advertisement

What’s your oldest piece of vinyl

I have a dictation machine disc with I think is magnetic. This one I have looks like a blank.
Quite thick, and an odd milky green colour. I have put it somewhere ’safe,’ therefore have no idea where it is. It is in a branded heavy card sleeve.

Though familiar with some Emidicta parts I have never seen a disc though I would have expected the oxide at least to be brown. Being a magnetic recording system it would be impossible to tell by eye whether it was blank or recorded. Sound quality not being too critical I believe erasing was effected with a magnet.

Last edited:
I have a complete teach yourself Morse Code tutorial set on 78s Plus a couple of Microgroove 78 Audiophile records on red vinyl from the 1950s

Though familiar with some Emidicta parts I have never seen a disc though I would have expected the oxide at least to be brown. Being a magnetic recording system it would be impossible to tell by eye whether it was blank or recorded. Sound quality not being too critical I believe erasing was effected with a magnet.

I think it is light brown maybe? Still have no idea where it is? Somewhere safe. I only think it is blank based on that there is nothing written on the labels as I recall. And the company sleeve is not marked. I think. Cannot be bothered on a hot day to sift through boxes of records.
If I have a magic brainwave moment and find it, I will put up details.

I have a Capitol "Battle of the Bands" 10inch 33 rpm microgroove record from either 1950 or 53 (no date anywhere that I can see).

Recent oxfam buy,
5-E268333-C5-F8-4160-81-AA-40831-C71-EB4-D.jpg
pressed 1957

I have a copy of Sgt Pepper given to me by a friend who was emigrating. It's an original copy and is marked 'Fourth proof' Sadly though, the sleve is not is a good condition having both survived a fire in early life and a later spell in an uninsulated loft (neither during the time I've had it).

advertisement

Back