advertisement

Washing Machine

gordonscobie

pfm Member
My AEG washing machine (bought in 1994) has finally come to the end of its life. It has been a great machine and never failed once, untill now. So, I am looking for a replacement. It cost £499 when bought.

I have heard that AEG were bought over by Elecrolux and the quality has fallen since then, so will not be buying another AEG.

Not interested in any special features - wifi, apps, dosing, etc. and 7 or 8KG would suffice.

Only interested in reliability and clean clothes.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Gordon

I have a four year old AEG that has a hard life. It has been absolutely faultless…

(He says clutching hold of a large lump of wood)

Oh man I got an AEG dishwasher recently what a total and utter piece of shit they should be ashamed. It was 700 quid as well, the door is so flimsy infact its all so flimsy if you pull on the door the whole machine comes with it. Sadly we made the decision to purchase from currys who themselves are a shower of shisters.

Our washing machine (miele) also went belly up for a number of reasons after 3 years, no where near the quality of the miele we had before and only a 2 year warranty! We have gone to a direct drive LG on the basis they are all conning bastards now so may as well save a few. Plus its a five year guarantee for 450. Touch wood its been fine.

Zanussi here. They're all much of a muchness (avoiding Whirlpool product recalls) but lowering the spin speed is a good tip to get longer life

I’ve got more washing machines than you can shake a stick at. Get one with a fast spin speed and a big drum. The other thing to do is check the times of washes because some of them take an unfeasibly long time to get the job done.

Apart from that, there’s no reason not to get a cheap Logik one from Curry’s as far as I can see. Treat them as disposable items. I have them in my rental properties and the tenants don’t complain, and I recently got one for myself and I’m not unhappy.

Two routes, very cheap and budget to replace in 5 years (might get lucky and last way longer) or get a Miele, loadsamoney but great and 25yr life easy.

I would not bother with mid market machines, go low or go high there is no middle

Broadly i would agree - our Miele 8-years old never missed a bit. Cheapo brands before that lasted very little time (From memory Electrolux and Indecit) the Bosch lasted about 5 years before it self destructed and became uneconomic to repair. I am not sure but i dont think all Miele machines come with their long warranty anymore. I would advise checking the small print.

Agree with the Miele recommendation. You just need their basic model, they are built like tanks and go on and on. I seem to remember we got ours with some discount as it was an old model or something like that, as if there is some sort of seasonal fashion for washing machines! Anyhow, it would be the last washing machine you'll need to buy, since in 25 years time we'll be wearing disposable clothes made from tofu, or we'll be scavenging for food in a post apocalyptic world.

In 34 years, I've had 3.
First was a Hoover, lasted about 12 years.
Then got a Miele, which I expected to last a lot longer. After about 11 years, it had a fault that was looking like a repair would cost about 2/3 if the cost of a half decent Bosch, so opted to replace with a Bosch. The only real problem with Miele is if they break, you are pretty much tied to them to repair, as most independents don't repair them, so the labour/call out minimum charge is very high.
Had the current Bosch about 11 years. Only needed a pump in that time, which I fixed myself.

Cheaper Bosch (sub £700 or so) are now made in Spain or Turkey (mine is German), so not sure how good they are, compared to 11 years ago though.

If it was me, I would probably get another Bosch, and hope it lasts as well.

Or you could get a £400 machine and spend another £100 on a 5 year warranty?

We have gone to a direct drive LG

I've no idea if our 7 kg load LG is direct drive but it's lasted longer than any machine I've had; well over 10 years. It sounds as if a big end has gone and all bearings are shot, but it still works and washes. Can't last much longer; will prob. look at another LG, which I think is 'in the middle ground' price-wise.

You can't beat those Koreans; they have Seoul.

I've no idea if our 7 kg load LG is direct drive but it's lasted longer than any machine I've had; well over 10 years. It sounds as if a big end has gone and all bearings are shot, but it still works and washes. Can't last much longer; will prob. look at another LG, which I think is 'in the middle ground' price-wise.

Get a karousel fitted- darks will have more inky blackness and it’ll seem three layers of grime will have been removed. Make sure they fit new suspension grommets or it’ll dance all over the floor though.

I had an LG for 10 years until the door fell off. It was fine but I think that the Logik (the cheapest I could find) washes cleaner and certainly spins dryer, and takes a bigger load. The annoying thing about the LG was it had little pesky jingles to tell you it had finished or if there was a problem - seven dwarfs type tunes, you know the sort of thing. I was glad to see the back of them - the budget Logik is silent.

got a 10n year old aeg, i love them . although had a 5 year old aeg blow up 2 years ago and need replacement . bosch really good too . which mag generally says bosch are one of the best

Had an Indesit that lasted 9 years, though it was being held together by prayer and packing tape by the end. Replaced by a very quiet Bosch at a good price. 2 years in, no problems.

Agree with the Miele recommendation. You just need their basic model, they are built like tanks and go on and on. I seem to remember we got ours with some discount as it was an old model or something like that, as if there is some sort of seasonal fashion for washing machines! Anyhow, it would be the last washing machine you'll need to buy, since in 25 years time we'll be wearing disposable clothes made from tofu, or we'll be scavenging for food in a post apocalyptic world.

Gonna have to disagree here, their 'budget' model at circa 700 quid only has a 2 year warranty and ours fell apart. They happily offered us a bet, for £250 quid they would come and repair it no matter what the issue. I declined.

Go cheap or buy Miele (currently 14 years old). Anything in between is the worst of all worlds.

Our washing machine is pretty much flat out 24/7 so a long warranty works best for us. We've had loads over the years, including Miele, Bosch and now Samsung. The Bosch lasted quite a few years before the brushes went and took a load of other parts with them. The Miele kept breaking, and the cheap ones would usually fail well before even the standard one year warranty was up. The Samsung recently had the pump replaced - so my recommendation would be Bosch.

When my parents ran a guesthouse in Blackpool, all they did was buy the cheapest machine at the required size, and buy an extended warranty. In 21 years of almost constant use, they bought two machines with their own money.

advertisement

Back