advertisement

Hermes - GRRRRRRH!!

iansr

pfm Member
So I’ve just received a Jiffy Bag via Hermes that was open at one end when I received it The bag was empty and there is no indication who the sender was. The tracking info simply tells me it has been delivered, nothing else. So I need Hermes to tell me who the sender is. The problem is that it is impossible to speak to them. There is an automated phone line and a Google assistant, both of which are useless if you have anything out of the ordinary. There is NO option to speak to a human. Nor is there an email address! I’ve found some other contact info on the internet but it is all out of date. Unbelievable

Precisely the same problem I started a thread on about a year or so ago. I simply won't use hermes any more even though they are very cheap. They VERY DELIBERATELY make it literally impossible to speak to a human being or to send an email to them which will be dealt with by a real person. I even used that "email a CEO" site to get the big cheese's email and tried that.... no reply.

The actual delivery service is not really any worse than other companies IME... it's the simple fact that, as above, if something does go wrong it's impossible to complain/have it dealt with.

I had a delivery yesterday from Hermes, but no sign of it. :( Goodness knows where it went, but it wasn't here. Thank for the link.

Precisely the same problem I started a thread on about a year or so ago. I simply won't use hermes any more even though they are very cheap. They VERY DELIBERATELY make it literally impossible to speak to a human being or to send an email to them which will be dealt with by a real person. I even used that "email a CEO" site to get the big cheese's email and tried that.... no reply.

The actual delivery service is not really any worse than other companies IME... it's the simple fact that, as above, if something does go wrong it's impossible to complain/have it dealt with.
Totally agree

So I’ve just received a Jiffy Bag via Hermes that was open at one end when I received it The bag was empty and there is no indication who the sender was. The tracking info simply tells me it has been delivered, nothing else. So I need Hermes to tell me who the sender is. The problem is that it is impossible to speak to them. There is an automated phone line and a Google assistant, both of which are useless if you have anything out of the ordinary. There is NO option to speak to a human. Nor is there an email address! I’ve found some other contact info on the internet but it is all out of date. Unbelievable

Do you have no idea what it is? did you not buy something and are waiting for it?!

I’ve had two parcels go missing with Hermes :(

Good luck in your investigations!

I used it once and it worked perfectly. It was probably a fishing rod that RM thought far too long for one of its lorries.

A year or two back Hermes were listed as the worst courier company in the UK, in a poll of customers. From time to time I’ve bought clothing from Charles Tyrwhitt from their online store. They use Hermes, and after stuff going missing, or being left five doors away on the mat of a neighbour’s house, I told a Charles Tyrwhitt rep that I would never buy from them again unless they used a different service for my orders, so now anything I buy from them comes via Royal Mail.
Our local Hermes service has improved, although I still get that sinking feeling when I discover stuff I’ve ordered is coming via their service.

Mick

We/re lucky here, we know our local delivery lady (she's a friend of our next door neighbours), and we can ring her up if we have problems.

Refused delivery from Hermes a few weeks back, something ordered from M & S and they expected me to stay in all day so that they can deliver when it suits them. Will no longer allow DPD to deliver because they dropped a valve amp (a) they did not tell me (b) they reneged on insurance despite paying double the value of insurance than the true cost of repair, they are beyond dodgy and insurance is worthless.

Please do not Yodel either.

Some general advice
So with hermes shipping cost typically £6 or less and expect them to deliver at your convenience. Hilarious.
Insurance worthless ? well if you don’t read all the t&c’s and implement to the letter ie valve amp = glass, glass items are either prohibited or not covered by insurance.
My advice and I’ve been in the game 30 years is to use only UPS for high value goods and you should get a conscientious driver. Cheap non breakable items use hermes.All the rest well it’s pot luck get a good honest conscientious driver and you should be ok if it’s handled correctly at the hub.
In these COVID times the old POD procedure no longer apply and it’s not just companies at fault thanks to social media customers know the systems and know how the claims system works and some take full advantage of it.
P.s Palace fan for 40 years !

Some general advice
So with hermes shipping cost typically £6 or less and expect them to deliver at your convenience. Hilarious.
Insurance worthless ? well if you don’t read all the t&c’s and implement to the letter ie valve amp = glass, glass items are either prohibited or not covered by insurance.
My advice and I’ve been in the game 30 years is to use only UPS for high value goods and you should get a conscientious driver. Cheap non breakable items use hermes.All the rest well it’s pot luck get a good honest conscientious driver and you should be ok if it’s handled correctly at the hub.
In these COVID times the old POD procedure no longer apply and it’s not just companies at fault thanks to social media customers know the systems and know how the claims system works and some take full advantage of it.

Just a couple of points (a) I did not place an order with Hermes and secondly I did not expect Hermes to deliver at my convenience simply to update delivery times as they had promised--I could have gone out during the day with some simple courtesy. M & S chose them not me so I have closed the account. Your opening sentence is an assumption and not very bright! and carry's on in the same light in your second sentence

Dpd had collected the amplifier which included insurance to the repair value successfully. They collected the amplifier and dropped it on return delivery, if you know as much as you think you do you would know that Dpd have been involved in numerous cases where they make offers to their benefit lower than the insured value, so not genuine insurance. Terms and conditions fully read. No valves were broken and your limited support for Palace is of hilarious interest.

Some general advice
God help you next season.

That's strange, I can get a Hermes guy on the phone here in Germany.
I have an automated prcedure on the phone, saying a few times 'yes' or 'no' until it's clear their prepared answers don't fit..and then after about 5-10 minutes including another waiting-cue , I got a competent person on the phone..

Only recently I had an expensive amp I had already payed for, sent to an entirely different city by the seller bc he mixed the places of 2 numbers in my postcode.
Was 200 km from me..they found out where it was, informed them there while I was on the phone and told me the package would be re-routed my way..which it really was.

I actually did not believe it was really happening when I was on the phone, having their reputation in mind..

IMHO UPS have slightly lost the plot with their choices of drop off points in my locality since none of them have easy parking. Bit of a major fail that if you're shipping something quite big and heavy. DPD use Sainsbury's - nuff said!

I'm not even going to relay my experiences with Hermes as it's triggering, but as mentioned above emailing the CEO will likely get you a response.

Martijn will never respond personally and his team are clearly rushed judging by the quality of proof reading, but eventually you'll get a response.

I now actively avoid any company that uses them, which is a shame but every interaction with Hermes has been dreadful. They're very cheap, and their drivers aren't employees and have high workloads, which results in appalling service.

The inability to contact them is the most frustrating element, all interactions are through robot AI. There's only a very few edge cases where you can get through their phone lines to a real person.

advertisement

Back