advertisement

Valve preamps … where to start

Oh some nice suggestions here thanks. Will do some research and May have to sell some old kit that is boxed away …

yes prices gone up a lot now calorgas for them
Yeah I was trying to work out how long ago I had mine, probably 8+ years, doesn't time fly! Mine was only £200 mint from ebay at the time, but looked just now and the last one sold for twice that.
Tidy little things though, and nice to own.

Oh some nice suggestions here thanks. Will do some research and May have to sell some old kit that is boxed away …

Another vote for the Copland CTA 301 and keep an eye out for Conrad Johnson PV series valve preamps, there was one recently forsale at £650 from a second hand dealer.

Trancendent Sound Grounded Grid.
Fairly close to neutral with just a bit of valve magic/colouration.

I’m listening to mine atm with my NCC300s. I have another another in the upstairs system. I did have a Croft at one point but I couldn’t get on with it.

Another vote for the Copland CTA 301 and keep an eye out for Conrad Johnson PV series valve preamps, there was one recently forsale at £650 from a second hand dealer.
+1 for Conrad Johnson, sweet sounding pre and clever design with high quality parts that are built to last a lifetime.
Very easy to service as well.

my vote would go to Croft. his pres sound superb regardless of age (I have two), allow for later upgrades, up to and including a separate PSU, if desired (I did).

Thanks again, some great options to explore. Out of interest does anyone know if I’ll have any issues with the input sensitivity of a quad 606 (0.5v)?

Thanks again, some great options to explore. Out of interest does anyone know if I’ll have any issues with the input sensitivity of a quad 606 (0.5v)?
Yes you will. Most of the croft pre amps have quite high output.

It’s going back to 2007 or so, but my Croft Micro II cost £185 with purchase price, direct shipping to Glenn, service work and then shipping to me in Dublin. Any of the valve regulated items, if unserviced, will certainly be performing below par by now (which is why his new stuff uses solid state regulation, even if it doesn’t sound as good…a contentious statement, of course :)).

For an amp with that sensitivity you will need a pre-amp with very low gain, preferably no gain. This is normally referred to as a buffer stage. Valve wise, it's just a cathode follower stage. It produces no gain but has a low impedance output. If you use a preamp with gain you will almost certainly need to use some in line attenuators to give you a useable range on the volume control as well as a low noise threshold.

advertisement

Back