advertisement

Replacing DNM Reson spk cable with.. ??

Interconnect inductance and resistance is totally unimportant (the load is at least 10k)
My concern is that with widely spaced wires you have an efficient antenna

The effect of high resistance speaker leads is going to be very variable between different speakers. It will tend to improve vocals by cutting deep bass a bit - its a tone control

My stuff specificatios

Sherbourn
https://www.questforsound.com/preamps/preamps_sherbourn_pre1.htm

Marantz 2285b
http://www.dnaelectronics.ca/specs/marantz_2285b.html

Can post some photos to :)

Only just caught up with this actual thread. Some confusion previously on my part because Cicero emailed me directly to ask about an 'RF problem'. Which is, of course, not the same as wondering if a fancy cable alters the sound at audio frequencies. The page Arkless referred to earlier is concerned to a large extent with risks to stability due to cable/load combinations. Not sound quality when the amp is stable.

Bottom line: if you want to play games changing cables, to see if you 'like the change', only *you* can decide if you do, or if you're wasting your time and money. I stopped bothering with that decades ago. But then I use an unconditionally stable amp and short leads.

As the OP, I would like to say thanks (again) for the responses. The original question/issue has long been resolved, partly by some cheap van damme but mostly by major life distractions such as getting married, buying a dilapidated house to do up & starting a family. Probably the most costly way to address system shortcomings, I fear.

Here
As the OP, I would like to say thanks (again) for the responses. The original question/issue has long been resolved, partly by some cheap van damme but mostly by major life distractions such as getting married, buying a dilapidated house to do up & starting a family. Probably the most costly way to address system shortcomings, I fear.

Very witty report on the directions of life. :D

Cicero emailed me again. To avoid having to deal with this in two places, I'll shift that here:

Cicero's email: "So, let's assume I do have a problem with RF. Than, there are better ways
solving it. If we assume I do NOT have this problem, than, the DNM cable does't add
nothing at all?"

Simpler to just start with evidence. What evidence do you have that you *do* have an "RF problem"? Without evidence we could spin our wheels forever inventing 'possible' problems... that you don't have. i.e. waste time and effort.

The webpage that was referred to was *specifically* about *power amp* - cable - speaker interactions in the context of the risk of leading to amplifier instability situations. Not about any cables 'sounding better' than others. Nor about other kinds of "RF problem".

What are "unconditionally stable amplifiers"? Is there a particular typology that is inherently more stable than others and if so which products are the best examples?

Cicero emailed me again. To avoid having to deal with this in two places, I'll shift that here:

Cicero's email: "So, let's assume I do have a problem with RF. Than, there are better ways
solving it. If we assume I do NOT have this problem, than, the DNM cable does't add
nothing at all?"

Simpler to just start with evidence. What evidence do you have that you *do* have an "RF problem"? Without evidence we could spin our wheels forever inventing 'possible' problems... that you don't have. i.e. waste time and effort.

The webpage that was referred to was *specifically* about *power amp* - cable - speaker interactions in the context of the risk of leading to amplifier instability situations. Not about any cables 'sounding better' than others. Nor about other kinds of "RF problem".

Hello Jim. Thank you kindly for the answer. For me it's just an cientific method hipothesis kind of question.

If A, than B? If C, than D?
I understand you don't have intent in cable discussion anymore. Also, as I said in the last part of the e-mail, I understand your study is for a very specific situation involving DNM. Sorry if a I bother you. It just happens that you study the cable more than I could ever did, with proper knowledge that
I don't have.

What are "unconditionally stable amplifiers"? Is there a particular typology that is inherently more stable than others and if so which products are the best examples?

In general, well designed amps are unconditionally stable. That means the won't burst into oscillations *whatever* load you connect to their output. Most domestic amps should be in this category. But a part of that tends to be them including an output network.

Not specifically a matter of topology. Matter of careful design and knowing (as a design engineer) that nature can bite you if you don't take care. IIRC I wrote a webpage on this ages ago. I'll see if I can find it.

How funny - I failed to notice that this thread started in 2012. Life for the OP has clearly moved on, but "just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"

How funny - I failed to notice that this thread started in 2012. Life for the OP has clearly moved on, but "just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"

I purchased a DNM cable and I want to talk about the experience. So I found this topic. I'm in some doubts, however

I purchased a DNM cable and I want to talk about the experience. So I found this topic. I'm in some doubts, however
Did you audition the cable before you purchased? Do you recognise any of the criticisms of the cable, from your own experience, or is your experience different? I tried some of the Reson speaker cable, about 20 years ago and hated it. No bass energy at to speak of. I spent slightly more on some NVA cable and the difference was stark. But I won't assume the cable has stayed the same in the intervening 20 years, so I'm curious as to whether it has changed or still has the same basic attributes.

I use DNM resolution in 12 foot lengths. I also use other stuff in longer lengths. If there is a difference in sound between them, it's so minor that I can't be faffed to figure it out.

Cables of course have no sound... it's just a cable... but if you make them long and thin enough then resistance, and in a very few extreme cases inductance, will cause tone control like effects in the ways already mentioned up thread. In the case of DNM original single thin core stuff it's so thin that "normal" lengths will do this! Just take any normal cable and connect a 1 Ohm resistor in line with it to exactly replicate the effect!

Arkless, and others: There is a whole 35 page thread on (I think very pricey) LS40/80 speaker cables, with much colorful and detailed description of their merits and the difference these cables make in a system. My DNM (the thickest variety) and other cables I've tried are "just cables" to my ears too. Am I missing out on something?

Arkless, and others: There is a whole 35 page thread on (I think very pricey) LS40/80 speaker cables, with much colorful and detailed description of their merits and the difference these cables make in a system. My DNM (the thickest variety) and other cables I've tried are "just cables" to my ears too. Am I missing out on something?

You mean you've been ignoring all the "tailors" spiel on the wonderful new clothes for the emperor and allowing doubt, science and commonsense to get in the way? Tut tut....:rolleyes::)

You mean you've been ignoring all the "tailors" spiel on the wonderful new clothes for the emperor and allowing doubt, science and commonsense to get in the way? Tut tut....:rolleyes::)
I know the brain is subject to wild swings of perception, but 35 pages of vehement affirmation is hard to ignore. That's truck-loads of tailors!

advertisement

Back