advertisement

Audiolab M-DAC+

I tripped up, fell over and accidentally bought one yesterday.

I'm extremely pleased with how it cleans up and separates tracks which I previously thought were rather congested...

:D
Glad you are pleased. Did you compare it to anything else?

Glad you are pleased. Did you compare it to anything else?

Hi Darren,
I only compared it to my previous DAC; a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2i.

I feel it is fair to say that things have moved on a bit.

At last night's Music Evening, the concensus was that there is massively increased clarity; separation of instruments and voices on a much larger sound-stage.

One of my friends is a bass head and although he loved the mid-range, he felt that a Sub-woofer would bring some improvements.

I cannot fault Sevenoaks Sound and Vision Tunbridge Wells. They were friendly; efficient and helpful.

One happy customer.

I've just got to work out how to make my telephone work with it. Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

The M DAC+ is a very good DAC for the money, used to have one before changing to an RME ADI2
Mac

Help....would appreaciate a view on whether the M Dac+ would prove to be a step improvement on the Audiolab 8000cdq which is about 12 years old.
Very tempting...particularly the multiple inputs and the balanced outputs, assume it also acts as a preamp as the CDQ
System - Naim CD1 with dig out; Computer - flac hi res usb out; Audiolab 8000Cdq; ATC 100 acrive amps, and ATC 100s DIY
Just looked at both MDac and Cdq specs, hardly any difference in basic parametres, so pointless question perhaps, apologies

Last edited:
Help....would appreaciate a view on whether the M Dac+ would prove to be a step improvement on the Audiolab 8000cdq which is about 12 years old.
Very tempting...particularly the multiple inputs and the balanced outputs, assume it also acts as a preamp as the CDQ
System - Naim CD1 with dig out; Computer - flac hi res usb out; Audiolab 8000Cdq; ATC 100 acrive amps, and ATC 100s DIY
Just looked at both MDac and Cdq specs, hardly any difference in basic parametres, so pointless question perhaps, apologies

No worries. Must admit I never used it as a pre, but What HiFi rated it very highly
Mac

I'm still blown away by the difference this box has made to the 'system!

It's clarity, richness of sound and ability to reproduce complicated instruments has been noted by neighbours at a recent Music Evening.

Yesterday, someone with their own Recording Studio visited.

He was most complementary.

Anyone thinking about buying one? Just do it. You won't regret it!

do you mean 8200cdq? if so I am surprised but glad to hear it is still working, though I didnt realise they were that old

do you mean 8200cdq? if so I am surprised but glad to hear it is still working, though I didnt realise they were that old
I was sloppy, it is a 8200cdq, and after some backtracking we think it is about 10 years old. Son is just back on leave from China and he inherited the previous preamp, between us our best guess is about 10 years. So part of my motivation was replacing before it failed. The sensible approach is probably to wait until it fails and upgrade. Have never confessed this previously, the hi fi is usually only switched on about once every couple of weeks, as in going to a concert. More fequently in the past few months. But not high milage!! Perhaps a factor?
Considerable effort ( and cash) went into building the speakers, so many might think it is a waste, but I only buy adequate cables☺
Oops, a thread diversion.....

I was sloppy, it is a 8200cdq, and after some backtracking we think it is about 10 years old. Son is just back on leave from China and he inherited the previous preamp, between us our best guess is about 10 years. So part of my motivation was replacing before it failed. The sensible approach is probably to wait until it fails and upgrade. Have never confessed this previously, the hi fi is usually only switched on about once every couple of weeks, as in going to a concert. More fequently in the past few months. But not high milage!! Perhaps a factor?
Considerable effort ( and cash) went into building the speakers, so many might think it is a waste, but I only buy adequate cables☺
Oops, a thread diversion.....

ah that might explain why the 8200cdq is still working; I keep the top off mine and put a ex-pc cabinet fan above the front right as there is a stupid location for a large bank of closely packed capacitors and embedded in their midst some heatsinks barely 1mm away from them, that get hot .....with just some slats/holes top and bottom of case for ventilation!
Its for this reason I still keep the old 8000Q preamp that runs cool as a backup

It would be interesting to hear from other 8200cdq owners how long they have had theirs, how frequent they use and if it still working, or how long before it failed.

Не обновляйтесь до 1.026, прошивка мертвая, убивает звук. Если что-то пришло мне 1.023, кому нужно связываться со мной в личку. (Audiolab M DAC +)

Не обновляйтесь до 1.026, прошивка мертвая, убивает звук. Если что-то пришло мне 1.023, кому нужно связываться со мной в личку. (Audiolab M DAC +)
"Don't upgrade to 1.026, firmware is dead, kills sound.........."

advertisement

Back