advertisement

Replacing DNM Reson spk cable with.. ??

I'm using DNM cable for years and always liked the "sound" of it more then all other speaker cables I have tried in that time, no matter what speaker or amplifier I have used.

Quite sure.

The transmission of audio signals is a pretty trivial matter without needs for 'laboratory made' anything.

Very thin cable, single stand or multicore will compromise damping factor once you exceeded a few meters and also subtly alter frequency response due to non-linear power transmission into the 'speaker load (unless the 'speaker has a flatline impedance which is very rare). In effect, expensive, imprecise tone controls at best.

Goes nicely under carpets.

Sorry I'm not THAT english speaker. I like the joke about carpets, but, seriously. How about the full theory about magnetic fields, eddy currents and etc? The whole explanation is meaningless, or it doesn't make difference?

From your explanation, I unterstand that the cable is good when the cable/amplifier has an specific problem.

One member of this forum made a study, but I cannot post it here...

+1 for the suggestion from @Sue Pertwee-Tyr

A few years ago I had DNM connected to a PrimaLuna valve amp. Replaced with NVA LS5, which resulted in a richer, full-bodied sound but still preserved the clarity and timing associated with DNM.

On reflection, DNM can sound a bit anaemic - fast and clear as a bell to be sure, but not the last word in texture and tone.

Sorry, but if cables should not change the signal, ain't this two examples you cited a case of signal adulteration? Perhaps unless one of them

I once had some DNM cables along with DNM pre/power amps. Worked well, but then you’d expect that. These days, it’s difficult to look any further than the excellent no-nonsense 4mm.sq. and 6mm.sq. cables from Mark Grant Audio.

/\ Spot on. An ex mate got some years ago and it certainly made things sound different... I measured the loop resistance of the cable and it was about 1.5 Ohms!!:eek: instant damping factor of 5.3 and 16% of the power being wasted in heating the cable!

To point out the obvious for only the 867th time there is nothing special about "speaker cable"... it's just wire and all that is required is that it is thick and that the minimum length is used, both factors to reduce resistance. Beyond that it could be thick twin and earth, wire for car electrics etc etc. It makes no difference that it says "speaker cable" on the packaging. You could even use nice thick cable intended for low voltage lighting uses:D:rolleyes:
Sometimes it’s best to just walk away Jez!

Hello @Cícero Shmidt : The bass is tighter, the midrange and HF are cleaner but not harsh or dry to my ears. Other cables seem to be warmer but to warm/mudding everything and I'm not a guy who likes steril speakers and components, quite the opposite.

Thanks Shaterhand. By your description, looks like kind of a neutral cable. I'm looking for this. It will be nice to understand if DNM is neutral because it construction, or in spite of it.

The DNM IC cable is in it's 3° version. Maybe it has changed a bit.

Someone recomend some other neutral (or flat) cable? Please, something afordable, nothing pretentioning to be "high end"

I used DNM cable, then musical fidelity lifeline for years, then several others. I now have Van den hul Clearwater speaker cable as part of an all van den hul wiring loom. Its flat-ish and sounds very neutral but dynamic to me. It made a small but positive difference to my system. Worth a try.

I used DNM cable, then musical fidelity lifeline for years, then several others. I now have Van den hul Clearwater speaker cable as part of an all van den hul wiring loom. Its flat-ish and sounds very neutral but dynamic to me. It made a small but positive difference to my system. Worth a try.

Thanks, Darren. How about an interconect cable?

I have compared a white VdH bi-wire(don't know the exact name of the cable) with the DNM predecessor version of the current one (yet with the orange, white, blue and red colors) and it was sounding totally bad to my ears, HF rolled off and warm, bass fat, warm and imprecise.

DNM Reson is one of those cables actually engineered to be "different"
The resistance is significant, but also important is the large spacing, that makes a high inductance that is enough to roll off at 20 kHz noticeably
@Jim Audiomisc measured this cable http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/Cables3/TakeTheLead.html

I partially understand his article. But the conclusion would be that the cable delivers what it promises? It looks more like he offers an exchange...

help me understand

advertisement

Back