advertisement

Anyone in on windows 11

Thanks. I've got a native W10 installation on my i7 2012 Mini, so it should upgrade then. Phew.

I was stunned to find my 4.5 year old dual processor 16 core Xeon is not supported and so the chance of a 9 year old i7 being supported must surely be zero?

I know MS only make money from new machine sales but if they actually push ahead with not supporting hardware more than 4 years old regardless of performance it cannot do anything but drive substantial numbers to other platforms. If I cannot use my current software development platform for Windows 11 I will seriously review whether Windows 11 is a platform worth supporting for my software. Windows is a fairly minor platform for scientific and engineering software and so if they are going to follow Apple with their support then goodbye (perhaps). I suspect they are going to back away from this (they have removed the Windows 11 compatability tool on their website) but in some ways the damage has been done given they considered doing it. They used to be extraordinary in the way maintained backward compatability but how they have changed.

I was perfectly happy with Windows XP!!
So am I and still use it. I also like Snow Leopard for a similar reason that both have a simple and clear desktop and are nippy performers with the old hardware. Unfortunately they can't handle newer hardware.

Depending on your hardware I think it worth your while having a look at Linux Mint. You can run this to have a play without installing anything on your computer via a small USB stick. The simplified interface was designed to appeal to both Windows and macOS users. It comes with LibreOffice (equivalent to M$ Office) out-of-the-box and can always be kept up to date - your choice as you are never forced unlike M$ and Apple.

Cheers,

DV

I've been running Linux Mint in dual boot mode ever since I moved from XP to Win 10. I still hate Win 10 and will probably ditch Windows altogether when 10 is no longer supported. As a home user I have no need for Windows, and if I was starting out now I certainly wouldn't touch it.

I was stunned to find my 4.5 year old dual processor 16 core Xeon is not supported and so the chance of a 9 year old i7 being supported must surely be zero?

I know MS only make money from new machine sales but if they actually push ahead with not supporting hardware more than 4 years old regardless of performance it cannot do anything but drive substantial numbers to other platforms. If I cannot use my current software development platform for Windows 11 I will seriously review whether Windows 11 is a platform worth supporting for my software. Windows is a fairly minor platform for scientific and engineering software and so if they are going to follow Apple with their support then goodbye (perhaps). I suspect they are going to back away from this (they have removed the Windows 11 compatability tool on their website) but in some ways the damage has been done given they considered doing it. They used to be extraordinary in the way maintained backward compatability but how they have changed.
As I outlined above I already have Win 11 running from an external USB SSD on both a 2012 i7 machine and a 2015 i5. So its doable (without any tweaking) with this early release. Whether this will be removed later remains unknown and this may well be a Ratner moment for M$.

Cheers,

DV

So am I and still use it. I also like Snow Leopard for a similar reason that both have a simple and clear desktop and are nippy performers with the old hardware. Unfortunately they can't handle newer hardware.

Depending on your hardware I think it worth your while having a look at Linux Mint. You can run this to have a play without installing anything on your computer via a small USB stick. The simplified interface was designed to appeal to both Windows and macOS users. It comes with LibreOffice (equivalent to M$ Office) out-of-the-box and can always be kept up to date - your choice as you are never forced unlike M$ and Apple.

Cheers,

DV

You Linux lot never give up!:) Yer like the jahovahs witnesses trying to convert people! I like Windows and won't be using Linux. Ever:)

IMG-0075.jpg

2015 Macbook Air running activated Win 11 Enterprise from that USB SSD drive.

Fun no?

DV

You Linux lot never give up!:) Yer like the jahovahs witnesses trying to convert people! I like Windows and won't be using Linux. Ever:)
Have you ever tried Westvleteren 12 and would you drink a bottle if I gave you one? Its unlikely however as I've only got 7 of the '12' left. I have a few more '8's but its not the best. This stuff can only be bought at the abbey itself so you have to drive there to get some. If you would answer 'yes' then you should at least try a sip of a live (USB version) of Linux Mint. Like beer you can spit it out if you don't like it.

Cheers,

DV

Have you ever tried Westvleteren 12 and would you drink a bottle if I gave you one? Its unlikely however as I've only got 7 of the '12' left. I have a few more '8's but its not the best. This stuff can only be bought at the abbey itself so you have to drive there to get some. If you would answer 'yes' then you should at least try a sip of a live (USB version) of Linux Mint. Like beer you can spit it out if you don't like it.

Cheers,

DV

I'm a big fan of biere d'abbaye and familiar with that one even if I've not tried it. There are many others I have enjoyed. Just like I've enjoyed Windows XP and 7 (8 was shite!).

Quite why everyone who uses Linux is a missionary for it I'll never get... I use exclusively Windows CAD software in my daily work and most/all need emulators for Windows to work on Linux... With XP and 7 I can't remember the last time I had a BSD or had to reboot the PC... Why would I want to change? (that IS a rhetorical question!)

I'm a big fan of biere d'abbaye and familiar with that one even if I've not tried it. There are many others I have enjoyed. Just like I've enjoyed Windows XP and 7 (8 was shite!).

Quite why everyone who uses Linux is a missionary for it I'll never get... I use exclusively Windows CAD software in my daily work and most/all need emulators for Windows to work on Linux... With XP and 7 I can't remember the last time I had a BSD or had to reboot the PC... Why would I want to change? (that IS a rhetorical question!)
First you may be surprised that you can run many Windows applications natively in Linux. In fact I can run old games written for win 95/98 that won't run in the latest Windows also foobar and dBpoweramp natively i.e. no emulation so is fast. Basically it translates Windows API calls into UNIX POSIX. This means that the applications believe they are communicating with a Windows NT kernel when in fact its UNIX or LINUX. The freebie WINE that comes with Mint supports some applications out of the box whilst others such as CrossOver (paid for) supports most commercial applications.

Why? For future proof security. Win 7 will be locked out of newer hardware so somewhere down the line even if you only buy second hand computers will come a time that this OS fails to work correctly. Moving to Linux (which also means that you could if necessary move to commercial UNIX if it ever became necessary) offers future proofing. Also Internet security as it is under both professional criminal attack and from hostile governments. You don't know when you'll be hit. With Win 7 thats likely a wipe out but with Linux and backups you'll possible survive to fight another day.

Cheers,

DV

Re: thread title:

Feck me once, shame on you; feck me 39 times* and call it 11, shame on me!

* According to Wikipedia's 'List of Microsoft Windows versions', discounting Basic/Starter/Home, Professional, and/or Enterprise, 32 vs. 64 bit, etc. editions, otherwise, it will have been 95 times when 10 version 21H2 and 11 are out!

Last edited:
As I outlined above I already have Win 11 running from an external USB SSD on both a 2012 i7 machine and a 2015 i5. So its doable (without any tweaking) with this early release. Whether this will be removed later remains unknown and this may well be a Ratner moment for M$.

I last booted into Windows about 6 weeks ago but having had a quick browse of the web with a cup of tea I suspect had I downloaded the now removed software tool it would have said my hardware was fine to run Windows 11. This might be the real reason it has been removed. Apparently a significant chunk of those that have been testing and developing for Windows 11 have hardware that is on the too "old" list. So are MS going to say thanks for helping test our software for us but even though you have proof we are lying we are going to claim your hardware is unable to run Windows 11 when it is released?

The web seems to be awash with upset computer geeks making videos pointing out what is going on so why don't MS drop the inconsistent compatability fairy tale they are trying to spin and either keep quiet or admit to what they are doing in using their monopoly position to force their customers to buy new hardware they don't need so MS can get their cut.

I don't know the M$ plan but as you can see above Win 10 runs fine on old hardware. If it doesn't in the future it must have been deliberately hobbled for what ever reason. If they go the Apple route they might add something special to their own motherboards such that Win 11 will only run on a M$ machine that has whatever they put on the mobo just like the Apple M1. As I said above maybe its their Ratner moment.

Cheers,

DV

TPM2 looks like a requirement for running Android apps (especially financial ones) and/or also allowing existing publishers to distribute their software via the MS Store. Both of these features would require more key storage space than currently offered by TPM1.2

Microsoft have always tolerated a certain amount of personal piracy regarding Windows and Word, because it builds an ecosystem of users, and they eventually get the licence fees from business users anyway. In the same way, Apple never took the fairly trivial steps that would have been needed to block the “Hackintosh” hobbyists from running MacOS on stock x86 motherboards because those hacked PCs allowed users to get drawn into their ecosystem and eventually buy real Apple hardware.

Hi

I have just run the test in Settings/Updates and Security/Windows Insider to the to see if my laptop is suitable for windows 11 and it says no.

I have a Thinkpad T420 that has 8GB ram and Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz. The Laptop is from 2011, I think.

It is a fast laptop and I am very happy with it.

Looks like I will miss the pleasures of Windows 11.

There must be lots of people in a similar position.

I’ve merged the threads as it looks like this will be a recurring theme.

PS Astonishing Microsoft consider an i7 machine to be obsolete. Obviously terrible from an environmental/right to repair perspective. We should be looking at ways to extract the absolute maximum useful service life from computer hardware from every perspective. This obviously includes ethical software/OS design.

Just run WhynotWin11 and my i7 PC (2011 vintage) fails on:
  • Boot method (?)
  • CPU compatibility (even though core count & frequency are OK)
  • WWDM2 (need a new graphics card)
  • No GPT disk partition (?)
  • Secure boot not detected.
  • TPM 1.2
So looks like I'll be sticking with Windows 10 until the bitter end.

Win11 GA (General availability) won't be until later this - requirements may change between now and then

I found that my 8 year old motherboard and i7 CPU is not running secure boot but can be made to in the bios so no Win 11 probs there.

Sadly same motherboard doesn't even have TPM 1.2 let alone TPM 2.0. I did however find details of registry modifications that can be done during an ISO install (when available) that allows the TPM restriction to be bypassed. It is clear that TPM obsolescence is not a deal breaker.

Here's a link to the process, not yet tried by myself but looks sensible

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/28/youll-be-able-to-bypass-windows-11-tpm-2-0-requirement/

John

advertisement

Back