advertisement

Interference from plug in Wi Fi Extender

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
As I was getting a weak wi fi signal in our back room where I do most of my work, photography and on line browsing. I contacted Virgin and they provided a plug in wi-fi extender ( with Virgin Media). This works by sending a signal from the router via the mains cable. The back room is otherwise a bit of a wi fi dead zone. The extender has massively improved signal and speed and means the Apple TV box doesn't drop out or buffer.

However, there is now audible interference on the hi fi which is in the same room. I know it seems nuts to add any signal to the mains. I do switch it off when just listening to vinyl hi fi but often use it to pay music when working, esp. on a streamer.

Any advice on a fix or on alternatives? Are there any mains conditioners that filter this type of interference out?

You need Mesh WiFi rather than the old mains kit. BT Wholehome type kit. Virgin do it now surprised they didn’t supply it. Think they will swap them for free for you, check the page below.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new

Our old WiFi Boosters can help you tackle WiFi blackspots. They use your home’s electrical wiring to boost the WiFi signal in the room where you’ve plugged it in.

Our new Intelligent WiFi Pods connect to the Hub wirelessly, via the WiFi connection. They offer faster and more reliable coverage. They use cloud technology to learn how you use WiFi (where you use it, what devices you connect and the time of day you use them), and constantly update themselves to create the best conditions for your household.​

I had the same problem, specifically via my turntable/phono stage & out through the speakers - a bit like a motorboat noise. In the end I dumped the the powerlines and had an ethernet cable installed from my router at the front of the house to where I needed the signal at the back of the house. The cable was run around the outside of the house for tidiness. Noise gone.

The best option is a wired connection but it isn't always possible. There are other types of WiFi extenders which simply relay the wifi signal from the router. I use a Netgear one, basically anything that isn't "power line" should work if the distances aren't too great or you have thick stone walls in the way.

There are "mesh" systems which give more comprehensive coverage and can be useful in getting full coverage in larger houses.

As I was getting a weak wi fi signal in our back room where I do most of my work, photography and on line browsing. I contacted Virgin and they provided a plug in wi-fi extender ( with Virgin Media). This works by sending a signal from the router via the mains cable. The back room is otherwise a bit of a wi fi dead zone. The extender has massively improved signal and speed and means the Apple TV box doesn't drop out or buffer.

However, there is now audible interference on the hi fi which is in the same room. I know it seems nuts to add any signal to the mains. I do switch it off when just listening to vinyl hi fi but often use it to pay music when working, esp. on a streamer.

Any advice on a fix or on alternatives? Are there any mains conditioners that filter this type of interference out?

Avoid power line extenders like the plague if you have even the slightest interference - it only gets worse and more inpredictable. Mesh extenders are far better and more mature now and the best option - worth the price

advertisement

Back