advertisement

E10 petrol

I checked a while ago and my E34 BMW 520i should be fine. Maybe not quite a classic yet but getting there...

For reference, most if not all premium 97/99 ron fuels will remain E5, such as Shell Vpower, which I suspect most classic owners already use unless they use additives.

Suzuki motorcycles after 2002 appear to be ok, so I’m good. What was the fuel that was introduced years back that damaged valves? I seen to remember fleets of Vauxhall’s getting damaged back in the day, I think it was post the unleaded introduction.

Suzuki motorcycles after 2002 appear to be ok, so I’m good. What was the fuel that was introduced years back that damaged valves? I seen to remember fleets of Vauxhall’s getting damaged back in the day, I think it was post the unleaded introduction.

Shell Super. It was bloody marvellous in motorbikes and in the case of an RD250 I had back then was like adding nitromethane!

Thanks Jez, I was thinking Formula Shell. The fuel popped into my head a few months back, big stink at the time I seem to remember,

Interesting that they've been using it for emissions testing purposes since 2016, so maybe your post 2016 car may not have been as clean as you thought for the past 5 years? From the Sun link

It is already used around the world, including across Europe, the US and Australia.

Since 2016 it has been the reference fuel for new cars to test their emissions and performance levels.

I would really, really like to know more about the source of the bio-ethanol before it is blandly touted as 'greener'. Usually, it is not -esp. if it diverts lands from food crops.

Amongst the most obvious/ egregious such claim is Bioethanol sourced in the US, which is all from corn - and for which, it takes 2galls of diesel in the farming, to deliver nearly 1gall of bioethanol (& this is a matter of long record.)

That's simply bloody idiotic, from every perspective. (but the subsidies! ah, the subsidies... is why)

ETA: Alcohol has very slightly less than 1/3rd the energy density of pump petrol, so we'll all use slightly more as result. E10 will be about 93% energy of a litre of E0, or about 96% of E5. So the extra ethanol content is going to be outweighed, on average, by about 1% more total fuel consumption averaged across the fleet fro a given distance travelled (mutatis mutandis) if my rough mental arithmetic is about right. Great: no net CO2 gain after all ... where does the alcohol come from again..?

Last edited:
Alcohol as a constituent doesn't clog anything - but it might well advance breakdown of certain fuel hose compositions; that's the most likely issue.

Alcohol -compatible new hose in any size off the reel is v.cheap; easy fuel/fool- proofing. I'm about to run sim throughout my toy, just becasue it's a cheap, worthwhile sense-check, on a car I've had over a decade. :)

I know a bloke who’s used E10 for several years with no mods on his Renault without any issues.

advertisement

Back