advertisement

New Lotus is a bit tasty hey...

andyoz

pfm Member
Hope it lives up to the already amazing (after just 24 hours) media hype...

A certain brand starting with P has had that sub £80k mid-engined car market nearly to themselves for too long.

DSC07090.jpg

Yup. Now the P-brand merely has the reliable, sub 80k mid-engined car market largely* to itself. ;)

*I think Alpine are proving fairly reliable, too.

Yup. Now the P-brand merely has the reliable, sub 80k mid-engined car market largely* to itself. ;)

Should be reliable with Toyota and AMG donks available. Not sure about the rest of it!

Another interesting collaboration is the new Rimac/Bugatti/Porsche group which could be a bit tasty.

I don't know much about these things, but I have read several times that one of the reliable P-brand models had a habit of savaging its own cylinder liners, entailing 20k of rebuild costs.

I don't know much about these things, but I have read several times that one of the reliable P-brand models had a habit of savaging its own cylinder liners, entailing 20k of rebuild costs.

An engine that they stopped fitting into cars about 12 years ago had a few issues. Harlech will rebuild for £11k or thereabouts, good enough for many years of fun after that. These days that engine is a negotiating tool.

An engine that they stopped fitting into cars about 12 years ago had a few issues. Harlech will rebuild for £11k or thereabouts, good enough for many years of fun after that. These days that engine is a negotiating tool.

Ah, only 11 grand. I'd feel a lot better about that, if it were mine!

I'm inclined to be a bit cynical about the famed reliability of German cars. Apart from the fact that it anyway ain't quite what it used to be, I had one of those clever Golf's with a 1.4 twin charger engine that self-destructed, with clockwork precision at exactly 57,570 miles.

I'm inclined to be a bit cynical about the famed reliability of German cars. Apart from the fact that it anyway ain't quite what it used to be, I had one of those clever Golf's with a 1.4 twin charger engine that self-destructed, with clockwork precision at exactly 57,570 miles.

The thing is, by concentrating on the few minor shortcomings of the 911, a cynic is missing out on a great experience. And probably abusing apostrophes :)

Hope it lives up to the already amazing (after just 24 hours) media hype...

A certain brand starting with P has had that sub £80k mid-engined car market nearly to themselves for too long.

DSC07090.jpg
Looks like a baby McLaren, and no doubt drives every bit as well in any location you’d realistically be able to use it… fabulous.

Shame I don’t have a spare £80k.

I agree it ain't what it used to be. I have a theory that the decline in engineering excellence began with the retirement of the generation trained by former Nazis, plus the takeover by "styling" and "marketing" wizards. And the only-turbo trend that makes everything more fragile.

Best you only buy a car from a maker who never makes a mistake in that case. You know, the sort of maker whose cars are as bland as a dishwasher :)

Its 400kg heavier than an MX5, more an Evora replacement than an Elise or Exige replacement, electric seats, electric mirrors, a KEF stereo (has anyone ever been able to hear the radio in a Lotus?!) storage, cup holders, it might even have carpet?! hmmm...it's virtually

maybe there's a lighter simpler car in the pipeline, i doubt it because they'd been making that car for the last 25 years...

It's a good start though :)

Its 400kg heavier than an MX5, more an Evora replacement than an Elise or Exige replacement, electric seats, electric mirrors, a KEF stereo (has anyone ever been able to hear the radio in a Lotus?!) storage, cup holders hmmm...

maybe there's a lighter simpler car in the pipeline, i doubt it.
I have a supercharged VX220 which I guarantee is at least as loud as most Loti (uses). I can hear my radio.

There's not much profit in lightweight, stripped out cars. Or, when a maker shows us one, it's more expensive!

Its 400kg heavier than an MX5, more an Evora replacement than an Elise or Exige replacement, electric seats, electric mirrors, a KEF stereo (has anyone ever been able to hear the radio in a Lotus?!) storage, cup holders, it might even have carpet?! hmmm...it's virtually

maybe there's a lighter simpler car in the pipeline, i doubt it because they'd been making that car for the last 25 years...

It's a good start though :)
If you want a lightweight sports car buy something like a caterham 7. But most people don't, they want electric seats, stereo, etc.

If you want a lightweight sports car buy something like a caterham 7. But most people don't, they want electric seats, stereo, etc.

Yes i understand the car is aimed a different type of customer so the "brand" can grow, just thought it might be a bit lighter, i knew it was based on the Evora with a wider track.
Lotus are making an SUV too. Everything from Lotus will be electric from now on so this will be their last petrol car.

advertisement

Back