advertisement

LK140 and LK85... what speakers?

Greyandy

pfm Member
Hi Hive-Mind,
A bit of Sunday afternoon pondering question for you all.

I have a LK140 running a pair of Saras (I'm pretty happy with the combination but thinking about an upgrade at some point as I'm looking for a bit more of... well everything!) but I have have an LK85 sat doing nothing.
Question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a new pair of speakers that I could use with the LK140and LK85 in a passive bi-amped configuration? Please let's not get into a conversations on front-ends! Currently an upgraded P3 with Ania cart but P8 with Apheta 3 is not too far away.
Listening room is small so something that works well near-field is a major consideration.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Fancy going the whole hog with Linn speakers and active cards? I am sure @linnfomaniac83 can advise.

Never really felt passive biamping brought much to the party, had Kef Ref 205 triamped but went back to big monoblocks after a while and didn’t feel like it was a backwards step.

Alternative speakers - ProAc Studio/Tablette - been happy with ProAc 115 on the end of a Wakonda/LK85.

Fancy going the whole hog with Linn speakers and active cards? I am sure @linnfomaniac83 can advise.

Never really felt passive biamping brought much to the party, had Kef Ref 205 triamped but went back to big monoblocks after a while and didn’t feel like it was a backwards step.

Alternative speakers - ProAc Studio/Tablette - been happy with ProAc 115 on the end of a Wakonda/LK85.
Have to disagree...just got a second Harmon Kardon PA2400 and am bi wire bi amping into JBL 4430s, there are substantial benefits IME and IMHO.

Have to disagree...just got a second Harmon Kardon PA2400 and am bi wire bi amping into JBL 4430s, there are substantial benefits IME and IMHO.
Aye loads of folk reckon it’s well worth it, tried it a few times with various amps/speakers over a couple decades and ended up going back to a single stereo or pair of monos. Active Bi/Tri amping different story for me and all imho.

Nothing wrong with the Saras, maybe sell the Linn 140 and 85 and try and get a better Linn amp, a Klout or 2250.

Don't bother bi-wiring, like Amber Audio above have tried it and always went back to a single stereo pair.

You don't say what pre amp you are using?

Lk280s are nice too and much cheaper than a Klout although Class A can't service them.

I've got passive Kans, Saras and Briks and the Saras seem to need the most power, especially if you want them to come alive or remain tuneful at lower volumes.

Yep, Katans and Ninkas are by far the best bang for buck Linn speakers and are fabulous in active mode!

Kabers or Ninkas would work well.
Kabers can’t work natively in active mode with LK85/140 and you’d need three… Kabers really need to be active to come alive. I do however have a pair with a tunebox and have additional power amps if the OP does fancy a pair!

Kabers can’t work natively in active mode with LK85/140 and you’d need three… Kabers really need to be active to come alive. I do however have a pair with a tunebox and have additional power amps if the OP does fancy a pair!

Heh, yes, I know. ;)

OP specifically asked about PASSIVE bi-amping; having heard Kabers passively biamped I think they'd be great for him. :)

And Kabers passive with an LK140 and an LK85 are TERRIFIC.

Heh, yes, I know. ;)

OP specifically asked about PASSIVE bi-amping; having heard Kabers passively biamped I think they'd be great for him. :)

Not a combination I’ve tried, I did try with LK100s a few years ago and found them underwhelming. I have LK85s, LK140s and Kabers but no passive crossovers, just the tunebox fitted with mono cards.

I actually prefer my active Ninkas anyway… hence the Kabers can be available if someone wants them.

Hi Hive-Mind,
A bit of Sunday afternoon pondering question for you all.

I have a LK140 running a pair of Saras (I'm pretty happy with the combination but thinking about an upgrade at some point as I'm looking for a bit more of... well everything!) but I have have an LK85 sat doing nothing.
Question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a new pair of speakers that I could use with the LK140and LK85 in a passive bi-amped configuration? Please let's not get into a conversations on front-ends! Currently an upgraded P3 with Ania cart but P8 with Apheta 3 is not too far away.
Listening room is small so something that works well near-field is a major consideration.

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Hi Andy, I drove some Katans in an Aktiv set up with 2 140’s, it was in a small, well furnished room and found them uninspiring at low spl’s. The sound got more involving as the volume increased but I had neighbours so they didn’t last. I did hear the ninkas in a similar set up and really enjoyed them. They had an openness and zest which was sadly lacking in the Katans, and didn’t need the extra volume to sound good.

If you’ve got biwiring terminals on your Sara’s then you’ve got Sara 9s. These are the easiest Sara to drive but still a relatively hard load.

I’d certainly try the bi amped setup and I’d be surprised if it wasn’t better.

Saras are mixed bag and are incredibly good at what they do well. If they suit you I doubt many other speakers could replace them.

Heh, yes, I know. ;)

Thanks for the info. So I can passive bi-amp Kabers with my 140 and 85 without any other bits of kit (apart from double the number of speaker cables of course...)?

advertisement

Back