advertisement

Recommend me a new wireless Keyboard and Mouse for PC

colasblue

pfm Member
Hi Guys,

My main home office PC has an ageing Trust Keyboard and mouse which now seems to have become very unreliable despite only needing to transmit a metre or so.

Regular keystroke drops and mouse drop outs (and yes I've changed the batteries and it hasn't improved any).

Given I use this machine a lot I think something quite decent and comfortable is in order. It would also be nice if it was backlit but I'm not sure how compatible that is with being wireless. I might actually settle for Wired backlit keyboard and wireless mouse if it proves difficult to combine the two.

Suggestions please?

It would also be nice if it wasn't too expensive.

Also the keyboard must have a separate numerical keypad.

TIA

Cherry used to be an excellent brand, nowadays there are unusable. It took me a while to figure out that the double letters I typed all the time were not due to my age, but to the Cherry keyboards I was still a fan of. Note: they all do that, wired and wireless, and all of them.

Lenovo for me nowadays. And Logitech but only the upmarket types.

Logitech, I'm using a cheap mouse and keyboard from one usb dongle and it works faultlessly, replaced a previous one which was similar and lasted years, batteries last for ages as well, I think they are under £20.

I have a logitech set on the mediacentre PC in the living room, and it works very well across the room, but it isn't backlit.

I really wanted a backlit one if at all possible.

Maybe something like this, but I really want to hear from people actually using them and who are able to recommend them since a lot of cheaper keyboards are a bit rubbish.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SCBP8W7/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I can recommend Seenda from Amazon. Been using mine for over a year now WFH long hours and it has been great. Prices have gone up considerably by the looks of things, but still not bad at well under £30.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Colas. It depends how much you’ll be using it and what features you really want. If you haven’t checked already, have a look at CCL Computers online - they are pretty reliable and competitive and have a good range available for delivery. I use mine for hours every day and have a Logitech with tactile mechanical keys and backlighting but it isn’t wireless and was quite pricey. CCL have a simpler wireless Logitech combo for £46 that looks good if it will do everything you need.

Microsoft or Logitech, in that order. Bluetooth keyboards are rarely backlit, as the lighting eats battery power, but you could get a small, LED reading-light aimed at the keyboard if you need lighting.

(keep the wired keyboard handy even if you go wireless - a lot of PCs don’t let you use a Bluetooth keyboard to get into the BIOS!)

I use a Microsoft Surface Ergonomic keyboard: Buy Surface Ergonomic Keyboard - Microsoft Store en-GB
There’s also a straight, “non-Ergonomic” version: Buy Surface Keyboard - Microsoft Store en-GB
.. both of these have the same excellent key action; only the shape differs. There are cheaper Bluetooth and wired keyboards from Microsoft, and while they’re not quite as excellent as the Surface pair, they are still among the best reasonably-priced keyboards you can get.

If you want to stick with Wired, there are good mechanical-switch keyboards out there and not all of them are lit up like Christmas-trees (Das Keyboard is one of the better-known names); mechanical keyboards are loud, though, and you’ll either love or hate them.

If you can visit a local warehouse PC store, it’s worth trying some of these: what I like in a keyboard might not suit you.

For a mouse, I wouldn’t recommend anything in particular: a lot of the difference between a mouse being good or bad is down to the size and shape of your hand. I got the Surface Mouse (the one sold for £49 on the Microsoft website) when I bought that keyboard, but now, about 3 years later, the left mouse-button only registers about 90% of the time (and it’s hard to open the bugger without breaking it), so I would be slow to recommend it.

Definitely agree with the suggestion to go to a store if you can, and try out a few different types and see what you prefer. After reading KrisW's post above I checked back and the Logitech wireless keyboard I mentioned above at CCL does not come with backlighting due to issues with battery life. You can get a backlit wireless keyboard if you look, but they are considerably more expensive.

I use a logitec Master3 mouse and MX Keys keyboard. Mainly because the keyboard is connected to a PC and a Mac, and because the mouse has a really handy lateral scroll wheel. Both are connected with the Unify system, and so far (touch wood, etc.) seem to work well.

Another strong vote for the Logitech MX Keys. Finally a product of real build quality, in a time when I thought such things extinct. Works for PC, MacBook of my GF as well as my iPad.

Not cheap, and that's exactly how it feels. :)

I have 2 a Logitech and a Microsoft. I prefer the Logitech because the Microsoft has an annoying habit of ignoring the first letter typed as it wakes up. The Logitech just works.

I tend to stick to Microsoft keyboards and mice and I've had better results with them than with any others, especially for wireless. I've long since stopped buying wireless keyboards though as they're a solution without a problem for me, so I stick with wired keyboards for now.

I've never had a backlit wireless keyboard and that does sound like it'd be a bit of a pain for battery use, however I've had various wired backlit keyboards and would agree with others here that the Logitech ones have been the best. My son has a Logitech G513 backlit keyboard which is very good.

advertisement

Back