advertisement

Shahinian Speakers in Small Room

wazza69

pfm Member
Hi,

Has anyone tried Shahnian Compasses or Arcs in a smaller room? I need to find something todler friendly for a 3.6m sq room. Amp is Naim Supernait/Hicap DR

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

I've had Arcs in a small room and they were surprisingly accommodative of their surroundings. However, the little Shahinian Super Elves are a much better speaker in my small room. "Norman Green" of this parish (I bought my Elves off him) felt the same way (I seem to remember he bought new Arcs after selling me his, and then went back to Elves again). I have not heard Compasses, but I can recommend the Super Elf highly if you can find a recent-ish pair.

I use Arcs in a room of similar dimensions , I have also used Compasses in this room.

I did have a few bass problems and I eventually replaced my then Naim amps(52/250) with something a little more neutral.

If you plan to listen to some bass heavy material the Shahinians can really load up tje room.

Regards David

One thing to bear in mind is the type of floor. A suspended wooden floor and associated void may be excited by the amount of deep bass that you can get from Shahinians and that may result in unpleasant booming.

My Obs2 produces vibrations through the fabric of the house and that on oak laid over a concrete floor even at modest volumes. Nice though and no booooommm.

Cheers,

DV

I had Compasses in a small room (13x11), no problem whatsoever, now have Obelisks in the same room and they are fine too.

I've had Arcs for nearly 20 years, in a variety of houses and rooms sizes- they were worst in a large room with a suspended wooden floor, yet great in a small concrete floored room!
You can always dump a big cushion against the wall behind them if they're boom laden ;)
Oh, and they work really well with Mogami cable, and don't take a lot of driving...
I'd be happy with Elves if the Arcs didn't physically fit, as the Arcs do need a bit of breathing space around them IMHO.

Thanks all. The floor is carpet on concrete which is good. I had a look at some Elves, looks interesting but I don't think you can buy the recommended stand from Ikea anymore (the Kompass).

Hi. I currently have a pair of Compasses in a 12" x 14" room and find they are spot on. They' re being driven by a pair of Albarry 1008Ms which do a wonderful job. Until recently I ran them with a Sugden A21a which also worked well. I'd say they are fairly tolerant of amplification, room size and positioning. There's a pair of Super Elves on fleabay at the moment and I believe the stands are also available. Mark.

Thanks all. The floor is carpet on concrete which is good. I had a look at some Elves, looks interesting but I don't think you can buy the recommended stand from Ikea anymore (the Kompass).

I have a spare pair if you ever need a set - bought just in case I needed another set of Elves.....

With the funny gain on the Naim volume control (nearly everything before 9 o'clock) you might have trouble getting the volume right at the low outputs needed in such a small room.

I've had Arcs in a small room and they were surprisingly accommodative of their surroundings. However, the little Shahinian Super Elves are a much better speaker in my small room. "Norman Green" of this parish (I bought my Elves off him) felt the same way (I seem to remember he bought new Arcs after selling me his, and then went back to Elves again). I have not heard Compasses, but I can recommend the Super Elf highly if you can find a recent-ish pair.

Couldn't agree more!

I have a spare pair if you ever need a set - bought just in case I needed another set of Elves...

The Elfs ( Elves...) I’ve bought have 3 x legged floor stands which tilt the speakers back.
I was planning to try the Elves on normal floor stands used for LS3/5as.

Do the floor stands emphasise the bass end on the Shahinians ?

I used normal floor stands with Super Elves for many years. I never heard them on the IKEA stands because I didn’t like the look of them and, although I never did a side by side comparison, the dealer that sold me the speakers strongly recommended regular floor stands. I never thought the Super Elves were particularly bass light, but, as a small box stand mount, they can never match the bass extension of floor standers. And, by the way, I have never known where the recommendation for the IKEA stands came from? No doubt someone here will know?

I was using a SN2 with h/cap Dr, as well as a 250dr, in different combinations, into mk1 Compasses with mk2 drivers/tweeters, in my 15' x 11' room. It sounded really good, but a bit of bass boom through the rest of the house. I changed the hard plastic feet on the speakers to a vibration damping rubber and that really tamed the bass throughout the house, while losing nothing I could hear in the listening room.
(I then went to a Townshend Allegri + pre amp in place of the SN2 and hicap Dr and that was just as dynamic and as well controlled, so money in the bank. Then went to an old Dynavector HX75 power amp which gives better defined bass and really "woke up" the Compasses, 250 Dr went and more money in the bank!)

I’ve had both Compasses and Arcs in a relatively small room - 13 feet by 11 feet with speakers firing across the room. The room is about 8 feet high. Using Naim 272/300. Both speakers work well but I found that positioning was important as the drivers are angled up - so to get best effect you need to experiment. I also had quite a lot of echo in the room and there was a some harshness in eg vocals - so I put foam corner bass traps in each of the front corners - ie same wall as the speakers- and this improved matters greatly.

advertisement

Back