advertisement

Tonearm Advice Please?

PL135

pfm Member
A friend is looking at purchasing the Revolve Turntable and is unsure of arm options.
DSC9359-e1575187081612.jpg

I have been as helpful as I am able but am a bit out of my depth at the top-end of the turntable/arm market. Please could the PFM collective make some suggestions?

A link to the turntable in question - www.soundsnatural.co.za/index.php/revolve-turntable-project/

Thanking all in advance.

Regards
Peter

He is currently looking at the Hana ML as a starting point.
Seems a bit low end to go on potentially £25K of TT/Arm, maybe he's getting the TT at a significant discount. What have the dealer or previous owner he's buying from suggested? Should be a few more comments tomorrow hopefully.

I imagine that the new owner will be interested in arm aesthetics along with performance? Wonder if his taste veers toward simplicity or to steam punk??
Oh and 9”? 10.5” or 12”?

Schroeder LT , Reed 5T or Thales Statement would be the obvious choices for a TT in this price range.

Schroeder LT , Reed 5T or Thales Statement would be the obvious choices for a TT in this price range.
What cart and stage would you go for if you were the OPs mate?

I’d be thinking about the whole front end as a package when you’re talking about this much wedge/end game deck.

What cart and stage would you go for if you were the OPs mate?

I’d be thinking about the whole front end as a package when you’re talking about this much wedge/end game deck.

Well I guess it would depend on what tonearm to a certain extent , if for instance the Thales was chosen then a top model from the EMT range or the X-quisite perhaps accompanied by the EMT phono preamp would be fitting.
Perhaps a Lyra Atlas or stone bodied Koetsu or something of that calibre.
Phonostages, I guess it would depend on the system or where the interest is, some will go for a SUT and valve MM stage, others will opt for state of the art microprocessor controlled valve, hybrid or SS.
There's quite a lot of really high end Phonostages available from companies like Zanden, Aesthetix, Thomas Mayer, Kondo, CS port, CH Precision, that's just a few, I'm guessing it would come down to a choice of what's available in his country and what flavour he likes.

To be totally honest Gus, I never really look at stuff in this price range as it's never going to be realistic for me, I'm only aware of the tonearms as I have a particular interest in tonearms and had considered and still would consider the entry level or mid range level tonearms with these three manufacturers.
I'm sure there's other top MCs available too but likewise it's going to be the entry level and midrange options from Lyra, Koetsu and others that I'm interested in.

I would have thought the manufacturer would recommend a suitable tonearm and cartridge and would expect a 12". I wouldn't put a Hana ML on it

You'd need different mass arms for these, Darren. A stone bodied K really will deserve a 20g+ arm. The Lyra is relatively indifferent but no idea if they'll perform well in a more massy arm.

That deck is a looker; mainly because of its lovely polished laminated wood plinth, but the shape is reminiscent of the T.W. Acustic AC, which I still think is the epitome of aesthetic decks (or their Black Knight?). Wonder if the deck is up to the plinth.

and would expect a 12". I wouldn't put a Hana ML on it

Absolutely, as I think it may have two armboards, and to my mind, a 12" arm of quality is essential on this deck.

Question IS, how good is the sound of the deck. Lovely write up and a man with white gloves gave it a polish but that was also true about Monroe. Could she ACT tho?
Nope.
No point putting a good arm and cart on a deck that can't reveal what they do.

In fact....I watched 'some like it hot' last week on our blastfromthepast evening. It was crap (barring Jack Lemmon who was great) and Monroe?
hmmmmm.

You'd need different mass arms for these, Darren. A stone bodied K really will deserve a 20g+ arm. The Lyra is relatively indifferent but no idea if they'll perform well in a more massy arm.

If you look at the first sentence of my post you will read "Well I guess it will depend on what tonearm "

The Thales Statement has an effective mass of 24g , I guess the Reed and Schroeder may vary depending on the armwand material.

Thank you for all the responses and opinions thus far. It is most enlightening and much appreciated.

To be totally honest Gus, I never really look at stuff in this price range as it's never going to be realistic for me, I'm only aware of the tonearms as I have a particular interest in tonearms and had considered and still would consider the entry level or mid range level tonearms with these three manufacturers.

This is in line with my reason for the help request.

Regards
Peter

Well I guess it would depend on what tonearm to a certain extent , if for instance the Thales was chosen then a top model from the EMT range or the X-quisite perhaps accompanied by the EMT phono preamp would be fitting.
Phonostages, I guess it would depend on the system or where the interest is, some will go for a SUT and valve MM stage, others will opt for state of the art microprocessor controlled valve, hybrid or SS.
There's quite a lot of really high end Phonostages available from companies like Zanden, Aesthetix, Thomas Mayer, Kondo, CS port, CH Precision, that's just a few, I'm guessing it would come down to a choice of what's available in his country and what flavour he likes.

I'm sure there's other top MCs available too but likewise it's going to be the entry level and midrange options from Lyra, Koetsu and others that I'm interested in.
Cheers Darren, my next jump up will be to a similar level to the OP, currently aiming along the lines of SL1000R/ART1000/Aesthetix, but plenty time to decide/demo before I blow a wedge of the retirement lump sum.

Cheers Darren, my next jump up will be to a similar level to the OP, currently aiming along the lines of SL1000R/ART1000/Aesthetix, but plenty time to decide/demo before I blow a wedge of the retirement lump sum.

Good for you! There's certainly some really nice stuff to consider in that price range.

advertisement

Back