advertisement

Top 5 Worst Sounding Integrated Amps

I wasn't able to afford a remotely decent hifi throughout my youth, so didn't get my first "hifi" until I was in my 30s: off the top-shelf at Tesco, branded "Dual" - pure Chinese garbage, and deeply unsatisfying, "but you get what you pay for" said the moneyless-fool... When my dad died suddenly, my brother who lived nearby simply threw everything the old bugger possessed into a skip - and it was from there I obtained my first upgrade: a Denon UDM-30 - which actually sounded amazing hot-on-the heels of Tesco's finest. I should have stopped there.

Sadly, with that the audiophool bug bit me hard on the backside, and I was all-too-soon chafing for an upgrade, to-wit a Cambridge Audio 640A - newly-out, and much-lauded by the pundits. To be fair to it, it was a little better than the Denon, and devoid of any actively nasty traits, merely underwhelming.

However the bug kept biting, and all too soon I was staring down both barrels of Musical Fidelity's lovechild of a safe and shoebox - the X-150. Now that was a stinker... Shrill upper frequencies, with random, lightweight, disconnected bass, and depressingly-little in-between: rather reminiscent of large Tannoy coaxial-driver speakers there was a hole in the midrange that depressingly-large numbers of people seem unaware is absent. Sadly I was infatuated with the cute little box and began feeding it different speakers - including Richmonds, PMCs, Neats, Pro-Acs, etc. It remained horrid, so I started throwing MF's assorted little strap-on boxes into the fray - a valve impedance-matching thingy which did precisely nothing at-all, then biamping with the matching power amp - which also did precisely nothing at-all... But even that was by no means the limit of my stupidity - and so after picking the brains of a couple of people who really should have known better, I gutted the wretched thing out, pulled most of the caps and resistors, re-routed some wiring and replaced it with solid silver in Teflon, new socketry was installed, and back together it went. By some miracle it didn't blow-up, but everything that was bad about the infernal contraption was now much, much worse. I flailed away at this madness for a couple of years, and inevitably killed it stone dead. I still have it, dead in the box: my own personal albatross - always there to remind me of my unlimited folly...

I don't know how many peeps would know the answer unless they are a reviewer. Similarly, most won't know the best one either. Certainly there are plenty out there that achieved cult status that are very overrated.

Likewise mate. Been a while, but all good ta. Good to see a fair few of the old addicts from the HFC days are still in circulation too.

I don't know how many peeps would know the answer unless they are a reviewer. Similarly, most won't know the best one either. Certainly there are plenty out there that achieved cult status that are very overrated.
There is no official best or worst, it always comes down to personal experience. It is pretty hard to get an amplifier catastrophically wrong… sources and speakers less so, I have had some real stinkers there!

Ok, again from personal experience,

Way out in front as the very worst:

Naim Nait 3 - devoid of any redeeeming features. 3 different types of suitable speaker cabling (and others in desperation), 11 different speakers in 3 different rooms over a period of a fortnite. So bad we couldn't believe it, which is why we kept trying. We even thought it might be broken.

Was that the one I bought off of you, or was it Robbo? Anyhoo, it sounded great in my rig, so maybe I got lucky??

Mind you, I had a mk2 8000A (Rega Planet, Planar 3 and MS25is) that boogied like a bastard, so I'm either deaf or lucky!!!!

Naim Supernait 2. A bass-dominant, bass-driven, shrill, shrieking contraption that does boom and tizz to the nth degree to convince noobie victims that this is "good sound". Massive waste of time and money, in spite of the carefully crafted hype.
Even funnier is the SN3. They've hyped it (the complicit audio press and Naim marketing) as the next best thing to the second coming of Jesus, while in actual critical listening reality it is THE EXACT SAME AMPLIFIER as the SN2. Also hilarious, the SN3 suffers from Naim's incomprehensible choice of Alps Blue Velvet potentiometers for both the volume and balance controls. You will have channel imbalance at varying volume levels. Spoke with a friend who works at a Naim dealer who said the number of SN3s being returned for this reason is staggering. He also says that Naim will swap out one time only, in hopes that the replacement unit is slightly less out of balance. If the problem persists, Naim will no longer do a standard exchange and hides behind the statement "we know it's a problem but it SOUNDS BETTER THIS WAY".
Imagine visiting your audio friends and commenting on their new equipment; "Man, your balance control really sounds great".
What a joke!

Naim Supernait 2. A bass-dominant, bass-driven, shrill, shrieking contraption that does boom and tizz to the nth degree to convince noobie victims that this is "good sound". Massive waste of time and money, in spite of the carefully crafted hype.
Even funnier is the SN3. They've hyped it (the complicit audio press and Naim marketing) as the next best thing to the second coming of Jesus, while in actual critical listening reality it is THE EXACT SAME AMPLIFIER as the SN2. Also hilarious, the SN3 suffers from Naim's incomprehensible choice of Alps Blue Velvet potentiometers for both the volume and balance controls. You will have channel imbalance at varying volume levels. Spoke with a friend who works at a Naim dealer who said the number of SN3s being returned for this reason is staggering. He also says that Naim will swap out one time only, in hopes that the replacement unit is slightly less out of balance. If the problem persists, Naim will no longer do a standard exchange and hides behind the statement "we know it's a problem but it SOUNDS BETTER THIS WAY".
Imagine visiting your audio friends and commenting on their new equipment; "Man, your balance control really sounds great".
What a joke!

The Alps Blue pot is industry standard and about as good as it gets in channel balance for a dual gang pot. You will not get channel imbalance from these pots.

Was that the one I bought off of you, or was it Robbo? Anyhoo, it sounded great in my rig, so maybe I got lucky??

Mind you, I had a mk2 8000A (Rega Planet, Planar 3 and MS25is) that boogied like a bastard, so I'm either deaf or lucky!!!!

Do you know, I think it was! Many, many years ago now. I'm glad it worked out for you.

P.S. we had assessed it wasn't broken before we sold it, had a third party assessment tell us it was enitirely typical of the breed. Otherwise I would have just binned it.
Some stuff was actually thrown away back then, a Rega Planet cd player of dubious reliability went wrong on test once too often and got "launched" and an infamous set of Ruark Broadswords which went down in folklore as the deadest sounding most miserable creations we'd bought to that point - even though perfectly working - I skipped them, Dynaudio driver and all.

Last edited:
How does a "bad" amp make it into production? Does a company invest enough in it that they're already too far out in front and can't stop the release?

I've worked for a musical instrument and amplifier manufacturer for nearly two decades. If a product is a dog, it's not going to see a release. It may not be everyone's flavor, but it's not going to be bad.

How does a "bad" amp make it into production? Does a company invest enough in it that they're already too far out in front and can't stop the release?

I've worked for a musical instrument and amplifier manufacturer for nearly two decades. If a product is a dog, it's not going to see a release. It may not be everyone's flavor, but it's not going to be bad.

You assume that all companies even listen to their amps? Or that they care what they sound like? Some don't do either.

I remember listening to an Audiolab 8000 years ago at the long gone Farnborough Hifi, and wondering how on earth it had got good reviews (I was, perhaps, slightly less cynical then....). Soundly thrashed by an A&R A60 at two thirds of the price, which I bought.

Tastes vary, Cyrus, love em but def a matter of taste. Linn loathe, but only a opinion.
Hi fi is alchemy, get it right wow, get it wrong ouch!
It’s as much about expectations as results, I bought a old Sansui 717? In nineties, didn’t expect much but blew me away. Had AN uk Neiro, underwhelmed at cost ratio.
I’ve now got to point where cannot envision major changes,have had vitus 025 amp five years after having original 010, sooooo happy.

advertisement

Back