advertisement

Rega RP6 twisted tonearm

I find it hard to believe a deck could leave the factory with an arm that off. It's not going to pass any production test. A slight error maybe but that arm is way out.

I don't either really...the whole 'dealer' story sounds a bit dodgy, but then the same it's poking around in the fog and bordering the unfair easily.

I think possibly you need to count in a bit of tolerance with wordchoice due the language barrier,
I don't receive Mikhail as hostile minded towards Rega, probably meant 'solving the issue'
You're doing a sterling job in help though, exceptional, no question.
absolutely right!

As an Apple victim you need all the help you can get. Will you be buying the new eye-meltingly expensive display that doesn't even come with a stand?

No but he won't be having to use a virus infected computer either... unlike you!

I find it hard to believe a deck could leave the factory with an arm that off. It's not going to pass any production test. A slight error maybe but that arm is way out.

If every deck is fully inspected before being boxed then it's difficult to see how something that obvious could have got through the net.

If every deck is fully inspected before being boxed then it's difficult to see how something that obvious could have got through the net.

It's possible, just not all that likely. It would probably have to be missed at several different points but these things can happen. I've heard of quality control issues on Linn and Naim products so it can and does happen.

To me the question mark is over there being a quality control issue on a deck that also suffers an accident and has a supplying dealer who doesn't want to help.

Tell me that one of these fellows wouldn't have spotted this from across the room.

And, I suspect that, as Mikhail had noticed this promptly after getting his deck back with new Exact fitted, he would certainly have noticed it just as easily sometime well before the unfortunate dusting incident. I mean, just look a that first picture in post #1; I'd have spotted that before I had the polybag off.

The biggest tell here will be whether the Exact was factory fitted or no.

RP3-RP6-PRODUCTION.jpg

Tell me that one of these fellows wouldn't have spotted this from across the room.

It can happen. I'm not saying that it did, but it can. Nobody has perfect quality control, because it relies on humans and humans have off days, get lazy or make mistakes.

My Linn Ekos 2 headshell is also off. Not as bad as the Rega in this thread but still unacceptable. How come it took me 10 years to notice it? Well, most of us assume that these manufacturers know what they are doing (big mistake) and don't go looking for problems. I'll have to live with mine as Linn don't offer a lifetime warranty and they don replace Ekos 2 armtubes.

How come it took me 10 years to notice it? Well, most of us assume that these manufacturers know what they are doing..

Exactly. When I could not get a 2M Black to align properly on my deck I checked the azimuth and found it slightly off. With no adjustment provided on Rega decks, or on most decks actually, I shimmed under the arm base.

I mentioned this to Paul Darwin and they sorted it out free of charge.

I suspect a huge number of people are using decks that are out and they do not know.

Exactly. When I could not get a 2M Black to align properly on my deck I checked the azimuth and found it slightly off. With no adjustment provided on Rega decks, or on most decks actually, I shimmed under the arm base.

I mentioned this to Paul Darwin and they sorted it out free of charge.

I suspect a huge number of people are using decks that are out and they do not know.
And that's why a universal headshell with azimuth adjustment was such a good idea!

My Linn Ekos 2 headshell is also off. Not as bad as the Rega in this thread but still unacceptable. How come it took me 10 years to notice it? Well, most of us assume that these manufacturers know what they are doing (big mistake) and don't go looking for problems. I'll have to live with mine as Linn don't offer a lifetime warranty and they don replace Ekos 2 armtubes.
If your deck happens to have the standard chassis/wooden armboard, it would be worth checking that the board to chassis holes aren't mounded.

Not that the Ekos 2 can't be off, but anything other than the arm pillar being at a perfect right angle to the chassis will affect azimuth.

Last edited:
And that's why a universal headshell with azimuth adjustment was such a good idea!

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but sonically, I think a fixed headshell has something going for it and any azimuth error you might have should be easy enough to deal with I other ways.

Not that the Ekos 2 can't be off, but anything other than the arm pillar being at a perfect right angle to the chassis will affect azimuth.

Good point. If I found an azimuth error on a Ekos my first assumption would be that I was the deck, not the arm.

advertisement

Back