advertisement

Bosch has a lot to answer for….

The first spin off involving Titus Welliver as Bosch in his new PI role starts filming next month!

Having read pretty much all of the Bosch books, it was a bit disturbing how they managed to mash together story lines across a number of different books (and of course change things quite a bit). The books were set much earlier time-wise - before the widespread introduction of mobiles. Interesting to 'see' them having to find a phone box to check back with the station.

Having read pretty much all of the Bosch books, it was a bit disturbing how they managed to mash together story lines across a number of different books (and of course change things quite a bit). The books were set much earlier time-wise - before the widespread introduction of mobiles. Interesting to 'see' them having to find a phone box to check back with the station.
Have been on a video chat thing with both the author and actor, and the mashing was done with his (Connelly’s) involvement and approval, as it were…

Will have to catch up on Bosch - it's solid rather than trying to knock 'The Wire' off its perch but enjoyable nonetheless and I've discovered a few excellent artists and tracks by watching it.

Did the same with Rankin’s Rebus and Robinson’s Inspector Banks.

IIRC, the Bosch series was intended as 'police procedural drama'.

You lot should consider yourselves' lucky that it wasn't more closely patterned after 'Dragnet'!

Loved the books. Usually it means one is disturbed by everything that's not excactly as in the books. This time it was also the 'look and feel' of it that was very far from how I interpreted the books, I think the Mickey Haller movie 'Lincoln Lawyer' was much better in this respect. So, I didn't watch Bosch.

Loved the books. Usually it means one is disturbed by everything that's not excactly as in the books. This time it was also the 'look and feel' of it that was very far from how I interpreted the books, I think the Mickey Haller movie 'Lincoln Lawyer' was much better in this respect. So, I didn't watch Bosch.
I loved the books, too, so had to check out the Bosch series on TV. The stories in a blender was a bit disconcerting at first, but eventually I decided to just let go of my expectations and enjoy the ride.

Speaking of the books, I read 'Concrete Blond' whilst on the beach at a West Indies resort hotel. There was a young American couple staying at the same time and the wife/gf liked to show off her posh store bought breasts at the pool-side fresh water shower at exactly 3PM every afternoon. Coincidentally, this also happened to coincided with my post-beach pool-side happy hour. Somehow, I managed to get the same lounge chair in the shade every afternoon. As it was a family oriented resort, no one else was so gauche as to come off the beach without a cover-up on, even the Germans(!), so this über-narcissistic blond sort of, er...stuck out from the crowd. As bonus, the then wife never quite cottoned on. Good times, and a good read!

P.S. After a day or two, I started to notice the same other married blokes 'reading' round the pool at the same time. In my own mind, I decided to call us the 'Creepy Booby Book Club' (try it, it's difficult to say out loud).:D

P.P.S. BTW, I did hear Ohm Walsh 'speakers back in the late '70s. The soundfield from these is what makes like Larson, Shahinian, (dare I say Bose?), etc. can only aspire to. Back then, the closest thing to come to these in this respect were the B.I.C. SoundSpan series which a mate of a mate has owned the largest model of (TPR-400?) for decades; conventional drivers in an unconventional arrangement...

B.I.C. SoundSpan TPR-200:
554157-85393049-ultrarare_bic_soundspan_tpr200_omnidirectional_speakers.jpg

Last edited:
I loved the books, too, so had to check out the Bosch series on TV. The stories in a blender was a bit disconcerting at first, but eventually I decided to just let go of my expectations and enjoy the ride.

Speaking of the books, I read 'Concrete Blond' whilst on the beach at a West Indies resort hotel. There was a young American couple staying at the same time and the wife/gf liked to show off her posh store bought breasts at the pool-side fresh water shower at exactly 3PM every afternoon. Coincidentally, this also happened to coincided with my post-beach pool-side happy hour. Somehow, I managed to get the same lounge chair in the shade every afternoon. As it was a family oriented resort, no one else was so gauche as to come off the beach without a cover-up on, even the Germans(!), so this über-narcissistic blond sort of, er...stuck out from the crowd. As bonus, the then wife never quite cottoned on. Good times, and a good read!

P.S. After a day or two, I started to notice the same other married blokes 'reading' round the pool at the same time. In my own mind, I decided to call us the 'Creepy Booby Book Club' (try it, it's difficult to say out loud).:D

P.P.S. BTW, I did hear Ohm Walsh 'speakers back in the late '70s. The soundfield from these is what makes like Larson, Shahinian, (dare I say Bose?), etc. can only aspire to. Back then, the closest thing to come to these in this respect were the B.I.C. SoundSpan series which a mate of a mate has owned the largest model of (TPR-400?) for decades; conventional drivers in an unconventional arrangement...

B.I.C. SoundSpan TPR-200:
554157-85393049-ultrarare_bic_soundspan_tpr200_omnidirectional_speakers.jpg

'Concrete Blonde' was the first I read. Reread it recently and it was really very good!

Remember the good old days when more or less every girl was topless at the beach here in Sweden...

Maybe the TV-makers will mix Connelly with Fleming and call it 'Concrete Bond'. Sorry, not very funny.

Maybe the TV-makers will mix Connelly with Fleming and call it 'Concrete Bond'. Sorry, not very funny.
No, No, that's right up my sardonic alley!

But why stop there when we can mix Fleming with (Margaret) Mitchell?

'Bond with the Wind'?

MM: 'Oh, James, you just farted!'
JB: 'Frankly, Moneypenny, I don't give a damn!'
[scene ends]

Get numerous notices from Amazon that I'm not using a prime benefit (TV) -guess the Bosch series might finally motivate me to plug the flat panel into the internet (OTOH-just how many more cooking shows can SWMBO'd watch?). Sold Ohm F's back in the day - required powerful amps-but if properly set up /right room - a simply mile wide off angle listening "window" - have never heard another speaker come even close. Guy in Chicago ,Ill. area rebuilds/refurbishes them (foam surrounds rot of course). Not a rock n roll animal speaker -and even some classical pieces could over-strain it - but probably about perfect for Bosh's jazz taste.

advertisement

Back