advertisement

Your hifi reflections and pearls

Have a friend with experienced ears who will tell it like it is. No polite passivity.

Yesterday evening I had a good mate over who has a fantastic system, so I was hoping he would tell me that the new additions and room changes are positive.
We spent a full 3 hours playing c.d’s that he had brought along to test the system.

It couldn’t find anything to pick out as poor reproduction. He said it sounds amazing, which there is no way on this Earth he would say if it wasn’t true. This is essential, I respect his opinion.

He also brought over a substantial microscope for me to have a go with, it weighs a bit, so equate this to quality. This is good as I want to use a microscope, but ain’t keen on the outlay for 5 minutes a year if that..

This is good as I want to use a microscope, but ain’t keen on the outlay for 5 minutes a year if that..

You don’t need to pay much for a nice microscope. I bought a 1960s Olympus on eBay a couple of years back for £70 or so and it really is a lovely thing. It took a little refurbishment as the focussing grease had hardened and gone sticky, but I like doing that sort of thing so no issue beyond a bit of time. Traditional microscopes are out of fashion as everyone wants computer connectivity these days, so real bargains can be had. For cartridges just be sure it has enough downward movement on the viewing platform.

You don’t need to pay much for a nice microscope. I bought a 1960s Olympus on eBay a couple of years back for £70 or so and it really is a lovely thing. It took a little refurbishment as the focussing grease had hardened and gone sticky, but I like doing that sort of thing so no issue beyond a bit of time. Traditional microscopes are out of fashion as everyone wants computer connectivity these days, so real bargains can be had. For cartridges just be sure it has enough downward movement on the viewing platform.

He couldn’t find the mains lead/transformer so I need to see if I have anything that fits and is the right rating. I am not sure that I will buy one if this one works okay. He will let me use it when I have the itch. I have a few styli to look at, so will makes notes if it works well. Not today, I am sluggish.

Do people find a better, more revealing system will inherently make badly-recorded stuff (thin/compressed/bright) sound worse? Or at least create a greater divide to better material?

Rising tide lifts all ships, or just sinks the ones too-tightly moored?

I tried more neutral/clear-sounding amps that really elevated certain recordings but left others sounding pretty thread-bare. I shifted back to ones that, although adding more of their own character, made more music more enjoyable. Personal thing.

He couldn’t find the mains lead/transformer so I need to see if I have anything that fits and is the right rating. I am not sure that I will buy one if this one works okay. He will let me use it when I have the itch. I have a few styli to look at, so will makes notes if it works well. Not today, I am sluggish.

I assume the transformer is only for the under-platform lighting, which is useless for cartridge inspection. An LED bike light or two either side works superbly. I guess this is one thing that has improved beyond all recognition over the years, modern light sources are just way better, even a <£10 front bike light will beat very expensive vintage microscope lighting.

I assume the transformer is only for the under-platform lighting, which is useless for cartridge inspection. An LED bike light or two either side works superbly. I guess this is one thing that has improved beyond all recognition over the years, modern light sources are just way better, even a <£10 front bike light will beat very expensive vintage microscope lighting.

I don’t know, haven’t had a look yet. Thanks for the heads up, I have lots of torches and lamps to light the diamond up.

Had a quick go. Very effective. It isn’t a vintage microscope, will post in relevant thread.

Do people find a better, more revealing system will inherently make badly-recorded stuff (thin/compressed/bright) sound worse? Or at least create a greater divide to better material?

No and yes. As my system has become more revealing, everything has tended to sound better including bad recordings. Although the differences in recording quality have become more obvious.

I think it's that just that thinner sounding systems may give an illusion of more detail compared to a muddy sounding system at the same overall quality level. In such a case, "more detail" = "bad recordings sound horrible" because the thinness is compounded.

If you must get obsessive about something - don’t make it hifi.

Make it something healthy like cycling, or something useful like DIY / carpentry! Plenty of gadgets and tools there to waste years of your life researching and then spunking all your money on!

But at least you’ll end up super fit - or super useful around the house ;)

Decide what you want to buy, and why, before you enter the shop.

Be open minded.

Find a good dealer.

Home demo! ( Especially speakers.)

Research, research, research.

Do not believe all magazine reviews.

Go on audio forums like this one.

Or like l do sometimes listen to none of the above and buy impulsively, quite lucky not been stuffed yet......:)

Don’t start listening to the equipment.
Don’t go near a hifi magazine, shop or online resource if you’re otherwise content.
Go to more gigs (wear earplugs, punk!)
Get a life!

From Derek Worthington ‘ don’t buy more kit, buy records’

From me: follow bands and performers AND producers.

Don’t sell or get rid of anything.

Don’t worry the magic of internet auction sites will allow you get hold of those things you lust after but can’t afford yet (including AR3a loudspeakers, which I love)

If you must get obsessive about something - don’t make it hifi.

Do make it HiFi. It is fun and the rewards are pleasing.

If you are obsessive by nature, you will be obsessive about many things.

Like, ‘how to stack the dishwasher’ as an example.

I was obsessive about skateboarding and motorbikes, both of those have left me with various lifetime injuries.
So far the HiFi and record/c.d. collection haven’t hurt me in any physical sense.
(unless you count the backache, rare electric shock and dropping records on my bare toes by accident - it has happened a few times, always land ‘edge-on.’ Ouch. Oh, and the paper-cuts :()

- Best to wear shoes.

In terms of HiFi and records/c.d’s causing emotional anguish, and scarring the mind now and again, usually by simply not working as they should do - and always at the most inconvenient time, that is debatable. For example, the rights of passage threads about accidentally knocking the tip of off an expensive stylus are myriad. Emotional stuff.
I equate to that sense of frustration if I drop a record, all blame directly aimed at myself for being at twit. It doesn’t happen very often, but it does. Last time it happened I was lucky, not mark on the L.P, just a mental slap on my face for having stupid hands

- Don’t drop stuff.

Don't buy into the intelligent design trope about the evolution of the LP12- Linn will continue to use those crap hinges and you'll continue to be startled by the random crashes of the lid on your head or fingers as you cue up.
(FWIW- I'm a fan, I have two of them.)

My shifts sometimes preclude listening sessions.

Taking this time out means that I can really appreciate the music when I do get the time to listen to music.

It 'keeps things real' and enhances the experience! :)

advertisement

Back