advertisement

Washing Machine

Over the years I’ve had an Indesit, this was when the kids were in nappies so it had a lot of hard work lasted I think 8 years. Moved on to a Bosch a couple of times and Bosch & AEG dishwashers.
The last 6 years I’ve been using Miele for washer and dishwasher bought from John Lewis in Bluewater both of these machines excellent, washing is very good from both and extremely quiet.

Regards,

Martin

Our Miele is over 22 years old and still going strong. As I used to work abroad a lot and didn't want the family to have any issues while I was away
I did treat it to a new set of vibration absorbing dampers once but they probably weren't strictly required
I also checked the brushes at around 20 years old and they were still in good shape. Only problem I've had was with the "aquastop" filler hose but soon figured out how to replace that with a non "aquastop" one
I'd certainly buy another and our Miele dryer is still going strong at about 15 yrs old

eddie

I've bought exactly 3 washing machines in the last 28 years.
The first one was an Indesit that lasted 10 years before a new set of brushes was needed, then it got left behind as part of my fixtures when I sold the flat.
Next one was a Beko and it too gave me no trouble, except the whole motor had to come out to change the brushes, I mean who's idea was that? But it was a bit of a brute with clothing so after 10 years changed it for a Samsung. Now this I cannot fault, 5 year guarantee and if it didn't play a tune at the end of the wash you wouldn't even know it was on. I love these new motors. It has a huge drum which means you can make fewer washes, and yes, it can take hours. If I put a small load in it'll calibrate the size by cleverly measuring the inertia of the drum and changing the programme time and water usage accordingly. I'm quite impressed by it.

If I had to buy another dishwasher though it would be a Bosch.

Lots of good advice from everyone. Thanks very much. The AEG that I bought in 1994 was at the higher price range I recall and I paid that £499 with the hope that it would last - which it did. It was a good choice. It has lated 27 years after all. So, I think I will do the same again, and hope for the best. That's all anyone can do, I suppose. On another note, does anyone know what advice Which Magazine gives on the topic? I have not looked at Which Magazine for years and from what I recall it always seemed quite pedestrian and not really coming down one side or the other.

Oh man I got an AEG dishwasher recently what a total and utter piece of shit they should be ashamed. It was 700 quid as well, the door is so flimsy infact its all so flimsy if you pull on the door the whole machine comes with it. Sadly we made the decision to purchase from currys who themselves are a shower of shisters.

Our washing machine (miele) also went belly up for a number of reasons after 3 years, no where near the quality of the miele we had before and only a 2 year warranty! We have gone to a direct drive LG on the basis they are all conning bastards now so may as well save a few. Plus its a five year guarantee for 450. Touch wood its been fine.
At least if you buy a Miele they have their own engineers with electronic diagnosis equipment. The engineer from Miele who came to look at my daughter tumble drier (it turned out to be the dog bed in front of the inlet vent) said he had worked for Curries and he was much happier at Miele, much more training, better diagnostic equipment, less calls per day and better pay and conditions.
The construction of my Miele heat pump tumble drier (about 6 years old) had a sub frame with covers, the daughters was similar to cheaper driers with the panels supporting the drum bearings.
My Miele washer and drier (both 6 years old) have been reliable, i have changed the tumbler heat sensor brushes. They are a common fault.

Lots of good advice from everyone. Thanks very much. The AEG that I bought in 1994 was at the higher price range I recall and I paid that £499 with the hope that it would last - which it did. It was a good choice. It has lated 27 years after all.
I’m worried now. I bought my AEG in 1984 and I’m concerned it might be on borrowed time. The thing is, I know how to work it. I always press the same three buttons on the front (I have no idea what they do) and turn the knob to ‘3’ and it does the job. I suppose a new one will have microprocessors, digital displays and look like some kind of ersatz video game, just like my new and incomprehensible (to me) car.

At least if you buy a Miele they have their own engineers with electronic diagnosis equipment. The engineer from Miele who came to look at my daughter tumble drier (it turned out to be the dog bed in front of the inlet vent) said he had worked for Curries and he was much happier at Miele, much more training, better diagnostic equipment, less calls per day and better pay and conditions.
The construction of my Miele heat pump tumble drier (about 6 years old) had a sub frame with covers, the daughters was similar to cheaper driers with the panels supporting the drum bearings.
My Miele washer and drier (both 6 years old) have been reliable, i have changed the tumbler heat sensor brushes. They are a common fault.

There is no 'at least' if their sales tactic is, pay 250 and we will fix it, otherwise all bets are off because we removed the warranty we used to have. I am really disappointed with Miele, they used to be the very best out there.

At least if you buy a Miele they have their own engineers with electronic diagnosis equipment

they don't. We had a "Miele" engineer out to change the door seal on ours. All booked through Miele, but I note arrived in a plain white van. Seal changed etc, but a few days later, horrible screeching noise from job took 30 minutes the machine.

Second Miele technician arrives, asks how long the original took to do job....30 mins we said. He shook his head, and bemoaned the use of freelance contractors employed by Miele.....the original guy took 30 minutes on a job that should have taken over an hour, as it needed tests run..

Miele are using non Miele trained technicians

All I ask from Miele is that they keep a stock of parts for myself to be able to fix my appliances in 20 years.
I don’t trust anybody to repair my equipment.
This is appalling.

A Samsung from JLewis. It plays songs which are accompanied by coordinated flashing lights for gods sake! You can turn that off by pressing two completely unrelated buttons for three seconds apparently. I had to do a dummy run to set the tumbler loading and it just played this silly electronic tune to stop me getting bored for the two minutes it took…. I’m speechless with dispair.

A Samsung from JLewis. It plays songs which are accompanied by coordinated flashing lights for gods sake! You can turn that off by pressing two completely unrelated buttons for three seconds apparently. I had to do a dummy run to set the tumbler loading and it just played this silly electronic tune to stop me getting bored for the two minutes it took…. I’m speechless with dispair.
That drives me crazy. Every damned appliance you buy beeps, now they add fake music.

Mine sends a message to the phone when it has finished.

my wife tells me that is a handy feature. We have some items that need to be removed from the drum as soon as the cycle is finished, as it prevents major creases.... the alternative is remaining in earshot listening out for the motor to stop or the single beep.

My parents LG plays a little tune - mu mother uses it as part of her gentle fitness regime and does a little jig when she hears it

Our LG dishwasher plays a lovely little tune when it has finished. It also has a function where it can play a tune to a service engineer on the phone - who will then what the problem is. I was asked to this once and the message got through!

But.... I could not help but think.....If they have gone to that level of cleverness, why not just stick a voice synthesiser on it and say it out loud?

Still it beats stuff that just reports 'error 14' or the hopeless crap that comes up if your PC wants to report something ...

I suppose the next thing is that your Washing Machine will link to Alexa, who can then announce that it has finished - or throw up one of those coloured light patterns that it uses.

advertisement

Back