advertisement

Physically small hifi (amps mainly)

Another recommendation for TEAC, the reference series AH 500i is small and tidy, sounds more powerful than its rated output. More easily found on the used market in the UK than in N America.

ATCs like a bit of power. I'd be looking at something Hypex, a DIY build to save money, but there are plenty of small form factor commercial Hypex amps around.

s-l1600.jpg

From elsewhere in this forum.

Thanks for all the input. I like the look of the Benchmark, the temple audio and the Bel Canto in particular. I'd really like to keep it under £500, so other than some ninja ebay work, they all look a bit steep.

I may try with the Quad combo to start with, 34 pre and a 306 or 405. I've not had those at home so would be an interesting start point. May try and locate a fixerupper type set first to start cheap and just re-cap or repair any issues they would be relatively easy to move on should I decide to change after a while.

Hypex NC400?

In monoblock form that are not large, have a huge amount of power on top and test/review very very well.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-measurements-of-hypex-nc400-diy-amp.5907/

"Performance actually improves up to about 30 to 50 watts and then starts to climb some. At near full clipping, we get healthy amount of power (225 watts both channels driven) with 0.004% distortion. It completely blows out of water the previously tested amps in both power and distortion/noise."

WR60zbJm.jpg

*edit - Just seen your budget constraints... There are out, a pair is usually around £1000ish

I'm actually interested in a fixer, then I can do a full electrolytic recap and re-sink the transistors on new compound etc so I know it's all good. I did this with my A60 and it's been spot on.

Most Pro-Ject gear and the Chord TT series of DACs and amps will easily fit on a 12 inch shelf and should sound pretty good too.

CI Audio C•100S. Small, 100 wpc, handmade in California, excellent, $1,495.
+1 for Channel Islands Audio, very high quality products and they also use only the best components available. They are built to last. Just listen to it before buying to make sure the sound is okay for you but the risk to be disappointed is rather low IMO.

Reactions: CSP
I haven’t tried one but the offerings from SMSL look interesting for not much. I think it’s called the da-9 or something and definitely small (and cheap).

Probably not worthy of ATC speakers though…

With size constraints I imagine it will be hard to beat the PS Audio Sprout 100 although it's slightly over budget. The only other one might be the NAD D 3020v2 or perhaps even the D 3045.

EDIT: Just remembered the B.K. Electronics Pear Drop.
EDIT2: Looks like the Rega IO also fits.
EDIT3: The Totem Kin Amp also might fit. If I think of any more I'll let you know.

advertisement

Back