advertisement

Rega RP6 twisted tonearm

If the bubble does not move left or right as the arm crosses the record then it has to be the arm itself and not the arm-pillar or the deck.

Somewhere upthread, there was a suggestion to try to "straighten" the armtube.

If this was a ductile aluminum alloy - 6061 or similar, this could work.

However, Rega armtubes are castings, and even the best, like A357, have a very short ultimate elongation.

The expectation is that this attempt will result in two armtubes.

I'd even go as far to say it will break.

The metallurgy experts though seem to think you can bend alloy cast back and forth as
long as you want until you have it in the right spot,
so we shall remain silent.

And more on topic..I think we're as far the armtube is likely not the reason,
but something in the bearing base...some axis that's bent or wasn't straight at least.
Mr.Holmes is at it already.. :)

I'd even go as far to say it will break.

The metallurgy experts though seem to think you can bend alloy cast back and forth as
long as you want until you have it in the right spot,
so we shall remain silent.

And more on topic..I think we're as far the armtube is likely not the reason,
but something in the bearing base...some axis that's bent or wasn't straight at least.
Mr.Holmes is at it already.. :)
Perhaps you can twist it at high temperature. But at RT, with available elongation at ~1%, there is just not enough ductility to impart meaningful permanent deformation safely.

I recall seeing a thread on some forum, probably Hoffman, where the owner was convinced the headshell on his RB300 was twisted, which could only have happened during the manufacturing process. Think at least one other person may have joined the said thread having experienced similar issues. Unfortunately I can't remember the outcome.

I recall seeing a thread on some forum, probably Hoffman, where the owner was convinced the headshell on his RB300 was twisted, which could only have happened during the manufacturing process.

It is possible. If the casting is removed from the mould too quickly it could move before it cools.

To be honest, there are so many places an azimuth error could occur on a turntable. Very few people bother to check but I reckon that a lot of people have decks that are out and they don't know about it. This one was spotted because it's out a lot but a slight deviation is easy to miss.

I recall seeing a thread on some forum, probably Hoffman, where the owner was convinced the headshell on his RB300 was twisted, which could only have happened during the manufacturing process. Think at least one other person may have joined the said thread having experienced similar issues. Unfortunately I can't remember the outcome.

Would be very interesting if possibly the OP of the Hoffman thread also came from Russia.
I admit it's very unlikely, but not entirely impossible the same..especially when you have a dealer that according to Mikhail appears to have kind of a 'customers interest's last' philosophy..

Would be very interesting if possibly the OP of the Hoffman thread also came from Russia.
I admit it's very unlikely, but not entirely impossible the same..especially when you have a dealer that according to Mikhail appears to have kind of a 'customers interest's last' philosophy..

I will report here the results of my dispute with Rega. I am insisting on sending my tonearm to England to exclude an unfair expertise here in Moscow.

It was a long time ago but I think he was from the US. I'm just saying what I remember from the thread. Mistakes do happen and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there was a problem when the said arm was cast, as Mr Pig suggested may have happened.

Mikhail, I think the use of the word "dispute" is unfair, all we have done thus far is to try and find a solution for you, no dispute whatsoever, as you know we have contacted our partners in Russia this morning in an effort to help and bring about a satisfactory outcome for you.

Mistakes do happen and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there was a problem when the said arm was cast, as Mr Pig suggested may have happened.

I find it hard to believe a deck could leave the factory with an arm that off. It's not going to pass any production test. A slight error maybe but that arm is way out.

Mikhail, I think the use of the word "dispute" is unfair, all we have done thus far is to try and find a solution for you, no dispute whatsoever, as you know we have contacted our partners in Russia this morning in an effort to help and bring about a satisfactory outcome for you.

I think possibly you need to count in a bit of tolerance with wordchoice due the language barrier,
I don't receive Mikhail as hostile minded towards Rega, probably meant 'solving the issue'
You're doing a sterling job in help though, exceptional, no question.

advertisement

Back