advertisement

Quiet, fast-starting NAS server?

It’s tricky to contribute having experience of only one NAS and being less IT literate than some here so I’ll just add that the Synology DS215j I have used for a handful of years now hasn’t missed a beat and seems quick, quiet and sensible on auto wake up and not needlessly spinning - which one or two smart mates talk about being a nuisance with NAS alternatives they have tried.
Yes, mine seems to be forever spinning one disc and then the other.

Yes, mine seems to be forever spinning one disc and then the other.

It could be something 'asking' it to do that.

Years ago my first QNAP did the same, I never figured it out but after a format and reinstall , it went away.

Or one of the discs may be on its last legs.

Cheap and quiet option: Synology DS120j + 2TB SSD - costs about £260 from amazon. Run Minimserver or Asset on it. You’d need some backup of course, either to external HD and/or cloud. I think you’d be amazed how quiet it can be.

I should add: About 18 months back I bought the Synology 620slim, just the NAS, and gradually moved from conventional HDDs (I had 4) to SSD’s as funding permitted. It’s great. Moving from HDD to SSD made a big difference.

Two sources of noise - drives and fans.

The old 5400rpm WD Red drives were very quiet but the new WD Red drives (called 5400 but actually 7200) are pretty noisy, as are the WD Gold drives. So pick your poison!

Both QNAP and Synology NAS enclosures have noisy fans. My WD MyCloud EX2/ultra has a pretty quiet fan. Less flexible than the other makes but if all you any is storage, I would recommend this NAS enclosure.

If your NAS is only used to store and serve music it won't be working hard, so if you haven't already done so, set its fan to 'low power mode' so that it runs at lower speed, and also turns off when the NAS has cooled. If it's still too noisy, maybe time to look for something else.
(Also, can you move it to a different location where it's out of earshot? As long as it has power and a network connection it will work just as well at a distance.)

Well, after all the good advice on here, I did some research and persuaded my wife to buy me an Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 as a birthday present. I can report that it does exactly what I wanted - it's virtually silent, boots up in 30 seconds, looks at home on the hi-fi rack and acts as a disk-ripper as well.

I'm running a two bay QNAP with WD reds. It is slow to boot fully and launch its startup processes. However, I find that the noise isn't from the fan per se but an annoying resonance in the case. I swapped the factory 70 mm fan for a Noctua 60 mm which made little difference.

I'm running a two bay QNAP with WD reds. It is slow to boot fully and launch its startup process. However, I find that the noise isn't from the fan per se but an annoying resonance in the case. I swapped the factory 70 mm fan for a Noctua 60 mm which made little difference.
Maybe some dynamat on the case would help?

I'm running a two bay QNAP with WD reds. It is slow to boot fully and launch its startup processes. However, I find that the noise isn't from the fan per se but an annoying resonance in the case. I swapped the factory 70 mm fan for a Noctua 60 mm which made little difference.
I dealt with my noisy NAS and quietened it tot he point where it's no longer audible from my chair in the middle of the night let alone during the day. It should be said that there are only SSDs in the Synology and that, with my solution, SSD temperatures stay at or below 38°C according to the monitoring software.

I put the NAS in a box made from a single cell EKET (35x35x25cm) from Ikea for base and walls with a tight-fitting 15mm plywood lid. Only symbolic ventilation from the 20mm hole drilled for the cables (15mm would have been enough but I didn't want to buy another bit for the drill). I also plonked a metal doorstop on top of the NAS casing to dampen vibrations from the fan. The cost was very modest.

advertisement

Back