advertisement

Reliable "cloud" backup for at least 10To of data

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
With some 2.5To of music and 7.5To of DVDs to back up I was wondering about remote storage.

Anyone have suggestions for a reliable and not exorbitantly priced service provider?

I found pricing info a little thin on the ground...

The cheapest solution now is to buy few BIG external hd's (WD or Seagate) and copy the data on it. I have 5TB music and 3TB movies on mulitple hds at home and at work.
One backup is no backup. Any harddisk (new or old) can crash any time.

I back up my music, photos and documents etc to Mega.nz. They have a 16TB plan for €299 / year. https://mega.nz/pro It's probably not the cheapest but it works well for me. I look at it as insurance - I pay to insure my car, house, bikes etc so why not data too?
As mentioned above uploading that much data will take a long time but you only have to do it once.

The cheapest solution now is to buy few BIG external hd's (WD or Seagate) and copy the data on it. I have 5TB music and 3TB movies on mulitple hds at home and at work.
One backup is no backup. Any harddisk (new or old) can crash any time.

It would be sensible to follow the 3-2-1 rule. 3 copies of your data, on at least 2 different media with 1 copy off site. I am planning to keep one external HDD in my garage, I have ordered a waterproof storage box and am waiting for it to arrive. The garage is detached from the house so if the house was affected by fire then the data should survive.

7TB music on a HDD, backed up on a NAS. Separate copies on HDD with a neighbour and another set with my brother. Short of a nuclear apocalypse I’m sorted. I’m not a fan of cloud storage and don’t see the need for it

Cloud services use enterprise class storage with inbuilt redundancy, managed swap outs, and are on the whole a lot more reliable than any consumer class HDD. Pick a company that you 'trust', one that you think will still be around in 10 years time or more and pay for peace of mind.

It depends what your view of Amazon is, but S3 Deep Glacier would be suitable for archiving a lot of data that you don't need to access very often.
S3 Glacier Deep Archive - For long-term data archiving that is accessed once or twice in a year and can be restored within 12 hours
$0.0018 per GB/month

10TB would cost about $18 per month.

I use Backblaze to hold an offline backup of my video, audio and Time Machine images. In total it’s about 6 TB, works without trouble (this is on a Mac). I also have a local copy on a NAS because it takes a while to restore a dead drive over the ‘net.

I've been using iDrive for a few years now and never had a problem with them. The initial upload takes forever but after that, any addition of photos etc. to the chosen folders, is automated and uploaded however you schedule it. You can also add a NAS drive to back up locally at the same time too. I have two of my computers and my daughter's laptop connected to it. No complaints at all with the service.

I am also using IDrive, after having a bit of a falling out with Backblaze when I changed my mobile number in a hurry and it kyboshed my 2FA. No complaints with IDrive so far (the fact that they don’t do 2FA was actually a clincher for me!). I’ve had a couple of issues and they’ve taken them seriously, both solved after a session with their dev folk.

1Files over 4GB require manual selection 2Files over 1TB in size are not backed up by default and require manual selection 310GB Limit 4United States Only 5SMS Only 6Windows Only
I'm using Backblaze, and I'm in the UK, so (4) is incorrect.

advertisement

Back