advertisement

Wimbles.....anyone watching?

I sense a bitterness against Federer there, All three of the greats are now past it and the new boys can smell blood.

Tomorrow will be an interesting game, but Djoc wont be playing slams at 39.

Djoc past it? He’s won every slam this year. I still believe he has a few years left yet. Tomorrow will be interesting as Berrettini has been playing well but I expect Novak to prevail.

I really don’t see the players coming through matching the dominance of the big three.

No bitterness towards Federer the bad loser. Went off court the other day after his defeat in a right strop! :D

Where is this written ?

If I may make a comparison to cycling, Armstrong has won two more Tours than Merckx (let’s for a minute leave out the doping aspect as they both did it on a permanent basis), but all in all Merckx won a number of races which will probably never be matched again. Armstrong focused and trained exclusively with the Tour in mind, Merckx was the born racer. To me Federer is the greater player because of his touch, his versatility and his professionalism, but in recent years he also focused on Slams, I guess there’s an age for everything.

It’s not written but I think it’s widely accepted in tennis that slams are what really counts. Career titles do matter and Novak still has time to close the gap.

No doubting all three are great players and there will be differences of opinion. I still think Djok is the best all round player and greatest returner we’ve ever seen.

I’ll throw something else in the mix. Djokovic leads on head-to-heads against both Nadal and Federer. And Djok the first man to win all four grand slams twice. Look at the stats and Novak generally comes out on top.

My favourite player was Miloslav Mecir with MacEnroe a close second.

Djoc clearly isnt past it, hes just very close to the end of his run.

He’s likely to make that 20 on Sunday.

Yes, but unlike the explosive yet inconsistent playing of Shapovalov, Berrettini has about the biggest and most accurate serve on court and has, judged by his recent game, added a lot of other weapons to his skill set. As long as he keeps smiling, doesn't lose his nerve or footing, Novak faces a struggle. After all, he has been beaten; many times, though he seems to be a much more accomplished performer than hitherto.

Djokovic was obviously shaken yesterday by a younger man that clearly had the game to wipe him off the court.

Surprised and impressed, maybe, but 'shaken'? No.

I sense a bitterness against Djokovic there.

Novak has always been a Marmite player; my sister still loathes him (I don't at all; quite admire his maturity). As the interviewee said 2 matches ago, " Now you've won so many slams, are you now trying to win over the crowds?" (or words to that effect). He's come a long way in both, but it's still respect rather than love.

Roger unlike nearly all the others plays with single handed backhand, and its a beautiful thing !. One of the reasons he s more popular than joker. Joker though will rewrite record books. Emma R will be the new Queen, at least of British tennis !. And we love her. Go Rad s.

Djokovic was obviously shaken yesterday by a younger man that clearly had the game to wipe him off the court.

When Shapovalov reviews the game and realises the obvious mistakes he made it wont be long before hes back.

Novaks days are seriously numbered.

Djoker has never been my favourite player but clearly his days are not numbered. Physically and mentally he is playing as well as I've ever seen. My wife is convinced that he spots opponents just to see if he come come back and still win. Not sure about that but clearly when the pressure is on to produce an amazing point he is peerless at the moment. Shap is a great up and comer but then so was Zrerev, Tsitsi and Meds but still when it comes to that crucial moment that requires the brilliant shot vs Djoker they all fall short. I think there is a very good chance Djoker remains No 1 in the world for the next few years and then starts to trail. If I had to guess how many slams he ends with I would say between 24-28.

Know nowt about Tennis however Miss Barty looks one hell of a player.

She's a tough Aussie with a superb slice; she brings a lot to the barty but her opponent, Pisscover, was in the right arena at Wobbledom.

Seriously, though, the difference between almost ANY ladies' semis and finals (esp. finals) and the men's is not just the extra sets. Nor is it the extra power and speed of serve of the men. It's the variety and sheer incredulity of the skill sets and shots. Why is this? Yesterday's match was, with one or two exceptions, the usual base-line exchanges; didn't see a drop shot; maybe one that I missed, and a lob. At least it went to 3 sets as prophesied by J. McE. No idea why people pay vast sums to watch what is frequently an anodyne two-setter lasting an hour.

For Heaven's sake make the ladies' final (and semis) five setters; surely they're inured to that extra slog after going through 5 (?) previous matches.

Many women were tricked into going to Wimbledon because it was a men's singles event.

It’s not written but I think it’s widely accepted in tennis that slams are what really counts. Career titles do matter and Novak still has time to close the gap.

No doubting all three are great players and there will be differences of opinion. I still think Djok is the best all round player and greatest returner we’ve ever seen.

I’ll throw something else in the mix. Djokovic leads on head-to-heads against both Nadal and Federer. And Djok the first man to win all four grand slams twice. Look at the stats and Novak generally comes out on top.
I think the numbers show djoc is the greatest, the eyes maybe say otherwise. I suppose it's just sentiment and difficulty in supporting such a pragmatist with no obvious flaws.

I rather admire him but I'm seldom thrilled by his game.

I think the numbers show djoc is the greatest, the eyes maybe say otherwise. I suppose it's just sentiment and difficulty in supporting such a pragmatist with no obvious flaws.

I rather admire him but I'm seldom thrilled by his game.

I’d probably agree that there’s a respect and admiration for him rather than love.

Stats wise he’s definitely the greatest though for me.

Stats wise he’s definitely the greatest though for me.

I would agree with this.

The reason he isn't as liked as the others is as mentioned before. His 'gaming' antics in the past and he just tries too hard to be liked instead of being himself and letting the chips fall where they may.

A sixth Wimbledon slam and now level with Federer and Nadal on 20 Grand Slams! :)

But didn't Matteo Berrettini do well for a first slam final? Didn't know they were friends and sparring partners, but I guess that's not unusual at that level. One wonders, as he had his left thigh bandaged up, whether that had any effect on his game. Certainly, his first serves were neither as frequent nor accurate as previously and his unforced errors were almost all in going over the high point of the net against slices.

Think he'll now be seeded 7 or 8; great career ahead for this chap.

advertisement

Back