advertisement

Roon is now paid Adware

evand

Just press play
Pay your subscription to use the software and now they present adverts for their kit in-app.

To me this is completely unacceptable and is a very clear indicator that the founders have little in the way of integrity or scruples. I regret having bought a lifetime license because abandoning the product makes no difference to their bottom line. Don't have time to fix bugs buy they have time to bake in adware for a paid product. Final straw for me. I truly hope this latest development seriously harms their business. I have lost what little respect I still had for them.

Do you mean they advertise the Nucleus in the Roon app? I’ve not seen any ads myself.
Seems to happen to the users in the US. I haven’t seen it here. Hope they don’t let commercial interests influence the choice of CDs for their recommendations and playlists.

Maybe they’ve too many Nucleus piled up. New Mac M1 is a very attractive proposition for a Roon core.

Do you mean they advertise the Nucleus in the Roon app? I’ve not seen any ads myself.

Exactly that. What gall.

6dc77b52af3c65009a86fb47bb7a65a8d5d1ab1d_2_690x431.jpeg

Pay your subscription to use the software and now they present adverts for their kit in-app.

To me this is completely unacceptable and is a very clear indicator that the founders have little in the way of integrity or scruples. I regret having bought a lifetime license because abandoning the product makes no difference to their bottom line. Don't have time to fix bugs buy they have time to bake in adware for a paid product. Final straw for me. I truly hope this latest development seriously harms their business. I have lost what little respect I still had for them.

I think you and Roon should split up. You are very angry and upset with Roon, and it's been going on for a while from your posts about it. Maybe a little time apart will help you both gain clarity over how you see the relationship moving forward.

Already taken care of, uninstalled and replaced with LMS. Just sorry I ever contributed a dime.

I saw that little pop up after a recent update. Didn’t bother me and not seen it since.

Nothing to see here, move along!

Although, strictly, Roon don't allow transfer of ownership, if it's someone you know or trust or whatever, theres nothing stopping you for selling it on. Change the log email to theres, and then the jobs done.

Stick to LMS. It’s clear that you are unhappy with Roon so put your frustrations into just enjoying music. These services are nice but it’s easier just to listen.:)

There’re a lot of folk on the Roon forum getting hot and bothered about this. One user wondered if there was possibly a new Nucleus in the wings, and they’re trying to shift stock of the older model. Not seen the ad yet, but that may be because I’m in the UK and I’m pretty sure the Nucleus isn’t available directly from Roon here. It wouldn’t be an issue for me as I understand it can be dismissed and won’t reappear, but I think they’d have ruffled fewer feathers had they emailed the offer rather than flagged it up within the app as they have done.

Mick

advertisement

Back