advertisement

Top 5 Worst Sounding Integrated Amps

You assume that all companies even listen to their amps? Or that they care what they sound like? Some don't do either.

It's been documented in more than one Stereophile review that Lamm (that ultra $$$ manufacturer) does not listen to his amps, at least during the design phase.

I do. It is. As agreed by probably 90% of hi fi manufactures and everyone who has the faintest clue of what they are talking about.
A dim recollection - Changed an Alps Blue Velvet for a Black Silk in a Densen BEAT B100, my own personal unit because it had clearly failed and the channels balance was way off until about 40% in.

The next owner (someone who was here at the time - I've been kicking myself for 10-15 years for moving it on) blew up one channel and it got sent back to Densen for repair. Which they did, I believe, for free. But they asked the new owner if it had been modded and he said the voume pot had been replaced. Apparently they told him that the change to the Black Silk (think it's silk - I bought it from RS and they don't seem to have them now) was the only upgrade they believed worthwhile to do to it.

It's been documented in more than one Stereophile review that Lamm (that ultra $$$ manufacturer) does not listen to his amps, at least during the design phase.

No one listens to them during the initial design phase! You have to get an amplifier actually working and stable and safe to connect the speakers to, which is all done on the bench and using instruments, before you can have a first listen to it.

No one listens to them during the initial design phase! You have to get an amplifier actually working and stable and safe to connect the speakers to, which is all done on the bench and using instruments, before you can have a first listen to it.

Except those manufacturers that pass that "stable" bit onto their customers to sort out with speaker cable etc. of course. ;)

A dim recollection - Changed an Alps Blue Velvet for a Black Silk in a Densen BEAT B100, my own personal unit because it had clearly failed and the channels balance was way off until about 40% in.

The next owner (someone who was here at the time - I've been kicking myself for 10-15 years for moving it on) blew up one channel and it got sent back to Densen for repair. Which they did, I believe, for free. But they asked the new owner if it had been modded and he said the voume pot had been replaced. Apparently they told him that the change to the Black Silk (think it's silk - I bought it from RS and they don't seem to have them now) was the only upgrade they believed worthwhile to do to it.

If it was faulty... I've used dozens of these in my own work and worked on hundreds of amps which use them and I've yet to notice any channel balance issue. It's why they are so universally popular! "Fit an Alps blue and that's the problem of channel balance due to poor tracking of vol pot sorted". Sure a stepped attenuator is loads better still.

If it was faulty... I've used dozens of these in my own work and worked on hundreds of amps which use them and I've yet to notice any channel balance issue. It's why they are so universally popular! "Fit an Alps blue and that's the problem of channel balance due to poor tracking of vol pot sorted". Sure a stepped attenuator is loads better still.

Yes, I agree. Blue Velvet are the "go to" for high quality pots, not just for channel balance but also for low noise and length of life I understand.
My Densen was secondhand, and everything wears out eventually, I can't speak for it's preious use or owner. Was just saying that despite having built the B100 with a Blue Velvet, their only recommended improvement was just the model up in the ALPS range.

You assume that all companies even listen to their amps? Or that they care what they sound like? Some don't do either.

seems bonkers. like a painter not looking at his painting? I realize it's engineering and not art, but surely you're still interested in the results of your work?

seems bonkers. like a painter not looking at his painting? I realize it's engineering and not art, but surely you're still interested in the results of your work?

I am. Quad reputedly designed their amps to meet a certain measured performance spec and then manufactured them that way and I'm sure several others have done the same.

At the design stage then the automotive analogy could be you can't see what it feels like to drive, how it handles etc, until all four wheels are on and the engine and gearbox are working...

Yes, in a famous interview (reprinted in KK’s book) PJW said that he didn’t actually listen to his amps during the designing phase. Makes sense.

Sigh. I'm well aware of that. Allow me to clarify. He doesn't listen to them either during voicing or even afterwards. Is that better???

Worst sounding amp I have owned was the Naim Nac 202 / Nap 200 combination - all Hifi and no music. So disappointing compared to other Naim Amps I have owned.

Worst sounding amp I have heard (not owned) was probably the original Mission Cyrus 2 - far too bright

Sodders!
Blimey it’s like bumping into an ex girlfriend who you took up the wrong’n.

That was supposed to be Our Little Secret - 'what happens in Skeggy, stays in Skeggy' and all that...

Pity the camel had to be put-down, mind.

And I heard they had to burn the caravan...

Ahem! Sorry, nostalgia-digression there... *wistful~sigh*

That was supposed to be Our Little Secret - 'what happens in Skeggy, stays in Skeggy' and all that...

Pity the camel had to be put-down, mind.

And I heard they had to burn the caravan...

Ahem! Sorry, nostalgia-digression there... *wistful~sigh*

Funny bumping into you here...

you sold me that lousy squeaky roksan integrated in the first place!!!!! :eek:

lousy squeaky roksan integrated

I tried to warn you! Hope that godawful thing has had a mention in the Hall Of Shame? Roksan Kandy mk.1 - Twhat Hifi? used to spaff all over it every issue. My idiot brother used it with Quad 12 loudsqueakers... A dental drill to the auditory-canal would have been more enjoyable. Hot garbage.

I for one like a bright amp, or CD player for that matter. It makes for my slight hearing loss.
No, all things considered it is a paramount characteristic actually!

Worst sounding amp I have heard (not owned) was probably the original Mission Cyrus 2 - far too bright
A mate's dad had one of these back in the 80s. I thought it was just me who thought it sounded harsh because he didn't know how to listen, because the mags of the time adored it of course. Full back cover advert every month would ensure that, I now know. My pal had another room upstairs with Rotel 820, some small Wharfeys and a Dual that sounded better, even if neither of us would ever dare admit it.

advertisement

Back