advertisement

First hi-fi item purchased

The first system I had was in 1971 and it was far from HiFi but it did start me on the HiFi road. I lived in Yorkshire but worked around London as a Contracting Electrician. London had the highest pay scale and as work was scarce in Yorkshire I had to work away from home so you may as well go for the highest pay. I needed something I could take from town to town on public transport easily so I bought an Elpico car 8Track and car speakers I was working on a school in Clacton during the summer holidays at the time. The only 240-12v transformers you could get were for Cassette Players and did not have enough power to operate the solenoid on the 8track so I had to change tracks by hand. In our refurbishment of the school I came across a Big Arzed transformer from the fire-alarm system that was no longer needed so a plan came to mind. 4 diodes a bit of wire and some crimp-on spade connectors and we had constant music. This thing was lethal, I remember having it on a building site one tea break when one of the spade terminations came off and I burnt my fingers pushing it back on, should have used insulated crimp-ons. Well now you know more about me than my wife does, if I tell you any more I will have to kill you.

Fast forward to 1973, still relying on public transport, I think I was working on a job at Ford's plant in Langley along the M4 and one Saturday I caught the train into London to go and buy a real hifi system. I have the feeling the shop was in the Wimbledon area, I found it in a HiFi Magazine and the owner was very helpful. I came away with a Garrard sp25, a Nikko amp, and a pair of Dynatron??? speakers the shop owner said for the same price I should be taking a pair of AR? speakers but not knowing anything at that time I said my fiend has a pair of these and they're OK. How the hell I got this lot back to Langley or where-ever on public transport I don't know. I can remember setting it up in the digs and listening to The Who Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy with a friend. At the end of Happy Jack we heard a voice say "I saw Yer" and we both thought it was Wally one of the other Electricians on the job. It wasn't until we went out of the room looking for Wally and not finding him we replayed that track and there he was again.

Alan

Teleton GA101, Garrard AP76, Goldring G800, Wharfedale unit 2 (I think?) speaker kit and wood for the speaker cabs. This was when I was at school in the early 70s

1983 from Billy Vee with the aid of some 21st Birthday money I bought a Dual CS505II ortofon Cart NAD 3020 and a pair of Kef Cantor speakers. Loved that little system. Upgraded the deck to Systemdek 2 (Biscuit Tin) LVX MP11 a bit later

1977 at the start of my second term at university (from my student grant): Pioneer PL12D, Pioneer SA5300 and AR7X speakers. Lasted me 20 years.

Ariston Q-Deck, Ortofon OM10, NAD3010e, little Mission speakers. All from Richer Sounds Cardiff.

Joey Beltram at full volume, with the bass turned fully up soon put paid to the speakers. Replaced with JPW Gold Monitors, which were much better.

All on a Sound Organisation two shelf stand.

Early eighties. All bought from Harry Garlic's in Clitheroe ..... saved up from my Saturday job at the Spar in Whalley. TrioKD-1033 turntable, Castle Richmond speakers (made just up the road in Skipton at the time) and a Sony TA333 amp. My dad welded me some speaker stands together too.

Something very similar to this in 1972. It was my 15th birthday, and it was a great one. A whole big stack of white Fisher boxes with blue letting. Opening and setting it up was pure joy. Didn’t sound great, but I didn’t know or care. I could finally play records, cassettes and AM/FM on my own rig! Brilliant!

F9-A09-DE7-31-B6-4-CE1-9-CDB-AA5-D836-AB97-E.jpg

1972 - birthday pressie to take to Uni.
Garrard SP25 Mk.3 with Audio Technica MM cart.
Teleton SAQ206 integrated amp
Keletron speakers

1988 Pioneer PD5100 CD player bought when I was 16 with money saved from part time jobs.Remember vividly going into my town’s HiFi shop - back when every town had one - and being amazed by shelves and shelves of kit. Loved all the digital features like random play and track programming. Heady days.

Pioneer midi system in the late 80s. £400 (!) paid for by paper round cash. Turntable was bobbins and speakers were crud (later replaced by JPW mini monitors) but I absolutely loved it and got well over a decade of use out of it - I pretty much wore out the tape heads.

Last edited:
Went into things quick when I was 15 and decided to take my grandfather’s system out of storage 25 years after his passing. Thiel CS1.2, Adcom GFA 555 + an adcom pre, and I saved up to get a used Rega P1. The Thiels needed a recone on the woofer which someone did locally for cheap. I later changed things around, but always kept the Thiels. Had his old Adcom CD played which crapped out not too long after I started using it.

Dad’s work colleague brought his big speakered ‘hi fi’ around to dem, and I was hooked.
Went to local Comet to buy Garrard AP76 turntable, and a Leak ‘30’ amp, with Wharfedale Denton Speakers, then ‘upgraded?’ To Wharfedale Lintons!? Then reading mags, without auditioning, bought their recommended Pioneer LP12 turntable/shure cartridge, then Pioneer TX 6200 tuner, THEN the matching amp, SA6200. Sold on to guy at The Poly, and moved on to a Dual CS 604 direct drive turntable with A & R P77 cart (no local Rega dealer’s) with an A & R A60 amp, and B&W DM4 speaker’s with their dedicated sand filled stands, which I kept for many years until funds became available to upgrade again...

Mid 1970's - JVC KDA21 cassette deck and some headphones.
I had to wait another year or two for the JVC JAS11 amp and some borrowed music centre speakers.

Not that it can be called hifi but a Garrard SP25 with a Sinclair P6** built in with a pair of home made speakers built around EMI twin cone elliptical drivers was my first foray.
2 or 3 years later after serious saving managed to buy a Pioneer PL12D/ADC VLM and Ferrograph 307 (still using the same speakers)
Only a small room so speaker efficiency wasn't a problem a few months later bought a pair of AR6's.

Around 1991, I was 15 and in the summer got my first job cleaning cars at a local dealership in Cambridge.

My first months pay (£240!) bought me a pair of Kef K160s. Super excited as I thought they sounded good in the shop on the end of the Pioneer A400.

Got them home and was immediately disappointed! I was using the Denon PMA350 II, which I had got for Xmas.

advertisement

Back