advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y1t6hdH.jpg

Was having a mess around today, spurred on by my pre-amp playing up, which I will investigate later.
The result of which was me pressing my old DIY headphone amp/DAC into action as a pre, with its impedance matching switch making it possible with no changes.
It actually sounds a darn sight better than I thought it would, a rather small step down in quality, or maybe the main pre has been fading?

A nice messy photo here, dust, spaghetti cables, naff furniture and no rug :eek:

For anyone wondering, the power amp is powered by the left biscuit box and the right one was for the removed pre. The head/pre/DAC only has one of its lights on because I built it to have the amp and the DAC powered separately and switchable either way or both. As the stand in is very good I'll give it a proper phono out at the back once I've ordered up a few bits.

Minimal setup in a temporary house:

IMG-0897.jpg

B&O Beovox RL60.2 speakers driven by a tiny SMSL SA-50 with a Chromecast Audio as the only source. I've got a lot of goodies to take out of storage now that we're in the states but this will do for now.

BTW there is far too much beige in this room. I can't do anything about the floor but I am going to paint the walls white ASAP even if we're only here a few months!

IMG-0897.jpg

B&O Beovox RL60.2 speakers driven by a tiny SMSL SA-50 with a Chromecast Audio as the only source. I've got a lot of goodies to take out of storage now that we're in the states but this will do for now.

BTW there is far too much beige in this room. I can't do anything about the floor but I am going to paint the walls white ASAP even if we're only here a few months!

TV looks a little small ;)

Y1t6hdH.jpg

Was having a mess around today, spurred on by my pre-amp playing up, which I will investigate later.
The result of which was me pressing my old DIY headphone amp/DAC into action as a pre, with its impedance matching switch making it possible with no changes.
It actually sounds a darn sight better than I thought it would, a rather small step down in quality, or maybe the main pre has been fading?

A nice messy photo here, dust, spaghetti cables, naff furniture and no rug :eek:

For anyone wondering, the power amp is powered by the left biscuit box and the right one was for the removed pre. The head/pre/DAC only has one of its lights on because I built it to have the amp and the DAC powered separately and switchable either way or both. As the stand in is very good I'll give it a proper phono out at the back once I've ordered up a few bits.

The biscuits tin monos are genius.

IMG-0897.jpg

Your tv screen doesn’t look "minimal" ! :D

Fancied another big 'battleship' amp, tempted by the Sony TA-F770ES/870ES but decided on a Denon PMA-2000IVR. In the past I've had the PMA-2000AE and newer PMA-2500NE which I really liked, and of course, this one is Champagne to match my Sony DVP-S9000ES! It's just a little bigger than the svelte Bryston B60R!
Also picked up a Castle/ATC Classic subwoofer, something a bit smaller than the REL Stadium II!

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Fancied another big 'battleship' amp, tempted by the Sony TA-F770ES/870ES but decided on a Denon PMA-2000IVR. In the past I've had the PMA-2000AE and newer PMA-2500NE which I really liked, and of course, this one is Champagne to match my Sony DVP-S9000ES! It's just a little bigger than the svelte Bryston B60R!
Also picked up a Castle/ATC Classic subwoofer, something a bit smaller than the REL Stadium II!

System

Most of these big Denon's (2000 series) are only available from Japan on the Bay. For some reason they were not that popular here. The smaller 1600 was more of a seller in the UK on the back of some good magazine reviews. I'd like to listen to one of the top models one day. Impressive build too.

Most of these big Denon's (2000 series) are only available from Japan on the Bay. For some reason they were not that popular here. The smaller 1600 was more of a seller in the UK on the back of some good magazine reviews. I'd like to listen to one of the top models one day. Impressive build too.

I think its a combination of the sheer size and cost when new. I think a lot of people buying amps in that ~£2k bracket are more interested in esoteric brands or traditional british brands.

I was quite pleased to find the IVR version as it has Pre Out and Main In, which not all the various PMA-2000## versions have. I also prefer the front panel styling over the curvy later ones.

PMA-2500NE

System

PMA-2000AE

System

I think its a combination of the sheer size and cost when new. I think a lot of people buying amps in that ~£2k bracket are more interested in esoteric brands or traditional british brands.

I was quite pleased to find the IVR version as it has Pre Out and Main In, which not all the various PMA-2000## versions have. I also prefer the front panel styling over the curvy later ones.

PMA-2500NE

System

PMA-2000AE

System

I would agree on looks. The older more square shape seems nicer. Did you find yours (and previous ones) in the UK or did you import?

I would agree on looks. The older more square shape seems nicer. Did you find yours (and previous ones) in the UK or did you import?

On eBay, from the UK. The PMA-2000AE was second hand off eBay UK as well I think and the PMA-2500NE was Black Friday/Ex-Demo from a dealer.

Reactions: RoA
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back