advertisement

Recommended cheaper vintage SS Integrated Amps?

greg788

pfm Member
I've been pondering trying a vintage SS integrated amp for a while. Which brands *in general* aside from the obvious Sansui do you recommend, or specific models? Looking for that warm, mellow vintage sound I read about, which I know is very brand (or even down to model) specific

Three that I've found from a reputable vintage dealer are: Marantz 1070 (not recapped), Kenwood KA-3500 (recapped) and Pioneer SA-5800 (not recapped). Any thoughts on these? I know the Marantz 1070 is well liked but what about the other two?

Side question: should ca. 1970s amps be recapped? I'm getting different opinions on this but I would say yes given their age (electrolytics of this vintage aren't nearly as robust as current ones)

I take it Naim are not being considered?

They make a number of (now) vintage integrated in their time and can be recommended

Have a look at the Armstrong 600 series. I got one not long ago for buttons. Not done a comparison but probably better than the much lauded A&R A60 and I think they look cool.

I would worry about them being a fire risk if not serviced but I don't actually know if they are more likely to short out if unserviced. May also depend if you intent to leave them switched on when not listening.

not sure if arcam a75 or a85 fits the vintage bit but they do have a warm sound from 150 to 290 in price

The Marantz from your list will fit best the sound you are looking for.
It’s easy to do a full recap on these so not a huge expense.
A pioneer 8500-2 would be also nice to have.
I would also look at a Creek 4140 or something similar, best bang for the price !

dunno if classed as vintage but Denon PMA 250 the original one still sounds pretty good to my surprise

PMA 250 II is better, PMA 255's are apparently better again. I don't mind, the 250 II I got recently is bags of fun, and for £20 for the amp, a cd player (still needs me to fit a belt), a tape deck and a tuner I'm certainly not going to be crying over VFM!

IMHO topology etc should be the demarcation line for true vintage. Things change very slowly in analogue electronics and models from even say 1980 can be pretty much the same design wise as today's units... just with 40 years of use/wear on them now! For units with substantially different, "vintage design and techniques" used in them you need to be looking at pre 1975 at latest really.

Have a look at the Armstrong 600 series. I got one not long ago for buttons. Not done a comparison but probably better than the much lauded A&R A60 and I think they look cool.

I don't know about better than A60 but certainly in the same ballpark and unfairly ignored by most IMHO. The 625 receiver probably the one to have as the tuner section is really good.
They have a couple of well known "stock faults" which can make them unreliable but these are very easily put right and once done they are reliable.

I've been pondering trying a vintage SS integrated amp for a while. Which brands *in general* aside from the obvious Sansui do you recommend, or specific models? Looking for that warm, mellow vintage sound I read about, which I know is very brand (or even down to model) specific

Three that I've found from a reputable vintage dealer are: Marantz 1070 (not recapped), Kenwood KA-3500 (recapped) and Pioneer SA-5800 (not recapped). Any thoughts on these? I know the Marantz 1070 is well liked but what about the other two?

Side question: should ca. 1970s amps be recapped? I'm getting different opinions on this but I would say yes given their age (electrolytics of this vintage aren't nearly as robust as current ones)

In terms of longevity they are usually more robust than modern ones in fact! They are physically larger for their rating and have more electrolyte so it can take much longer for them to dry out.
Obviously after all this time they will be way past their best of course but this can in some cases be a part of the "warm vintage sound" ie the part worn caps tends to soften the sound, add colouration and warmth and reduce grip etc hence re-capping can transform them into something much more modern sounding with greater clarity, transparency, PRaT, and bass control etc but loose some of that "vintage sound" in the process... note can not will.

You missed out the obvious NAD, the one with the flying buttons.
I had the Sansui (217) and it’s caps finally went pop a couple of years ago.

Audio Innovations alto series 1 -- the black one, not the chrome one. For twice the money, Elektrocompaniet ECI-2

Anachronistic capacitor coupled output unit, not a million miles different from Quad 303 and Armstrong 600 series;)Not the most reliable of amps...

Later ones made as Richer Sounds special are to be avoided at all costs!

advertisement

Back