advertisement

New Turntable Purchase in the last 10 years...

If you purchased a new turntable in the last 10 years what was its retail price:

• <£500

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • <£1000

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • <£3000

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • <£5000

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • <£10000

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • <£20000

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • <£30000

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • above £30000

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whats clicks and pops? Other than an indication you need to clean your records.

The difference between my transports/dac and vinyl front end is theatre, no more no less.

@G T Audio -- please feel free to take my knee-jerk reaction for the very little it's worth, but I think activity on the LP record side has picked up since 2014. I'm 43 and for the longest time was one of only two people I knew who had a turntable, but now there's lots more people in my circle who've gotten bitten by the bug. As regards the Solstice, if we were talking about the Naim Audio of old, I think it would be fair to write it off as a passion project -- but given their current VC overlords, I think the folks in Salisbury must have had to make a pretty convincing business case for building a turntable.

I showed the Solstice to my wife last night and her response was that "it looks like a robot cake", which I think is a pretty accurate aesthetic judgment, so I won't be having one. That said, I've spent 5,000+GBP on my LP12 over the last few years and love it. I think I may add the new bearing and a Keel sometime soon, but after that will look at keeping the Linn and buying or refurbishing a classic idler deck. The PTP Lencos look good and seem fuss-free, though I'm probably going to be tempted by the TD-124 and all the faff it entails. It's a looker, that one.

Joe

P.S. -- I may have to get a Convergence MM stage, as well. :D

Reactions: GT
If you purchased a turntable in the last 10 years could you please mark the box most relevant above?
This is in regard to new turntable purchases, not used ones. Thanks

P.S. the scale used > = up to £xxxx, not greater than £xxxx
There’s no multiple choice, but I’ve bought three under £500, one in the £500-£1000 bracket and all the mechaical bits of an LP12 including the Akurate level sub chassis… I’ve spent a few grand on cartridges too (although I’ve been running more affordable cartridges in the last couple of years).

I showed the Solstice to my wife last night and her response was that "it looks like a robot cake", which I think is a pretty accurate aesthetic judgment, so I won't be having one.

It’s certainly a better name than ‘Solstice’ and it shall henceforth be known as the Naim Robot Cake!

I haven't been tempted by a new turntable since buying my Linn new in 1987. But I have spent money it over time; the latest acquisition being the Karousel bearing. I don't suppose that counts as a new TT purchase, even if it sounds like I have a brand-new, bang up to date LP12.

The answer is 11 over 4 years for the whole of the Americas. I think that sums it up nicely, however I suspect they have sold about 4 times that in Japan and Hong Kong.

No real surprise there, Tom Fletcher told me over 20 years ago that his biggest market was Germany and the far east, especially for the more expensive models in the range, in fact the Deco TT was designed and built for the German Market initially as the distributor required a more expensive model.
Jon Michell also told that his export market was bigger than the domestic market, Sugden also confirmed they export a lot in comparison to the home market.

No real surprise there, Tom Fletcher told me over 20 years ago that his biggest market was Germany and the far east, especially for the more expensive models in the range, in fact the Deco TT was designed and built for the German Market initially as the distributor required a more expensive model.
Jon Michell also told that his export market was bigger than the domestic market, Sugden also confirmed they export a lot in comparison to the home market.

I’m sure that is right, but I think it is missing some context. To my understanding the UK audio market is unique as it bought-in so heavily to the Linn/Naim/Haymarket/BADA ‘flat earth’ thing of the ‘80s. I remember talking to Tom Fletcher about this and learning that his original ‘80s Dais design only had a subchassis at all due to this market pressure. He actually recommended it was used with the transit bolts in and locked down entirely negating it! This was the marketplace ‘group-think’ of that time and to some substantial degree it still exists within the mindset of those customers in a position to purchase very expensive turntables today. My guess is a lot of very expensive turntables are bought in the UK as there is a lot of money sloshing around in the more elderly circles, but most of them are made by Linn.

I do find the whole thing fascinating as hi-fi markets are surprisingly regional. You’ll typically find a different type of system in the UK, Japan/Hong Kong, America, Germany etc. Graham’s findings are to my mind that there isn’t a huge market for say JC Verdier or Thales in the UK, but I bet there is for upper-end Linn, and I suspect there will be for Naim too. I can easily believe these new turntables are flying out.

The people buying this type of kit are my generation upwards, i.e. those who got interested in audio back in the ‘70s and ‘80s and likely hung on every word in the audio press and dealers of that time. Many of us have broken ties with that era entirely (I consider myself to have far more of a Japanese/HK mindset these days), but many haven’t and I would bet it gives Linn a disproportionately large market-share within the UK market. The fact the LP12 is so upgradable helps hugely too, e.g. someone who started out with a Valhalla LP12/Basik Plus in the mid-80s could now be using a full Keel, Radikal, Ekos SE front end without ever having bought a brand new turntable.

Thing is, if you look through this incredibly non-representative sample not many have bought new TTs on the last 10 years. Upgrades on the back of decisions made many years ago is a different thing. Even the 2nd hand market for upper end TTs seems relatively weak on here?

In my peer group, plenty of people with similar or higher income to me; 3 have bought TTs all lower end. I know people riding £10k bikes who think I am nuts for spending £7k on speakers.

None of us know whether the new vinyl lovers will become audio enthusiasts (doubtful) my best guess is that Linn are correct in their HE dac approach. Far more appealing to the cash rich.

I’m sure that is right, but I think it is missing some context. To my understanding the UK audio market is unique as it bought-in so heavily to the Linn/Naim/Haymarket/BADA ‘flat earth’ thing of the ‘80s. I remember talking to Tom Fletcher about this and learning that his original ‘80s Dais design only had a subchassis at all due to this market pressure. He actually recommended it was used with the transit bolts in and locked down entirely negating it! This was the marketplace ‘group-think’ of that time and to some substantial degree it still exists within the mindset of those customers in a position to purchase very expensive turntables today. My guess is a lot of very expensive turntables are bought in the UK as there is a lot of money sloshing around in the more elderly circles, but most of them are made by Linn.

I do find the whole thing fascinating as hi-fi markets are surprisingly regional. You’ll typically find a different type of system in the UK, Japan/Hong Kong, America, Germany etc. Graham’s findings are to my mind that there isn’t a huge market for say JC Verdier or Thales in the UK, but I bet there is for upper-end Linn, and I suspect there will be for Naim too. I can easily believe these new turntables are flying out.

The people buying this type of kit are my generation upwards, i.e. those who got interested in audio back in the ‘70s and ‘80s and likely hung on every word in the audio press and dealers of that time. Many of us have broken ties with that era entirely (I consider myself to have far more of a Japanese/HK mindset these days), but many haven’t and I would bet it gives Linn a disproportionately large market-share within the UK market. The fact the LP12 is so upgradable helps hugely too, e.g. someone who started out with a Valhalla LP12/Basik Plus in the mid-80s could now be using a full Keel, Radikal, Ekos SE front end without ever having bought a brand new turntable.

I was going to mention the Linn/Naim flat earth 'following' of the 80's as I'm sure the way in which things were done had a massive impact on what was sold, Tom told me the story too of his first commercial TT design, quite funny how he described the suspended designs as 'bouncy bouncy'

Tom told me the story too of his first commercial TT design, quite funny how he described the suspended designs as 'bouncy bouncy'

Yes, he used that phrase with me too! A very bright guy, I learned a lot from him in a very short time. The thing that has stayed with me and been proven right so many times is his approach to bolt/fastener tightness (“aim for tight enough to stop whatever it is falling apart, but very little more”). The polar opposite to ‘Linn tight’ and consistently better sounding to my ears.

I’ve sort of gone full circle, started with pioneer DD,AR EB101, Linn basik, LP12, Kuzma stabi triplanar, brinkmann Bardot 10.5, and now view my dd Bardot as final deck, I may change carts or go back to tri planar but Bardot is a keeper. Makes everything else feel like toys, never had anything this well built.
I sent back to Germany last year for a service, ups misplaced it on route,brinkmann called me sameday they were told of delay, no waiting no fuss within 24hrs a brand new one was in post factory fresh. I presume mine turned up later.
Ex+ customer care.

I have no urge to buy yet another turntable. I have ten of those. I can use the one I want to use according to my mood of the moment.
Today it’s the Beogram 4000.
Will it be the Thorens or the Revox tomorrow? :)

I’ve sort of gone full circle, started with pioneer DD,AR EB101, Linn basik, LP12, Kuzma stabi triplanar, brinkmann Bardot 10.5, and now view my dd Bardot as final deck, I may change carts or go back to tri planar but Bardot is a keeper. Makes everything else feel like toys, never had anything this well built.
I sent back to Germany last year for a service, ups misplaced it on route,brinkmann called me sameday they were told of delay, no waiting no fuss within 24hrs a brand new one was in post factory fresh. I presume mine turned up later.
Ex+ customer care.

The more I hear about Brinkmann the more I like what I hear, I have a friend just has had his 27 year old preamp serviced and stereo amp upgraded to MK2 , I currently use a Brinkmann 10.0 tonearm on my Dais, if I was ever to change my TT Brinkmann would be my first choice to listen too.

In the UK, the most sought after audiophile turntables seem to center around Linn, Rega, SME, Michell and to a lesser extent names like Nottingham Analogue or WTA and a host of smaller makes. I can assure you that in the wider high end audiophile world, these names would not generally be considered the most desirable turntables. These well-heeled Audiophiles aspire to own makes like Kronos, Kuzma, Transrotor, Brinkmann, VPI, Basis, Thales, Triangle Art, TechDas, etc. A few may still want a Linn or Roksan but these people are usually the ones who had their tertiary education in the UK when these tables were a highly aspirational object in their youth.

The only UK table that seems to be on the high end radar is Touraj's Vertere.

I will likely never buy another TT. If I did I would look for a used Brinkmann or AC. Fuss-free and built to last. Maybe my brother will donate his Continuum to me. Ha!

The more I hear about Brinkmann the more I like what I hear, I have a friend just has had his 27 year old preamp serviced and stereo amp upgraded to MK2 , I currently use a Brinkmann 10.0 tonearm on my Dais, if I was ever to change my TT Brinkmann would be my first choice to listen too.

I really like my Brinkmann and can't praise Helmut's attention to detail and after sales service enough. I've had similar experience with TW. Both brands are built to last and hassle free in my experience. Of the UK manufacturers I would only consider NA, had most of the mid-high models and very happy with the service I've received over the years.

advertisement

Back