advertisement

Master’s Degree

Wow! I would have thought that the project work was part of the learning outcomes. We wouldn't let anyone graduate with fraudulent coursework - every penalty had to be expunged.
She formally withdrew the practical submission before the final presentation (for marking) so there was, legally speaking, no fraudulent coursework submitted for examination.

However, the student did submit the research portion of the subject, and that, combined with good continuous assessment scores brought her subject mark over the threshold at which other subject marks can be used to compensate for a narrow fail mark.

I wanted to reject the entire submission but was overruled. In the end, I had two course-board meetings to attend at the same time: that one where I’d intended to argue for a fail mark, but also another course where I had two students for whom separate personal tragedies had put them in danger of failing my subject - and I wanted to make sure those circumstances were raised and taken into account before the final results were tallied. At the end of it, all three kids in question got their degrees, even if it meant a cheat (partially) getting away with cheating.

Never met anyone from Imperial who said they had a good time there, one of my mates did Physics and on the introduction lecture they were told two out of three would be canned before graduating and things went downhill from then on.
That's scant comfort. I wish someone had told me this back then, I'd have been spared 3 miserable years. 3 years that I counted our one day at a time.

Never met anyone from Imperial who said they had a good time there, one of my mates did Physics and on the introduction lecture they were told two out of three would be canned before graduating and things went downhill from then on.
I suspect this was before 1977? When I arrived in that year I was told that a few years earlier there had been a couple of suicides among physics first years owing to the pressure placed on students and the department eased off considerably. At a guess I'd say >90% of those that started in my year graduated.

if he knows the dept - see if there is any info on the website about how to contact course director/programme leader/admissions tutor etc......

these days i would say don't bother with the phone. The people in the know are likely to be working from home.

Thanks again, I’ve passed this onto him for tomorrow.

I suspect this was before 1977? When I arrived in that year I was told that a few years earlier there had been a couple of suicides among physics first years owing to the pressure placed on students and the department eased off considerably. At a guess I'd say >90% of those that started in my year graduated.

It was the late 80’s, I guess ten years of Thatcherism, where making people suffer became an art form, and the City Big Bang and the subsequent long hours culture encouraged them to return to the old ways.

It was the late 80’s, I guess ten years of Thatcherism, where making people suffer became an art form, and the City Big Bang and the subsequent long hours culture encouraged them to return to the old ways.
That’s sad. It’s no way to treat anyone.

Universities were in a pretty bad state by then. I remember researching what I wanted to do for my PhD and so few staff and any funding to run labs. I saw a few give up, take to the bottle etc

advertisement

Back