advertisement

Bosch has a lot to answer for….

JTC

PFM Villager...
(Not the maker of drills, but the TV series btw.)

Once again, SWMBO pipes up during an episode of Bosch, and says, “Why don’t you get nice speakers like those?”, referring to the (admittedly rather attractive looking) omni speakers he has in his TV apartment. Anyone know much about them? Any good? I’m feeling a touch of deja vu when I write this, and wonder if I’ve asked this before…

Anyway, no plans to shift on the Tannoys, but she has a point - they do look rather good, but possibly it’s the view of the city that would make any speaker ‘sound’ good. I digress…

If I had to shift on the Tannoys, I suspect it’d be to electrostatic speakers again - maybe newer Quads - but she doesn’t like the look of them much….

Ah well, better get back to work…

The Speakers are Ohm Walsh, can’t remember the model number. They are still made. It looks like a superb system with McIntosh valve amp and Marantz DD turntable.

I’ve not started watching the new series yet…

(Not the maker of drills, but the TV series btw.)

Once again, SWMBO pipes up during an episode of Bosch, and says, “Why don’t you get nice speakers like those?”, referring to the (admittedly rather attractive looking) omni speakers he has in his TV apartment. Anyone know much about them? Any good? I’m feeling a touch of deja vu when I write this, and wonder if I’ve asked this before…

Anyway, no plans to shift on the Tannoys, but she has a point - they do look rather good, but possibly it’s the view of the city that would make any speaker ‘sound’ good. I digress…

If I had to shift on the Tannoys, I suspect it’d be to electrostatic speakers again - maybe newer Quads - but she doesn’t like the look of them much….

Ah well, better get back to work…

Also see Dr Gregory House - he had a pair of Duevel speakers I just had to look up and have always wanted to have a listen to.

Finished the last season last night. I've looked up some of the jazz artists he has played through the course of the many series too.

Finished the last season last night. I've looked up some of the jazz artists he has played through the course of the many series too.
I was particularly taken with Blues for Lila, bu the Greg Foat Band in S7e3… beautiful track!

I think they're Ohm Walsh 4's? They're not that expensive (or at least, less than I expected), but very difficult to get in the UK. I fancied trying some myself as I'm a bit of a convert to Omni 'speakers but opted for a pair of Larsen 4.2 as they were easier to get hold of - and sound great. They don't look as stylish as those Ohms though.

Well, if it’s the sound rather than the looks then a company called German Physiks have developed the principle of the ohms walsh driver, call it Dick’s Dipole Driver and use it in all their speakers. In essence, the way they fill the room with sound is similar to MBL speakers; that is a realistic presentation with good imaging that fools you into thinking the musician is playing at the end of the room, and with a full orchestra it is as if the wall in front of you has disappeared and you look and hear onto the orchestra. Very clever maths and acoustics gives this.

Snags; not cheap and to be used to best effect they need to be well out into the room and away from walls, but worth the price and inconvenience. There are a few dealers dotted about but if not near to one, the factory is very helpful in arranging for you to have a listen.

Isn't there a similar looking American speaker with like a sock on the top portion? That is what I initially thought they were, can't for the life of me remember the maker.

Once again, SWMBO pipes up during an episode of Bosch, and says, “Why don’t you get nice speakers like those?”,

My wife says the exact same thing, we are halfway through the last series, great TV show. I have often wondered who makes these speakers thanks for the links.

advertisement

Back