advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Hamish & Roger Macer were the founders of the Sound Organisation & LP12 guru Derek Jenkins, LP12 guru worked in the London branch for a while too.

My mistake, Jeff, it must have been one of the lads from the shop, then.

But, hey, thanks for confirming it all the same.

P.S. I think all of this went down back when you were off off-Broadway, NY.

Honestly, it's all a blur now. just one big blur. I miss Hifi shops and the pace they brought to life. I think the biggest function a good hifi shop served was to allow men a chance to cut-out of everything, perhaps once a month or once a fortnight, and take a few hours to just relax on a couch, hear some music, and blow off some steam without much social pressure.

Anyway...yeah.

Honestly, it's all a blur now. just one big blur. I miss Hifi shops and the pace they brought to life. I think the biggest function a good hifi shop served was to allow men a chance to cut-out of everything, perhaps once a month or once a fortnight, and take a few hours to just relax on a couch, hear some music, and blow off some steam without much social pressure.
I hear you, Jeff. I miss the old shop. It may have been before your time, but I worked next door (back office upstairs) for a number of years. We were grey marketing cars across the boarder into the US; lots of high end rides. I used to tease your Dad that we could get him into something nicer than whatever he happened to be driving at the time, and he used to come back with how he couldn't afford to be receiving stolen goods! Happy days.

Hamish & Roger Macer were the founders of the Sound Organisation & LP12 guru Derek Jenkins, LP12 guru worked in the London branch for a while too.

I used to go there from when they opened I think 1983 till the closed bought my 32, Snaps, 250 and DMS Isobariks and the Sound Organisation tables. Later the 32 was then 32.5 and Hi-Cap and Derek looked after the LP 12 still kept in touch with him ever since a true genius on an LP 12 or any turntable.
Sorely missed by me and many others.

Regards,

Martin

Derek looked after the LP 12 still kept in touch with him ever since a true genius on an LP 12 or any turntable.
Sorely missed by me and many others.

Yes, I met Derek at the Audio Venue, Crystal palace & the subsequently at the Sound Organisation & Infidelity.

Yes, I met Derek at the Audio Venue, Crystal palace & the subsequently at the Sound Organisation & Infidelity.

Infidelity? Was that the shop in Middlesex Street E1. Just off Bishopsgate? If it is not Infidelity, what was it called as I have forgotten its name.

No, Infidelity is at Hampton Wick, near Kingston.

Thanks...i knew there is a shop called Infidelity in Hampton Wick but one of the chaps who ran SO in the Borough definitely moved to a hifi shop in Middlesex Street...the name of which I forget...they were not there long.

The guy who owned the shop was Steve Daniels and he eventually ended up as Rega’s US distributor. I don’t know about Middlesex St though. I don’t know much about that London in that era. Presumably the beer was still headless and it was just as forbidden to make eye contact on the tube…

Always enjoyed my visits to the London branch, which usually ended in everyone heading for the pub after the dem.
That brought back some memories. I used to work a couple of minutes away from the S.O. I’ve lost count of the number of late nights after a few in the Market Porter with Roger.

I wonder how long before Naim release the obligatory record clamp. That McClamp looks like a large-sized version of the one in my old Naim CDP.

mt10-angle.ashx
New Puck!;)

The guy who owned the shop was Steve Daniels and he eventually ended up as Rega’s US distributor.

Oh flashback!!! Spent countless nights drinking whisky with Steve when he was at Linn and visited us while I worked for my local Linn dealer (Precision Audio, Inc.) back in the mid-80s!

That's one hell of a review. Quite touching that he mentions Malcolm Steward, who certainly would have loved this turntable.

advertisement

Back