advertisement

Replacing DNM Reson spk cable with.. ??

LostAtSea

"33 222 1 222"
Just a quickie, there may not be much love for DNM Reson here but I've had good results for the last 10 years with it 'taming' a pair of B&W 601's (Warning!! Modest System Alert!) on both vinyl and digital sources.
Am currenlty using WAV on Synology NAS/Sonos/V-DACII, WAD KEL84 & 601's and wondering what I migh be missing, so...

If anyone has used DNM Reson and replaced it with something 'better' I'd very much appreciate a one-liner on your choice and why.

Thanks in advance!

Rgds, Steve

As a former DNM user (wih their pre/power combo) I'd give Kimber 4TC (or 4 or 8VS, 8TC is a bit much perhaps) a go. Very nice cable.

DNM Reson is a different cable from DNM(UK)
DNM(UK)'s New Stereo Solid Core Speakercable (1mm2) sounds IMO better than the older type from DNM Reson.
That's for LoudspeakerCable as well as Interconnects ;-)

Many years ago I tried some DNM Reson with my NVA AP50. Didn't like it. Signals very helpfully sent me some NVA LS2 to try, which I much preferred. Might be worth checking out one of the NVA flavours currently available in your budget.

Otherwise, TQ Blue or Nordost White Lightning would work for me at the sensible-cost end of things.

Just about anything is better than DNM, which is just very thin high resistance cheap wire in nice packaging.
Performance is worse than the thinest bell wire you can buy from a hardware store, though valve amps will tend to lessen the audible changes introduced by DNM.
It is however rainproof and makes a decent washing line.

Just get some 79 strand which cannot be bettered.
If you want to spend more then let the sky be the limit but best always avoid high capacitance types and anything with less than 2mmsq conductors.

I admit to being a new contributor to this or other forums, but as a sometime reader I find them useful for information and opinion . I do wonder why some contributors love to rubbish products, and of course you think there must be a hidden agenda, or is it just ignorance? DNM cable does not have fancy packaging, unless you call a green plastic bag fancy.I refer of course to Robert's reference to DNM cable. The fact that LostatSea has used it for 10 years suggests that it is not rubbish.

Hi All, Thanks for the opinions given; I'll admit to some being more useful than others :)

I know that "Cables.." have been done to death here, hence my enquiry being quite specific. I now have a few names to follow up on and that is very useful. My reason for preferring solid core + biwire (the DNM replaced Audioquest Type 4) appears to be based on what I percieve as 'splashy' treble with the multiostrand cables I tried (includes QED 79 strand), with a 'smearing' and emphasis on HF that seemed detached from the sound of the instrument in question. DNM Reson in my system sounds a little rolled off at higher frequencies however you could also call it warm or fulsome; either way it still deals with that 'last' octave from 10 to 20 khz and nothing seems missing, just a cohesion that (I admit) possibly masks some of the 601's weaknesses.

It's also curious to see electrical terms bandied around with vagure inferences to sound quality, without even a presentation of logic to support these conclusions. FWIW I am interested in subjective experiences when changing speaker cable. If I want to learn more about volts and dielectric behaviour I'll read some Feynman.

Jaz, what's the model of the Kimber cable you are selling?

Rgds, Steve

PS In no way is this post meant to be inflammatory or troll-ish; I think this is one of the most healthy forums in existence and I visit most days. I guess that,on reflection, asking a question on a forum is like standing up in a pub and asking everyone there what they think....

Got to say , way back in the mid nineties or so I had a quick listen to a set up at a dealers. All inter connects , mains leads and speaker cable ( biwired) were by DNM.
Micromega Stage 3 , Crimson pre and mono power amps. Into Proac Tablette's ( 3s or super ?) on big heavy target stands. I was gobsmacked. Loved it. Could I have afforded it ( in my dreams) I would have been away with the lot. They were playing a Jeff Beck CD. Guitar Shack.......... Blimey !
One of those rare but very memorable events.

This was comparing to a very budget system indeed that I owned at that time though.Thats what I was used to.

Superb though non the less - at that time.

I really like the DNM I/Cs, especially with Eichmann plugs. Been a while since I heard the speaker cable, but also remember being very impressed with it. Certainly an improvement on NACA5...

DNM speaker cable didn't work for me at all on the end of an Ion Obelisk 3X, too clean, etched and lacking in body.

I replaced it with Chord Odyssey 2, got my bass back, and was very happy.

Just about anything is better than DNM, which is just very thin high resistance cheap wire in nice packaging.
Performance is worse than the thinest bell wire you can buy from a hardware store, though valve amps will tend to lessen the audible changes introduced by DNM.
It is however rainproof and makes a decent washing line.

Just get some 79 strand which cannot be bettered.
If you want to spend more then let the sky be the limit but best always avoid high capacitance types and anything with less than 2mmsq conductors.

Are you sure? It's hard for me to understand that a laboratory made cable with 30 years of improved technology will put the result just behind all others. It doesn't do anything good?

Are you sure? It's hard for me to understand that a laboratory made cable with 30 years of improved technology will put the result just behind all others.

Quite sure.

The transmission of audio signals is a pretty trivial matter without needs for 'laboratory made' anything.

Very thin cable, single stand or multicore will compromise damping factor once you exceeded a few meters and also subtly alter frequency response due to non-linear power transmission into the 'speaker load (unless the 'speaker has a flatline impedance which is very rare). In effect, expensive, imprecise tone controls at best.

It doesn't do anything good?

Goes nicely under carpets.

/\ Spot on. An ex mate got some years ago and it certainly made things sound different... I measured the loop resistance of the cable and it was about 1.5 Ohms!!:eek: instant damping factor of 5.3 and 16% of the power being wasted in heating the cable!

To point out the obvious for only the 867th time there is nothing special about "speaker cable"... it's just wire and all that is required is that it is thick and that the minimum length is used, both factors to reduce resistance. Beyond that it could be thick twin and earth, wire for car electrics etc etc. It makes no difference that it says "speaker cable" on the packaging. You could even use nice thick cable intended for low voltage lighting uses:D:rolleyes:

+1 for the suggestion from @Sue Pertwee-Tyr

A few years ago I had DNM connected to a PrimaLuna valve amp. Replaced with NVA LS5, which resulted in a richer, full-bodied sound but still preserved the clarity and timing associated with DNM.

On reflection, DNM can sound a bit anaemic - fast and clear as a bell to be sure, but not the last word in texture and tone.

advertisement

Back