advertisement

Vintage Linn MCs

Charlie_1

pfm Member
Finally concluded that whilst the Adikt works really well on the Lingo/Ekos deck, it's just not happening with the Valhalla/Ittok deck for some reason. Doesn't seem to matter if I partner with 42.5/110/Kans or 12/160/Briks - it's a bit sluggish and missing some rhythm & timing that is in there waiting.

I already know the K9 and VM95E work really well on this deck but I'm considering another vintage Linn MC instead. I could just get another Goldring rebuilt Troika but what about older Linn MCs (Asak / Asaka / Karma)? Seem to recall at least one person here saying they preferred one of these other Linn carts to the Troika.

The deck will be partnered with 42.5/110/Kan 1s

I had a troika and an asaka on my LP-12 prior to lingo/circus upgrade. I preferred the Troika.

I have both cartridges around somewhere. I should probably harvest them for some cash...

Troika>Karma>Asaka. I swap rebuilt Troika, Klyde and Asaka and they’re all good.

You may have to drill a third hole if you have an older Ittok.

You may have to drill a third hole if you have an older Ittok.
Good shout. It's an LV3 so hopefully not. I'll check when back home.

Can you describe the difference between your Troika and Asaka? Were they all rebuilt by the same company?

Buy an ASAKA, get Goldring to rebuild. Best cart I’ve ever owned, including a Troika and OC9MLll. The ASAKA is often overlooked.

Oh, just placed a wanted add for a Karma. Was reading up on older posts. But now you've got me wondering. Since this deck should boogie with 42.5/110/Kans I think I would try to change it to Asaka :)

Trak -> Asak -> Karma for more than 30 years, once rebuilt by Linn back in the early 2000's -> Arkiv rebuilt by Goldring about two years ago. Once had two Troika bodies and sold them due to financial reasons but would have loved to have at least one rebuilt and installed on my Ekos 2.

I wonder if the same motor/cantilever/stylus is installed by Goldring into all Linn MC rebuilds.

I wonder if the same motor/cantilever/stylus is installed by Goldring into all Linn MC rebuilds.
Refurb was as follows:
  • Replace the cantilever (aluminum tube) and diamond with a new Ogura fine line
  • Rewind the coil/armature with new copper wire
  • Replace the tie-wire assembly/suspension with new
  • Clean & run full operating tests

Stay away from the Trak and Asak (the plastic bodied cartridges). But the Asaka and Troika were fabulous. Having said that, I never did hear a Karma that was as good as either of these(?)

Go figure(???)

Good shout. It's an LV3 so hopefully not. I'll check when back home.

Can you describe the difference between your Troika and Asaka? Were they all rebuilt by the same company?
I’ve never directly compared newly rebuilt to newly rebuilt. The newer one always sounds better.

I had an Asaka, bought when they first came out. I bought it over the Karma because the additional cost of the Karma didn't really justify the miniscule improvement in performance in my view. They both sounded about the same to me though a record was eventually found that demonstrated the Karma's slightly better bass linearity.

The Troika was in a different league entirely when it appeared a little later, total game changer.

A few things have moved on over the intervening period, most notably the laminated arm board, which made a huge difference to my Asaka.

The Asaka was sold for PX over 20 years ago now. Never even thought about rebuilding it. I was using rebuilt Troikas until I moved on from the Lp12. Have to say I did not like the one Goldring did for me anywhere as much as the ones Esco did so never went there again.

ESCO do a good job BUT they don’t replace the cantilever, they ‘peg’ one onto the old one. Also the Paratrace stylus wears very quickly.

Goldring rebuild is basically a new cart built as close as possible to the original.

Are you all using Linn MCs on Linn arms? How do they fare on unipivots?

I must say I’ve been with Dynavector for several years and since improving my LP12 to a Karousel I’ve not felt the need to go above a DV 20x2L .

advertisement

Back