advertisement

Rega Amplifiers and “Simulated Class A”?

kristoffer

Danish Hi Fi NERD
So apparently all Rega Amps are using some form of “Emulated Class A”, but what does that mean?
This is what it says regarding the Elicit-R from Rega’s website:

TECHNOLOGY
The output amplifier used in the Elicit-Rwas born after extensive research by our engineers to develop a low source Class A driver stage, based around a complementary pair of Darlington output transistors, forming an emulated Class A drive”

can someone explain?
My Elex-R use the same principle, I think?

I suspect there is nothing much more in there than a standard class A driver stage with maybe a bit more quiescent current than usual.

Seems like their marketing guys have go a bit confused, perhaps they meant to write:
TECHNOLOGY
The output amplifier used in the Elicit-Rwas born after extensive research by our engineers to develop a low source impedance Class A driver stage, the output stage is based around a complementary pair of Darlington output transistors, forming a n emulated Class A drive fairly standard output stage

??

Yep sounds like it was written by the marketing department. It is pretty meaningless technically. FWIW it appears to use the Borbely-Lender topology for the VA/driver.

It’s worth pointing out at this stage that Rega don’t have a marketing department. Terry Bateman used to write the blurbs, which would then be sanity-checked and stuck in the brochure or on the web. I can’t imagine much has changed; Roy always had very very strong views on what constituted good marketing and that no company of Regas size could ever hope to make a good go of it and should just concentrate on making good products.

Maybe someone else has “polished” it then. It certainly won’t be anyone from a marketing department though. I haven’t seen Terry for a few years now, he may well be retired, although I can’t imagine him doing that really.

I’m pressure they have a marketing team, how else do they place ads or secure product placement. Perhaps they use an agency. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd certainly like to understand more about it.
I enjoyed a little IO so much that I just picked up an Elicit-R and judging by the heatsink temps after about 1 hour idling, the bias is definitely cranked up substantially compared to peers.

I usually struggle to differentiate between 'competent' SS amplifiers (Cyrus, Arcam, Naim, Linn, Audiolab, Marantz, bla bla bla) but there is something subtly different about these Rega amplifiers, and in a good way. Super refined and sweet, full bodied even at low listening levels - rather like the promise of Class A.

Whatever Terry is doing, carry on!

PS: I'll measure the mains current draw tomorrow, should be interesting.

They produce marketing material & have product placement in music mags, all this is designed by someone. Nothing wrong with that either.
No, of course they try and make their product visible. I’m not saying they don’t. However, they’ve never placed a single ad for product anywhere. The mags review the stuff because they want to but there can never be any accusation with Rega that good reviews are linked to ad spend because there isn’t any. They have two sales reps and that’s it.

No, of course they try and make their product visible. I’m not saying they don’t. However, they’ve never placed a single ad for product anywhere. The mags review the stuff because they want to but there can never be any accusation with Rega that good reviews are linked to ad spend because there isn’t any. They have two sales reps and that’s it.
They provide audio equipment for music mags, logos are placed in prominent positions, Tim’s Twitter parties etc. I am sure they employ some form of digital marketing. Good reviews are not linked to ad spend by any manufacturer, or they shouldn’t be as it is illegal.

Again, there is nothing wrong with this.

They provide audio equipment for music mags, logos are placed in prominent positions, Tim’s Twitter parties etc. I am sure they employ some form of digital marketing. Good reviews are not linked to ad spend by any manufacturer, or they shouldn’t be as it is illegal.

Again, there is nothing wrong with this.
Good reviews absolutely have been linked to ad spend in the past. I’m not going to libel anyone, of course, but I know of several examples and there’s more than one example I could name where a product was given a 5 star review and returned to the manufacturer still in its sealed box. Illegal maybe but it was certainly common in the past.

As I understand it, Rega distributors place ads and loan product for review. Rega does not have a marketing dept and have not hired anyone to market their products.

I’m very glad to hear it. Long may he keep the curry houses of Southend in business.

Rega-Aria-100.jpg

I'd certainly like to understand more about it.
I enjoyed a little IO so much that I just picked up an Elicit-R and judging by the heatsink temps after about 1 hour idling, the bias is definitely cranked up substantially compared to peers.

I usually struggle to differentiate between 'competent' SS amplifiers (Cyrus, Arcam, Naim, Linn, Audiolab, Marantz, bla bla bla) but there is something subtly different about these Rega amplifiers, and in a good way. Super refined and sweet, full bodied even at low listening levels - rather like the promise of Class A.

Whatever Terry is doing, carry on!

PS: I'll measure the mains current draw tomorrow, should be interesting.
No need to measure anything, Rob, mystery solved.

image-asset.jpg

advertisement

Back