advertisement

People getting arsey in audio threads

Zarniwoop,

Not really, but the cool logo lights up.

46b91424691ee327d90713095fcc16e7.jpg

I know the objectivists are thinking that it doesn't measure well. It measures just fine if the intent was for the amp to have measurements such that it's vaguely stingray-shaped.

Joe

Zarniwoop,

I know the objectivists are thinking that it doesn't measure well. It measures just fine if the intent was for the amp to have measurements such that it's vaguely stingray-shaped.

Joe

What I really like about the amp being that shape is the valves look like a band on stage with 3 big speaker stacks behind them. Better than a fish I'd say.

What makes me laugh is in off topic you'll get someone panning football (A N Other pass time) and it's fans as idiots, who then go on to argue with someone on the internet about a mains cable.

Hi fi is ultimately a collection of electronic engineering with added mechanical and acoustic engineering here and there to add to the fun. It is by nature highly technical once you get beyond the purely subjective and "I see 'Acme' have a new model out" or what do you think of the styling of this....

There are maybe a dozen or so regular posters here who are genuine experts. Professionals, and a few who are such experienced and knowledgeable amateurs that they could be pro's.

We have such things as the 5G and anti-vaxxer conspiracies because loads of people who don't know their arse from their elbow on either mobile phone transmission technology or virology and medicine are allowed just as much of a vociferous opinion, on countless platforms, as actual mobile phone experts and real doctors.... but vastly outnumber them and tend to shout louder and ten times as often.... It's "the democracy of the internet"... for better or worse!
Maybe true for the technical aspects of how equipment is designed but when it comes to whether or not the equipment satisfactorily recreates music in our homes we are all experts; apart, perhaps, from those audio pedants who think that only hifi transparency (whatever that is) counts when it comes to listening to music!

What I really like about the amp being that shape is the valves look like a band on stage with 3 big speaker stacks behind them.
And two groups of backing singers. I guess the caps represent the hired hands that are there to beef up the live sound a bit. Second guitar (so you get both lead and rhythm parts) and keyboards (which the bass player covers in the studio.)

Human (or more specifically, middle aged> bloke) nature, go sit in any old drinker’s pub on an evening, you’ll hear grown men bicker about just about anything… I remember a few years ago listening to a highly vocal debate about who was more talented out of Barbra Streisand, David Bowie or Neil Young, blokes in their late 60s/early 70s properly raising their voices (yes really). Now consider how many of these types of people there are out there that have internet access, it’s inevitable.:D
Who won?

I know it's obvious but it is worth acknowledging, negative communication is counterproductive in any conversation. It very difficult to build on an insult, all that happens in the majority of cases is ignore it or escalate it, either way the conversation is pretty much over. If having the last word or getting your opinion out is important to you then so be it, but don't fool yourself into thinking you have won anything, when we cease to be able to communicate we all lose. The use of pejorative terms may make you feel like you have struck a witty blow, but it really is little more than something we should have grown out of in the playground. It might be a useful tool to trigger someone into returning an insult, but that is hardly productive. Well presented viewpoints on any subject can make it a very enjoyable and rewarding read, well presented doesn't mean every post has to be spell checked with references presented, just considerate.

I'm fairly certain I fail at this at times as most of us do, and I do appreciate it is an 'ideal world' hope, but it's not a bad way to go about communicating with others.

Zarniwoop,

Joe
I like to think the designer was set the challenge of building an amp with a small front panel and this was the genius response.

I like a bit of a ruck in a thread, but I also like trained professionals who aren't pushing ideology, and I like massively experienced amateurs with deep knowledge in one area. Who have a great spread of both.

But my favourite posters are single topic sock puppets... obs.

Grunty,

I rather like the look of that Manley Stingray - looks better than the Stingray II to me.

I agree. The Stingray II: Electric Boogaloo is a better amp, but the original Stingray looks much sleeker in my view.

Joe

advertisement

Back