advertisement

Roon is now paid Adware

It's the lifetime sub transferable? If so I would interested, if it helps solve your problem.

It's the lifetime sub transferable? If so I would interested, if it helps solve your problem.

Technically, it's not. Officially. But I've known a couple of people that have 'sold' theirs , all it takes is popping a new email addy into the Roon account and away you go.

Not even that. It's only adware if it injects ads into other running software.

O8sWwRh.png

Knowing how Roon operate do not be surprised if you start seeing adverts for channel partners in your listening experience.

With Tidal hooking up with Bitcoin and Cash App and Seller (whatever that is) there are all sorts of imminent possibilities forsake people to make more money out of streaming.

O8sWwRh.png

Knowing how Roon operate do not be surprised if you start seeing adverts for channel partners in your listening experience.

That's a uselessly broad definition, such that it would include all browsers. I was working from connotations. In particular, the only connotation deserving of a scandalous-sounding thread title like "X is adware" is that of malicious adware, which is arguably the oldest popular connotation of the term. The connotation of "voluntarily installed, ad-supported software", which typically implies displaying ads from an ad network for other projects or partners, might at best deserve a one-word reply of "ok". In this case, they're promoting their own product, which IMO isn't even deserving of mention, even if you paid for a subscription. It's the most benign "adware" I've ever heard of.

Can anybody explain what's all the fuss about with Roon in the UK?

I've read the many threads about it and I may be daft but I still don't see the point of it...

Thanks.

I've read the many threads about it and I may be daft but I still don't see the point of it...

Thanks.
My reply to that would be the reply I received when I asked the same question of a Roon devotee a couple of years ago - try it yourself.
I use a Linn KDS, which I think sounds wonderful, but I’ve always been less than impressed with the control software. With Roon I feel I have a software setup that equals the quality of the hardware. Roon really comes into its own with Qobuz or Tidal, so if you only have locally ripped files it’s a different story, although there are many Roon users who only use local content.
I think the trial is for fourteen days, and if that’s not enough to convince you one way or another, you can always pay by the month until you’ve made your mind up.

Mick

My reply to that would be the reply I received when I asked the same question of a Roon devotee a couple of years ago - try it yourself.
I use a Linn KDS, which I think sounds wonderful, but I’ve always been less than impressed with the control software. With Roon I feel I have a software setup that equals the quality of the hardware. Roon really comes into its own with Qobuz or Tidal, so if you only have locally ripped files it’s a different story, although there are many Roon users who only use local content.
I think the trial is for fourteen days, and if that’s not enough to convince you one way or another, you can always pay by the month until you’ve made your mind up.

Mick

Thanks Mick. Alright then, I don't need it. I use a computer for my music, with pertaining apps.

Thanks.
Roon is an excellent music player and manager, with good DSP, and unlike most music players it integrates your own rips with your Qobuz or Tidal favourites seamlessly so you have one library. It retrieves lots of useful and interesting information about artists and albums and is good at finding or suggesting links between your music so it is good for discovery. It is way better than anything else I’ve tried at handling classical compositions. You can run loads of Roon endpoints around your house, on fancy expensive HiFi or modest things like a Sonos. There is a good remote app which works on an iPad or iPhone or other smart things. It isn’t perfect, but it’s pointing the right way. It costs 24p a day, which for me is ridiculously good value. If you haven’t got Qobuz or Tidal you mightn’t be as enthusiastic, but there’s a two week free trial so give it a punt. And try Qobuz or Tidal at the same time.

Sums it up well. I pay monthly - about a CD a month in cost. Well worth it. Rather like an evening with Youtube - you can get wonderfully 'lost' travelling around the links or finding the many different versions of a particular composition. And it keeps a history of where you have been too.

advertisement

Back