advertisement

There's a gap..... at the top of my rack..... analogue is done... for now

Is a Marantz CD94 still a reasonable price? Lovely looking CD player.
We used to rent a villa near Mont Ventoux in France. It was seemingly rarely occupied, I think the owner only had a few weeks per year rental out of it. The living room well rather grandly furnished, as if it was once used. We were told that the owner was wealthy enough to never have to consider selling it. In the corner of the living room is a floor to ceiling cupboard, behind a door.
We had a nosey look the last time we were there. In it was a perfect Marantz CD94. Rather fitting in such a place.

Is a Marantz CD94 still a reasonable price? Lovely looking CD player.
We used to rent a villa near Mont Ventoux in France. It was seemingly rarely occupied, I think the owner only had a few weeks per year rental out of it. The living room well rather grandly furnished, as if it was once used. We were told that the owner was wealthy enough to never have to consider selling it. In the corner of the living room is a floor to ceiling cupboard, behind a door.
We had a nosey look the last time we were there. In it was a perfect Marantz CD94. Rather fitting in such a place.
Yes.... Another good looker. I saw a nice cd17 for not very much, but was a bit 'new' in terms of its styling.

20171211_224007_PMCTLE.jpeg

Digital with output triodes. Top loading too.

I thought it would be nice to get that Kenwood 9010 back on the top shelf, so did a bit of research, quickly mind, and saw this thread diyAudio - Kenwood DP-X9010 Transport issues were someone just replaces the whole assembly with a Sony one. Put Sony DP8020 into ebay search and came up with this sony dp8020 | eBay, unfortunately the ads are in German, so someone with more experience than me replacing these things might be able to help.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bang and Olufsen CD-X (if in good condition) - top loader, no remote, sleek retro design, uses TDA1540 chip like the MCD, appropriately ancient, sounds very un-digital.

Ditto on the orig. Rega Planet. I use both in my systems.

Bang and Olufsen CD-X (if in good condition) - top loader, no remote, sleek retro design, uses TDA1540 chip like the MCD, appropriately ancient, sounds very un-digital.

Ditto on the orig. Rega Planet. I use both in my systems.
Nice Ray. The cdx is lovely. I just don't get the Rega aesthetic somehow.

I'm not a naim fan..... But this is deffo the target era. Thanks Tim.

I have a CDI that I bought new in 1992 or there abouts. I don't use it much, but when I wheel it out it still rocks! Not the most refined thing but great for just listening to music on, especially rock and blues. Classic TDA 1541 sound!

Hehehe.... no. I'm all digital now.

I'm not suggesting you actually use it? You don't need the shelf or what will sit on it. Might as well be something cool and the ReVox is about as cool as you're going to get. A real talking piece. Guarantee that everyone who sees it would comment on it.

If you get a vintage CD player, most people are just going to think it's a tatty old CD player. Only audiophiles might realize the history of it. It'll just look like old junk to most. Like having a VHS video recorder in your livingroom. Which my wife's parents do have! I don't think it's a cool piece of retro, I think they're old and decades behind the times.

Could you use the top shelf for a symbolic sculpture consisting of an LP12 with a big axe embedded in it?

Less flippantly it's curious to see you going in this direction in the very week when I've been contemplating pimping my P3. (This having found that in the new room - new as of last autumn - vinyl sounds far better than hitherto, indeed not bad at all, even with an Elys and non-24V motor.)

advertisement

Back