advertisement

Record Store Day - Drop 2

Nothing in this batch is really insisting on itself at this point. There’s so much amazing stuff happening all the time at present from new leftfield Bandcamp obscurities through to Tone Poets etc that it’s got to be pretty special to grab my attention. I suspect I’ll sit this one out (I had the 2x Dan and Nubya Garcia 12” from the first drop).

I'll be looking out for:
IWDG - In A Lonely place
Love - Everybody’s Gotta Live
Mike Taylor - Preparation
Miles Davis - Champions (Jack Johnson)
Steve Reid - Spirit Walk

I'd like to hear the Charlie Parker box set but I suspect the audio fidelity of the previously unreleased recordings probably isn't going to merit RSD vinyl prices.

The Mike Taylor is a maybe...

I've always wanted a decent copy f Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow but at £30 its a little steep.
Possibly the TD - The Keep OST if I spot it.
Durutti Column perhaps

I've always wanted a decent copy f Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow but at £30 its a little steep.

I’d have thought you could find a very nice UK original for way less than that! I’ve only had a couple pass through the shop in recent years, but a real nice one is a tenner or so in my mind. The negative with it is it has a hard card inner so finding mint ones gets harder every year.

So I picked up the Tangerine Dream Keep OST in clear vinyl 2lp......except its a single black vinyl album.....RSD is a laugh a minute.

Wandered to my local mid-morning. No queues. Just two things on my list, John Martyn & Bobbie Gentry, picked up no trouble and back home. The sound on the Gentry LP is simply astonishing - if you like closely-mic'd female jazz vocals then buy it. Genuine demo quality stuff. The version of 'Hushabye Mountain' had me welling up....

I got Mogwai's Zero Zero Zero from Spillers in Cardiff last week, and the only one shouting at me is IWDG...

Hopefully I got a copy of the John Martyn, it let me check out and pay but I managed to do that last RSD only for them to email me and say they didn't actually have one to sell me so cancelled the order.

Got the Miles and the Bobbie Gentry from Drift. They have the John Martyn as well by the look of things.

Roland Kirk and The Rolling Stones leftovers grabbed online at 6pm from my local as I couldnt visit today

Picked up the Olias and the John Martyn. No queues in Chichester by the time I got there. Treated myself to the Rory Gallagher too, but that might have been an indulgence. Settling into the chair now so may report back.

I wandered down into town after lunch and picked up the last copy of John Martyn which was on my list.

I've been saving a $100 voucher from our local (NZ) independent record shop since Christmas. 15% off storewide yesterday, so I picked up the new Mogwai album, The Church with One Bell (half speed master) and the Gilles Peterson MV4 compilation. I now have Sunday afternoon to myself, just cleaning them to get the static and any mould release gunk off, then lighting the fire before noodling along on the fretless to John Martyn. Perfect day!

advertisement

Back