may have to place minis in a large book case and was thinking about sitting them on damping material and your post got me thinking- would there be any value in filling the gap between the cabinets and the shelving/ side walls with foam cuts or indeed books?

I may have to place minis in a large book case and was thinking about sitting them on damping material and your post got me thinking- would there be any value in filling the gap between the cabinets and the shelving/ side walls with foam cuts or indeed books?

I think so. I actually once had my LS3/5a's surrounded by books. Damping foam should be better. Just try it, you can always reverse it. The idea is of course to get rid of early reflections.

Surrounding by something solid like books will apparently act as a baffle extender and alter the speaker's F3 (baffle step correction equalisation circuit), potentially increasing lower midrange / upper bass output, which may or may not be desirable. You could try both ways, encasing the speaker in books and encasing the speaker in acoustic foam, to see which sounds better. :)

I bought a pair of V2s from a seller local to me recently and he had them on the end of two huge Harmon Kardon PA amps with a Blousound Node 2 hooked up to a laptop, absolutely astonishing, best sound I've heard from a set up, the speakers sounded amazing in fact they completely disappeared in the guy's room, the music was floating just above the height of the speakers which were on 600mm stands.

Piano and female and male vocals were just beautiful.

When I got the speakers home I hooked them up to my Yamaha N-803D receiver and they sounded brilliant too and I loved them however with the seller's set up they were in a different league.

Wonderfull speakers, best I've ever owned.

Last edited:
I find this is usually the case…

PoFoLEL.jpg

(The Nait2 at the bottom is mine. The Nait 1 was mine and the other Nait2 were bought by a lucky fellow).

My Nait2 feeds some Spendor Classic 4/5s.

Naim very generously donated a couple of Naits to Salisbury Arts Centre for piped music. When I was manning reception at 11 am one morning, I deployed them to terrify the hell out of a bunch of grannies in the cafe with Kevin Ayers' 'Colores Para Dolores'.

advertisement

Back