advertisement

Denafrips Ares II thoughts

the resistance values can be manufactured to such precise values iam guessing that this is the reason that these dacs seem to be good to listen

In America the Schiit Bifrost 2 is $699, plus it has a five-year warranty, is made in America, has brilliant customer support, offers a 15 day home trial, and is designed by one of the world’s legendary digital audio engineers (Mike Moffat). All of that carries a lot of weight for me when considering a DAC upgrade.

I wish Schitt did the 15 day home trial over here, as I would have probably bought one by now. I was close with a Yggdrasil Analog 2, but the support in the UK is no where near the level of the US for these.

The cost of the Gaia does not sound like money well spend to me.

£1900 is a lot of money however and relative to other products I’ve come across over the years the GAIA DDC offers superb VFM. The GAIA DDC’s ability to offer super clean digital streams to DAC’s and the subsequent increase in the performance of DAC’s is fabulous. The GAIA DDC should be priced at around £4K instead.

The GAIA DDC is along the lines of the audio equivalent of the Hubble telescope fix for digital signals feeding DAC's :) The GAIA DDC enables DAC's to breathe freely and the result is that everything simply snaps into focus :cool:

I think the GAIA DDC should be seriously considered a pre requisite for good quality DAC's :)

£1900 is a lot of money however and relative to other products I’ve come across over the years the GAIA DDC offers superb VFM. The GAIA DDC’s ability to offer super clean digital streams to DAC’s and the subsequent increase in the performance of DAC’s is fabulous. The GAIA DDC should be priced at around £4K instead.

The GAIA DDC is along the lines of the audio equivalent of the Hubble telescope fix for digital signals feeding DAC's :) The GAIA DDC enables DAC's to breathe freely and the result is that everything simply snaps into focus :cool:

I think the GAIA DDC should be seriously considered a pre requisite for good quality DAC's :)

It's £1450 delivered including VAT and Duty, if you buy it direct from Denafrips, the 'Hermes' is a grand.

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-gaia

Which at that price , seems reasonable in comparison with the price of the Innuos Phoenix. Although the Innuos has a better looking case, but at a grand cheaper, I'll take the GAIA's fugly box and hide it.

But stating something 'should be £4k', I call BS on that one :)

The GAIA DDC should be priced at around £4K instead.

Now it sounds a bit to much like sales sales tactics. I am not convinced.
I only use USB input which have the benefit of using the clock in the DAC which COAX, I2S etc does not. And for the price of a GAIA I can get for instance a LINK Streamer at £600 + 10 years of Roon subscript and I doubt that a DDC would improve the USB input significantly if at all.

A few months ago I was all for the Venus II and then I came across Godensound's Holo Audio May review. Which set me on a path towards the May.... I'd love to know how you find the May DAC and how you decided on this,... What other DACs did you consider. I would value your review of the May.... as a fellow FDAC sponsor, I feel we have similar tastes and requirements.
The May replaces a Teak NT-505 which is a great product by the way but not up to the rest of my system (Gryphon Diablo 300 Integrated, Raidho XT-5 speakers)
one requirement was my new DAC should be discreate design. Goldensound's review was that tipped me over to get the May. And the good USB implementation was also a pro so no DDC is required ;) I was also considering the Mola Mola's Tambaqui DAC, which also has the benefit of being RoonReady but considerable more expensive. It will be interesting to compare the May DAC to FDAC.

The May replaces a Teak NT-505 which is a great product by the way but not up to the rest of my system (Gryphon Diablo 300 Integrated, Raidho XT-5 speakers)
one requirement was my new DAC should be discreate design. Goldensound's review was that tipped me over to get the May. And the good USB implementation was also a pro so no DDC is required ;) I was also considering the Mola Mola's Tambaqui DAC, which also has the benefit of being RoonReady but considerable more expensive. It will be interesting to compare the May DAC to FDAC.

Heckyman has actually tried it with a May and said there was an improvement, he didnt just assume. but it could have been due to using a Mac Mini instead of a streamer.

For me, i feel assumptions generate pre-disposed bias much of the time. I might take the plunge for a Hermes unit direct from Denafrips as the cost would be fairly retrievable selling as used. I cant judge till ive tried it personally.

The Link streamer isnt that good without the adjoining Power supply, so the cost is more. Had one of those before. I would love a Mola Mola too but its just pricey in the end even when on the used market then they rarely come up.

It will be interesting to compare the May DAC to FDAC.
Hahahahaha.... don't get your hopes up, FDAC will probably never happen. And I say this as a long-time supporter (who has given up on the whole thing).

In any case, I seriously doubt it would end up being as good as the new generation of DACs; maybe if it had come out when originally promised, but now? Nah.

Heckyman has actually tried it with a May and said there was an improvement, he didnt just assume. but it could have been due to using a Mac Mini instead of a streamer.

For me, i feel assumptions generate pre-disposed bias much of the time. I might take the plunge for a Hermes unit direct from Denafrips as the cost would be fairly retrievable selling as used. I cant judge till ive tried it personally.

The Link streamer isnt that good without the adjoining Power supply, so the cost is more. Had one of those before. I would love a Mola Mola too but its just pricey in the end even when on the used market then they rarely come up.
Yes finding a used Mola Mola is almost impossible:( But it is still on my list of DAC's I want to try.
I use a HDPlex LPSU which I was not using anymore with my MiniStramer("The Link").

Good to see another May user on the thread!

If any DAC shouldn’t need a DDC, it would be the May. And I agree, it doesn’t “need” one. But if you just happen to have a very good DDC lying around like I did, you might still find you slightly prefer “with” rather than “without”. Depends on source, cables, rest of system, ears etc.

BTW, as someone mentioned Allo, I had USBridge sig + Digione sig and a selection of LPSUs (Shanti, DC3 with upgrades, Ciunas supercap ps, various batteries).

With USBridge, I found the Denafrips Iris DDC was better than the Digione Sig + PSU (and actually cheaper considering the PSU). The Hermes was slightly better than the Iris.

Stock Macmini M1 was quite a bit better than USBridge with all the bag of tricks, And much better than 2012 Macmini or 2011 MacBook Pro.

I have an Innous Zenith coming next week on demo from a dealer.

So will be using that into the Aqua La Voce S3, into Prima Luna Evo400. With comparisons to my Naim ND5 XS2, which is currently the best network transport I have used, out of many.

If @Musicraft want to offer me a demo of the DDC, that would be well received, and I'll be very honest about what it does in the setup.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have everything connected to a IsoTech EVO3 Syncro DC Blocker and EVO3 Sigmas power cleaner. Except my amplifier.

That's a really beautiful HiFi system you have there (I'm happily jealous). The May also has the classy look to match it. I presume you find it lives up to its promises and that it's really bringing out the best from the rest of your very interesting system? I'm pretty certain the FDAC (if it happens) won't look as good as the May, but let's hope it's SQ is not too far away. FDAC vs May will be an amazing contest to hear about....when/if the time arrives please do it! I wonder if the Detox circuit will do some of the work of an external DDC.

That's a really beautiful HiFi system you have there (I'm happily jealous). The May also has the classy look to match it. I presume you find it lives up to its promises and that it's really bringing out the best from the rest of your very interesting system? I'm pretty certain the FDAC (if it happens) won't look as good as the May, but let's hope it's SQ is not too far away. FDAC vs May will be an amazing contest to hear about....when/if the time arrives please do it! I wonder if the Detox circuit will do some of the work of an external DDC.

You still believe it will happen?

Just come across the latest review of Denafrips Terminator DAC :cool:

The Absolute Sound https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/denafrips-terminator-dac

"True to its name, the Terminator eliminated all the other DACs in my collection from serious competition. It is more dynamic and revealing than any DAC I know of at even twice its asking price. It’s fair to say that the Denafrips Terminator offers compelling musical reproduction of both PCM and DSD digital data at an attractive price point. The fact that its analogue output is direct and unbuffered, minus the sonic signature of either a solid-state or tube output stage, makes for a neutral sonic presentation. It is up to the end user to spice up the sound to his liking. A tube preamp worked well for me and may for you, if like me you’re after a vivid and dynamic midrange. A true reference and my favourite DAC for now."

I'll be back :)

advertisement

Back